• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cable Raincoat A-2 CBI

Ken at Aero Leather

One oddity

I've handled 100s of these CBI jacket but I've never seen one before where a flag/chit combo is attached by a "T" shaped stitch pattern but not as always in two rectangles
Your chit was attached to the bottom of the flag before sewing to your jacket rather than both sewn on individually

Ken at Aero Leather

Thanks for your careful studying Ken! I took some of the white stitching that hung loose...it immediately broke, so is probably old. I have written a nice letter to the original owners widow. She is in her seventies now, and hope she remembers selling it or anything. I thought contacting her via snail mail is the best way to go. Nobody likes phonecalls out of the blue... Ans I will do nothing to the jacket except showing it and keep it clean and dry. If I get any reaction with stuff to add to the story I will post it here of course.. Thanks!
You could try emailing Denny at the Aero factory to see if he can look in the three huge CBI books in our archives, at least two have a big index in the back with photos and profiles. It may be that there is something on your Vet.

B-Man2

I’m not doubting what you say , but the original owners widow would have to be older than in her 70s . I’m guessing late 80s early 90s at the least.

Edward

I’m not doubting what you say , but the original owners widow would have to be older than in her 70s . I’m guessing late 80s early 90s at the least.
ya 70s would be his daughter. my grandfather served in WWII in the South Pacific. his oldest (my mom) is now 72

Art65

ya 70s would be his daughter. my grandfather served in WWII in the South Pacific. his oldest (my mom) is now 72
He got married in 1981..younger wife..He married his sister in laws sister... Complicated. His brother was also an USAAF pilot

Micawber

:oops:

Not neccessarily so...................he could have been what was known back then as a "cradle snatcher"

Aye, I had an uncle who served in the RAF during WW2, only crew survivor after their Halibag was shot down, who teamed up with a young thing in his 7th decade, she produced at least one bundle of joy by him as a result.