• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Rickson N-1 Deck Jacket photos.

oose

Hi,
love your new jacket, I think they look so much better with a little salt!

P.S.

I have the same as Peter on my same period deck-hat navy contract NXsx 96660.

usn.jpg

your stu

rich

Pete, is there a book you would recommend more akin to "gear up" or "art of the flying jacket" that covers naval clothing in WW2?

Peter Graham

rich said:
Pete, is there a book you would recommend more akin to "gear up" or "art of the flying jacket" that covers naval clothing in WW2?
Rich, I don't know of one but there may be a book out there. The book I mentioned "Spearheading D-Day" has many period and contempory photos of US Navy uniforms and equipment used in Normandy but I don't think that's really what you're looking for. Here's a few pics of my US Navy M-41 jacket if you're interested.
m41003.jpg

jackets011.jpg

havocpaul

On the subject of books, Schiffer books recently published a series of large (heavy!) books covering USN associated clothing and gear including one on the USN/USMC flight clothing. Another was on the beach units and there were good examples of N-1 jackets in original and colour photos. These books sell in UK for £50+ so I haven't invested yet although in the USA they will be cheaper, go to the Schiffer web site. I am liking the new Buzz Rickson 'sea-wash' N-1 that ELC are offering.

rich

Rich, I don't know of one but there may be a book out there. The book I mentioned "Spearheading D-Day" has many period and contempory photos of US Navy uniforms and equipment used in Normandy but I don't think that's really what you're looking for. Here's a few pics of my US Navy M-41 jacket if you're interested.

Now then Mr Graham, I think you're trying to lead me astray now! :lol: Another excellent original you have though, how does it compare to the N1 - was it part of the same lineage? (Now you know why I was after a book!)

rich

havocpaul said:
On the subject of books, Schiffer books recently published a series of large (heavy!) books covering USN associated clothing and gear including one on the USN/USMC flight clothing. Another was on the beach units and there were good examples of N-1 jackets in original and colour photos. These books sell in UK for £50+ so I haven't invested yet although in the USA they will be cheaper, go to the Schiffer web site. I am liking the new Buzz Rickson 'sea-wash' N-1 that ELC are offering.

Thanks for that Paul, I have a few of Schiffer's tomes, they are expensive as you say but always good quality I think. I'll check out the site, it hadn't even occured to me, thanks.

asiamiles

rich said:
Nothing nerdish in what you say Peter - on the website they call it an exact duplication but on their earlier unfaded version, that lettering is much closer to your original.

Presumably Buzz used a different typeface to immediately differentiate the "Sea Water Wash" jacket from their regular N-1. I'm no expert but while it's not the most common stamp seen on N-1's it doesn't look wrong or out-of-place (it is an authentic USN stamp) and one can find all sorts of lettering on some old N-1's

Peter Graham

Rich, the Navy M-41 is more of a medium weight jacket compared to the N-1. It's made of the same sateen cotton as the Army M-41 but lacks the cuff and waist adjustment and the bi-swing back and epulettes. The colour is OD-7 as opposed to the OD-3 of the Army jacket. The blanket lining is a bit thicker than the Army model. These used to be dime a dozen on ebay but seem to have dried up recently.

A

Anonymous

Rich,
How is the N-1 looking these days after a year of wear ? Still happy with it ? Does it look any older than when you got it ? And has the salt water wash process reduced the integrity of the jacket in any way, making it less durable in you opinion ?

I ask as I've ordered on from Eastman which should be with me any day.

Cheers,
Dave

jack aranda

I got my BR N-1 last September, purchased from Marcvs66. I've worn it quite a bit this past Fall and into the Winter. It is warm, and comfortable, oh, yes is it warm! Two BIG thumbs up for those features. But, I'm disappointed in the zipper, which would be the right weight for a nylon windbreaker, but, not for a service jacket worn on the deck of ship at sea. I once owned a '50's issue N-1; the zipper on that jacket was a heavy, substantial bit of hardware, suited to the jacket in which it was placed. The zipper in the BR is not what I'd expect in a work jacket.

2779731570104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2763881170104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

Peter, it sounds like both you and JACKET_HEAD know a considerable amount about the BR N-1's. Can you give me some additional info on this? BTW, my 'whinging' about the zipper is NO reflection on Marc who sold me the jacket. Gotta be clear about that. Thanks for any info you can pass along.

A

Anonymous

Hi Jack, one of the jackets I have the same BR jacket as yours. Although that doesn't get much wear as it's a 44 and i
I'm a 46 chest (but working on reducing that !) and as they are a snug jacket anyways, it is a little snugger on me than I like. I tend to wear my USN deck zip a lot more. It is also a very warm jacket and my personal favourite - at least until the arrival of the salt water wash N-1.

What is it you are wanting to know more about ? The history or the BR version of it or originals ?

I make no claim to being an 'expert' as I don't have the eye for detail that some members have. I haven't counted the number of stripes per inch of cord there are and done comparisons etc. However, I have had several originals (and still kick myself for selling a mint 46 chest green N-1 10 years ago or so) but what little I know I'm happy to share with you.

Dave

jack aranda

Hi, Dave:
My question centers on the zipper used in the BR N-1, blue version. It seems awfully light duty for a work jacket. Was this, in fact, the Navy issue zipper? Or, has BR substituted a modern 'equivalent'? A minor issue, but, when the lightweight zipper sticks, it is annoying. Thanks.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Ben, the correct zipper for these early jackets appears to be a No. 5, the same size used for the A-2. Buzz have the size, and style right ...

http://www.buzzricksons.jp/product/us_navy-0005.html

... but squinting at the original illustrated in Suit Up, the puller is much longer than usual, maybe twice as long. I don't know if all the blue N-1's had this longer puller, but it would certainly be easier to use.

jack aranda

Hi, David:
You're right about the long pull, as shown in the website pics you referenced. I've re-inspected the zipper; it's stamped 'conmatic', as it should be. So, at the end, my highly speculative guess is that the lightweight zipper was a design flaw in the original, one that the Navy corrected in later versions of their jacket by adding a heavier, larger zip. In reference to this same zipper being used in the A-2, if I bought a high-end A-2 repro with this zipper in it, I would feel cheated. Flimsy is the word for this zipper.

And, now, I'm going to offer myself some good advice and 'zip' it about the zipper. I do like my N-1, and, by golly, if I don't like the zipper, well, I can just use the buttons! Thank you, JACKET_HEAD and David for your help and info. I always learn something useful here, and it's always a pleasure to talk with you guys. Cheers.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
jack aranda said:
You're right about the long pull, as shown in the website pics you referenced.

Ben, the website pics show what I imagined to be your zipper, they are NOS, and Buzz used them in other repros like the B-10. The puller on that zip measures 5/8", the correct puller looks to be at least 1 1/2".

With regard to the A-2 zipper, I was referring to size, not quality ... :)

A

Anonymous

Ben,
I can't add more than David has already said. I'd always thought the zippers were NOS and if I recall correctly, were the same as my green original although that had a brass zippers rather than nickel.

My BR USN deck zip jacket also has the same zipper ...............
IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

Cheers,
Dave