• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Californian Horsehide Jackets

Happy Hooligan

thought it might be nice to start a Californian Jacket thread.
tag.jpg

This is mine not sure of the model's name, but goodwear makes a very similar copy of it...
3129090888_f73f7bca2c.jpg

Mines a 44, but a really big 44 (especially considering the age)

I think I need a 42.

Anybody have one that they'd like to sell or trade for a 44?

Happy Hooligan

3128263483_916f3dc378.jpg

these shots were right after I got it and oiled it up with pecards...

I'll try to get some "action shots" of what it looks like on this weekend.

I really love this style of jacket, but with it were a tad bit smaller...

Baron Kurtz

1930s-40s, styled by Ronnie Reagan. I know of tie-ins with at least 2 others - Alan Ladd and George Brent. Really well made, and "washable goatskin". Californian made some sweet jackets … I can't quite work out from Tanaka's books whether the pink or grren mountains are the first pattern label. He says one thing in one book, but appears to say the opposite in the other book.

ReaganGoat1.jpg

ReaganGoat2.jpg

ReaganGoat3.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Baron Kurtz said:
1930s-40s, styled by Ronnie Reagan. I know of tie-ins with at least 2 others - Alan Ladd and George Brent.

I have my step father's jacket, with the Styled by Alan Ladd label. Late '40's, it's a conventional suede sportscoat style, with patch pockets ... the mountains are pink.

Carl, you shoulda picked one of the short ones. ;)

asiamiles

Do you think these were really styled by the actors or is it more likely a simple case of product endorsement? That Ronnie Reagan is a very nice one. My Californian repro by Toyo can be found in the General Discussion forum.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
... or is it more likely a simple case of product endorsement?

That one ...

Now that I look again, the actual wording on mine is THE NEW ALAN LADD SUEDE MASTERPIECE.

asiamiles

I don't know about Ladd, without checking, but those labels reveal both Reagan and Brent were under contract to Warner Bros at the time, so it seems this was some sort of collaborative promotion between studio and clothing company. I guess it's the sort of thing I associate more with the world of today than with 1940's.

I actually know next to nothing about Californian, but this suggests they were quite high end.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
I actually know next to nothing about Californian, but this suggests they were quite high end.

Mine is beautiful, very fine soft suede, and features a lot of hand stitching.

... but then for JC to adopt them, you know they had to be good. ;)

Baron Kurtz

I think there's some mileage for dating them in the "Warner Brothers First National Star" designation. At some point after the takeover, Warner Bros stopped crediting First National but I don't think this was until the middle-late '50s. Reagan, for one, was only a star - and even that's tenuous - for a very very brief period in the late 1930s and early 40s. He really was a dreadful actor, as became apparent and necessitated his move to B movies etc. His corny delivery actually works quite well in b movies. Also, i've been able to find ads for the Alan Ladd tie-in/cross-marketing, but nothing for the Reagan or Brent. There is mention in an Orlando Sentinel article from 1987, but i've been unable to track down such an ad.

Orlando Sentinel said:
After the war, ex-servicemen on the GI Bill wore their flight jackets on campus, partly because they were comfortable, utilitarian garments, and partly because they had ''war hero'' written all over them.

''The fashion industry picked it up almost immediately and came out with a civilian counterpart,'' said Jack Hyde, a professor at the Fashion Institute of Technology, in New York. ''It was good looking then, and it's a classic today.''

A 1940s advertisement for one of these fashion-version flight jackets is now famous: It was run by the California Sportwear Co., and was modeled by a young contract actor by the name of Ronald Reagan.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Thanks for the ad, BK ... mine's the sand colour, but with narrower lapels, and three patch pockets.

That one's looking a little short on Alan.

Happy Hooligan

Perfect fit on that one!

I think Californian is my favorite vintage jacket manuf. Each one has a unique look and each one has aged to perfection... I wonder if their horsehide was just for them or other makers used it also?

I haven't seen one though with my same cuff set up yet.

bjoy

Baron Kurtz said:
1930s-40s, styled by Ronnie Reagan. I know of tie-ins with at least 2 others - Alan Ladd and George Brent. Really well made, and "washable goatskin". Californian made some sweet jackets … I can't quite work out from Tanaka's books whether the pink or grren mountains are the first pattern label. He says one thing in one book, but appears to say the opposite in the other book.

ReaganGoat1.jpg

ReaganGoat2.jpg

ReaganGoat3.jpg

Looks like Ronnie and Dane had similar tastes. (Pictures below from a currently active eBay auction.)

5638576829_095df57cd7_m.jpg

5639153338_d8d58cfc0c_m.jpg

5639153372_7598e92714_m.jpg

Chris217

Happy Hooligan said:
thought it might be nice to start a Californian Jacket thread.
tag.jpg

This is mine not sure of the model's name, but goodwear makes a very similar copy of it...
3129090888_f73f7bca2c.jpg

Mines a 44, but a really big 44 (especially considering the age)

I think I need a 42.

Anybody have one that they'd like to sell or trade for a 44?

That looks alot like the jacket Mike Wolfe wears on the History Channels "American Pickers."