• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Rickson Deck Jackets

A

Anonymous

As autumn is upon us and winter isn't far away, I thought I'd start this thread. I recently bought a Buzz Rickson deck jacket, the short one, from a forum member. It's an incredibly warm and practical jacket. Ideal for driving. It's lined like the originals with some kind of cellulose (?) membrane to keep the rain out. That means it makes a bit of a rustling sound - especially when new - but this gets less noticable over time. It's a big jacket in that I got the largest size (44) but it fits me and I'm a 46-48 chest with broad shoulders. It has an original period zipper - always a nice touch - and the Bedfor Cord is a lovely looking and feeling material.
I recommend it to anyone !
I'll post better photos if there'e interest, including being worn, as flash photography doesn't show the colour or details very well.

PHOTOS SHIFTED TO OTHER THREAD TO AVOID DUPLICATION.

I've just ordered the BR version of the N-1 and hope to receive that by the beginning of next week. I'll post photos of that in due course.
Cheers,
Dave

Peter Graham

Really nice jacket. Enjoy it. I was interested to read that you have ordered an N-1. I hope you like it. They are perfect for the British winter. I don't have the BR version but I've been wearing a WW2 original for about three years. It's as tough as old boots but the alpaca lining is really soft and warm. They are cut really trim which I like and a very practical length. Mine was nearly mint when I got it but the past three winters have taken their toll. The label was perfect but its badly faded now and the Belford cord has faded like a pair of jeans, which I like. I thought you might be interested in some photos to compare yours too.
N-1005.jpg

N-1001.jpg

N-1002.jpg

N-1003.jpg

N-1004-1.jpg

rich

I really like this jacket Dave, but have been put off a little by the lettering on the back - would you say it's something you stop noticing after a while? I appreciate that it's there for authenticity! Be great to see the N1 if you manage to get some shots.

A

Anonymous

rich said:
I really like this jacket Dave, but have been put off a little by the lettering on the back - would you say it's something you stop noticing after a while? I appreciate that it's there for authenticity! Be great to see the N1 if you manage to get some shots.

Hi Rich,
I'll get some photos of the back over the weekend. The letterig is actually more dull silver gray than white and doesn't really scream out so much as it would if it were white.

Peter,
GREAT jacket !! I had oneof those originals in a size 46" that was near mint. But, as is often the way, I had too many jackets and that was oe I sold on. Regretted it ever since. That's wht I've gone for a Buzz. I can't find a 44" original and I do like the blue because, as you so rightly said, the Bedford Cord fades beautifully.
As a snug jacket thay insulate quite well and don't let drafts in. Can't wait for mine to arrive !!

Cheers,
Dave

asiamiles

I have both Buzz blue Deck and Buzz OD N-1 jackets, the latter still unworn!

I keep reading about the Deck jackets fitting large but mine is a 38 and fits to size; I guess it depends which lot the specifc jacket comes from. My deck jacket is the Seabees one, with the Seabees emblem as well as USN on the back. Like many flight jackets I find the jacket a little short on me, making me wonder if I should hold onto it, as I've only worn it a couple of times, though I prefer the cut to the not entirely dissimilar Tanker jacket.

rich

I'll get some photos of the back over the weekend. The letterig is actually more dull silver gray than white and doesn't really scream out so much as it would if it were white. Quote

Thanks Dave, I'd be very interested to see how it looks.

Tim P

I just couldnt get on with the lettering (even though the wearer cant see it when it is on) What would I give for a plain one....

Willy McCoy

Nice jacket Dave. I like the lettering. It gives the jacket the "look". I used to speculate on eBay for the deck jackets, but was put off by the sizing. I thought I'd be safe with a 42 but found them to be short in the sleeves which is bad for cold/rainy/windy days.

A

Anonymous

asiamiles said:
I have both Buzz blue Deck and Buzz OD N-1 jackets, the latter still unworn!

I keep reading about the Deck jackets fitting large but mine is a 38 and fits to size; I guess it depends which lot the specifc jacket comes from. My deck jacket is the Seabees one, with the Seabees emblem as well as USN on the back. Like many flight jackets I find the jacket a little short on me, making me wonder if I should hold onto it, as I've only worn it a couple of times, though I prefer the cut to the not entirely dissimilar Tanker jacket.

I think that it's the N-1 that fits 'snug'. The shorter one is very large fitting.

Dave

asiamiles

JACKET_ HEAD said:
I think that it's the N-1 that fits 'snug'. The shorter one is very large fitting.

Mine isn't; it fits to size. So it must depend on the batch ie. when the jacket was made.

A

Anonymous

I agree Miles. Personally, having had a BR Tanker, I don't like them. The long bi-swing back makes the jacket look really weird. A cut like the G-1 or like the shorty deck jacket would have been fine though. As they are they make your shoulders and back look very strange IMVHO.

Dave