• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Rickson M-42 jump jacket info needed

Peter Graham

I've been hankering after an original jump jacket for a long time but the prices they are fetching these days are serious. Even if I could afford one I would not feel comfortable wearing a thousand dollar jacket as an everyday wearer which is what I want the jacket for. I've never bought a high end repro before as I can pick up originals in my size quite easily but I've come to the conclusion that if I want an M-42 I'll have to buy a Buzz Rickson. They are about three times the price of the other M-42 repros. My question is, are they worth it ? The zippers are original WW2 Conmars and they claim the cut, colour and materials are identical to originals. The label has Buzz Rickson printed on it, which I don't like, but that's a minor detail. If anyone owns one of these jackets or has compared one to an original or one of the cheaper repros I'd be very interested in your input.

asiamiles

tcwu said:
Real McCoy's 08 year book also has one with side by side comparison.
RM's version is significantly more expensive than BR's, so probably not the best option for Peter.

I had a Buzz but I didn't really like it, partly I think, because I'm not too partial to unlined jackets as they don't really provide much in the way of warmth. I like to feel I'm wearing a jackets.

I had a 38, which is my size, and it was quite fitted; it wasn't too small as the back expanded, but it didn't feel quite right, so if you are planning to wear it over a sweater (rather than just over a t-shirt as a summer safari jacket) then you might want to go up a size.

I can't compare them to an original, but if the basic design is what you're looking for, I would imagine you'd be happy with Buzz's repro.

kevlarg

I recently picked up an original off of Ebay. It was poorly listed and filthy but the price was good, as in the shipping cost almost as much. I washed it by hand in the tub with woolite and after 4 times it came clean. It has a jump wing oval stitched on the front and an Airborne Command patch on the left shoulder. The spec tag is missing but the zips are correct and the snaps are blackened steel.

I would say that it feels almost like wearing a shirt with huge pockets rather than a jacket. It is very fitted. I wear a modern size 38 and this jacket is a 36. Its very cool but a weird feel when wearing it. Mine is not rigger modified and I can see why they would need that. The material is like a pair khaki pants.

The buzz looks really nice to me. At the front makes a nice one but the zippers seem kind of cheap.

Peter Graham

kevlarg said:
I recently picked up an original off of Ebay. It was poorly listed and filthy but the price was good, as in the shipping cost almost as much.
You lucky swine ! :mrgreen:

kevlarg

Peter Graham said:
kevlarg said:
I recently picked up an original off of Ebay. It was poorly listed and filthy but the price was good, as in the shipping cost almost as much.
You lucky swine ! :mrgreen:

It was one of those moments when i couldn't believe what I was looking at and I clicked the buy it now without thought. I was shaking for a few minutes afterwards since I could not believe it.

The jacket smelled like a 60+ year old ashtray when I got it. The first two washes the water came out dark brown like coffee with no milk.

The jacket is not perfect but its in very good shape considering its age.

1186_1.JPG
12af_1.JPG

asiamiles

kevlarg said:
I would say that it feels almost like wearing a shirt with huge pockets rather than a jacket. It is very fitted.

Yes, that's pretty much the feeling I got from the Buzz.