• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAL-AERO

ties70

IMG_20210215_2057501~2.jpg

B-Man2

Ties
That patch looks very cool. I’m not familiar with the background of that patch or unit . Please tell me a little about it.
thanks

ties70

Burt,

the very short answer is:

"This is the patch of the 2nd Army Air Forces Flight Training Detachment - 2nd A.A.F.F.T.D. , which I royally screwed up by forgetting one of th "F"'s...".

The AAFFTDs were often flight schools on pre-war civilian air fields, taken over by the Air Corps, enhanced with major updates like concrete runways. As far as I understand it, existing flight schools and instructors were often used by the AAF to train the military personnel.

The CAL-AERO Academy ran the Ontario Airfield in Ontario, California.

A friend from the US ordered a civilian flight instructor jacket from our member Shawn and asked me to make him this "fantasy" patch of letters and cartoon.

IMG_20210216_1909473~2.jpg

As I mentioned, I screwed it up by missing one letter... Fortunately, I was able to mix the correct blue within 2 minutes (this often takes me hours and I still end up with totally off colours), so the new letters were done in minimum time..

Ties

Last edited: