• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Rickson MA-1

SpeednAngels

watchmanjimg said:
I can't speak for USAFWSO, but I'm certainly not pissed off by your remarks. However, I'd like to see one of these black issued jackets if they exist. Remember, none of us said the military never used black MA-1s. We're just saying they appear to have been commercially procured, rather than made pursuant to a contract.

none taken we always wondered how the Security Police got those.
we tried many times to steal them even.. but no sucess they
guarded them better than they did the gates. ha! I am sure

Weasel_Loader

I agree, that if any GI wore a black MA-1, it was commercially procured outside normal channels. That's just my opinion. Not sure how that stuff worked in the 60s or 70s. During my days in the AF, I saw this practice used much more in the later years where the squadron would do a one-time buy through commercial agencies to buy everyone good quality boots (usually with fall-out money). I have had friends that worked special ops and they do this stuff ALL the time since it's quicker than going through government procurement. Just my thoughts only. ;)

SpeednAngels

Weasel_Loader said:
I agree, that if any GI wore a black MA-1, it was commercially procured outside normal channels. That's just my opinion. Not sure how that stuff worked in the 60s or 70s. During my days in the AF, I saw this practice used much more in the later years where the squadron would do a one-time buy through commercial agencies to buy everyone good quality boots (usually with fall-out money). I have had friends that worked special ops and they do this stuff ALL the time since it's quicker than going through government procurement. Just my thoughts only. ;)

Check six!

rich

cwu.jpg

This from a CWU45 (?) which was on ebay earlier this year, no idea if it's a genuine issue or made for civvy street ........ quite old though. Apoligies for the bad picture, it's one from the auction and has been enlarged.

watchmanjimg

This looks like one of the civilian-spec CWU copies that have been circulating for quite a while. As the label indicates, the jacket is made of ordinary nylon rather than high temperature-resistant aramid fiber/Nomex. You can also make out what looks like a '75 DSA number, which is inconsistent with the 1984 date towards the top of the label and in any case I believe DSA became DLA by sometime in the '80s.

rich

watchmanjimg said:
This looks like one of the civilian-spec CWU copies that have been circulating for quite a while. As the label indicates, the jacket is made of ordinary nylon rather than high temperature-resistant aramid fiber/Nomex. You can also make out what looks like a '75 DSA number, which is inconsistent with the 1984 date towards the top of the label and in any case I believe DSA became DLA by sometime in the '80s.

I know hardly anything about these jackets - as you must have realised! - but should have picked up on that complete lack of fire-resistant material,
thanks watchmanjimg.
Any ideas when these kinds of materials were standardised ?

watchmanjimg

I believe the first contract for the original cold-weather Nomex jacket (sometimes called the "pre-CWU") was let in 1973, but production began around 1975.

usafwso

The USAF prior to June 1980 was a bit before my time. However, all the SP's I saw in those days had those jackets with the furry collars. As for any particular SP squadron at any particular base, is certainly possible.

I can clearly remember in college in 1980, somewhere in Colorado Springs, a few notes going out for those fliers STILL wearing MA-1 & L-2B to bring them into their unit supply for the nomex replacements.

usafwso

If one wants to get picky, in college Cadets were issues a cotton/polyester blend MA-1 style jacket. I think that they still use those. .

But the big picture would indicate clearly indicate that there were no black jackets for flyers. For some SP squadron from some long closes base, perhaps.

usafwso

Does anyone remember the old style USAF dark blue uniform shirt? While not quite a flight jacket, interesting never the less.

Off to a three week Maui vacation!

Weasel_Loader

usafwso said:
Does anyone remember the old style USAF dark blue uniform shirt? While not quite a flight jacket, interesting never the less.

Off to a three week Maui vacation!

I think I was in my Tech School when we had an instructor wearing one of those. We'd never seen it before and he'd told us the Air Force was phasing it out. I think that was the first and only time I ever say anyone wearing it. It was sharp indeed and wonder why they got rid of it. :roll: The khakis (1505s?) were before my time too and never understood why they got rid of them since I thought they looked good with the blue ties and blue "Bus Driver" hats.