• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Rickson ' Loud ' MA-1 - Northrop F-89 Version..

Rutger

That's cool, get some "live" pictures posted when it arrives.
Never seen one for sale unfo and the claim by BR of its origin is debated iirc.

Monsoon

Weird. I was just thinking about the red BR MA-1 and was doing a google search for pics about an hour or so ago.

Nice catch!

ausreenactor

Willy McCoy said:
Has this jacket arrived yet? Would love one meself!

It has.. too big. :(

Large or X-Large would suit, if I could find one. Anybody want an XX-Large
in pretty much as new condition? Pics to follow..

Couchy

dmar836

Was this a real item or simply a reversed MA-1? That color could be interpreted differently on film.
Dave

ausreenactor

The 2008/2009 Buzz Rickson catalogues show two aircrew beside an F-89 with the red jackets and what look like K-2B or heavier flight suits. They do not appear to be patched in the same manner as the Buzz Rickson item. Assumption here is that Northrop may have used a civilian jacket for their R&D/test pilots? And then Buzz took it to the next level(profit level) with the patches. I think a lot of the F-89s had red paint on the pods or tails...(among many other colours)....

Off to collect school uniforms and will then take a few pics and measurements...

Couchy

Rutger

dmar836 said:
Was this a real item or simply a reversed MA-1? That color could be interpreted differently on film.
Dave

The inner pocket entry is vertical, the outer pocket entry is angled, that should also be a clue whether worn inside-out or not.

ausreenactor

Here are some pics..

Measurements for anybody interested...

Chest 27 3/4
Zipper 22 1/2
Flat waist 22 1/2
Shoulders 21 1/4
Back 25 3/4
Sleeve (seam to end of knit) 26
Sleeve (collar seam, around sleeve to end of knit) 34

Presently 45" chest and 210 in the pics.. Sleeve would suit a hefty chest and shoulders.

Peter Graham

When I first looked at the photos I thought "no way", a red MA-1. I've just tuned in again. It actually looks pretty cool apart from one thing. Trev, could you actually wear a jacket with a name strip "Wild Jerry" ?.........

Monsoon

Peter Graham said:
When I first looked at the photos I thought "no way", a red MA-1. I've just tuned in again. It actually looks pretty cool apart from one thing. Trev, could you actually wear a jacket with a name strip "Wild Jerry" ?.........

I was thinking the same thing; that name tape would have to go!