• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz M-41 compared to an original

Peter Graham

I'm sorry if this comparison has been done before but here goes. I bought this jacket a few weeks ago from Buzz Rickson's re issue page. It was the last one left and in my size too so after a few glasses of courage I took the plunge. My justification was that the M-41 is just about my favourite WW2 jacket and my original is too nice to wear on a regular basis so if I'm going to buy a repro, why not buy a good one ? I've always been a bit suspicious of Buzz jackets. Every one I've owned has been beautifully made but when compared to an original, sadly lacking in many areas. Their M-41 is no exception, but this is the first time I've owned a Buzz and an original at the same time. What I'm comparing is a size 36 original to a 38 Buzz. Both fit as they should. Original army field jackets always fit at least a size larger. The 38 Buzz fits as a modern 38. They weigh about the same. Here's some comparison pics.

The cut is pretty good but the Buzz is a lighter shade of OD, more khaki. Surely a brand new jacket should be darker than a 72 year old one ? Original M-41's started out as OD 7 . That's where the Buzz should be. The shell looks and feels perfect in weave and weight. The sleeves of the Buzz are baggier than the original. A major faux pas in my book. Buzz in the first photo, then the original

The buttons on the Buzz are identical in size and shape but are a darker brown. I've been told originals were made in this shade but I've yet to see any.Also note the difference in stitching pattern.

Buzz buttonholes on top. Totally different.

Buzz label is prety good although the layout is slightly different.

Zipper is pretty spot on, length wise, but I'll take Buzz's marketing ploy of advertising the zippers as 1942 originals with a pinch of salt. The Conmatic brand name, to the best of my knowledge, didn't exist until the early 50's. Still, it's a nice change from the YKK or nasty looking Talons on other repros. I may change the slider to an original Conmar. I'd bet also that there's an order somewhere that stipulated OD zipper tape. This is not an Air Force jacket !

The waist and sleeve tabs. Notice how on the original the stitching continues to the edges, forming small squares in the corners but the Buzz has two seperate lines

Buzz's worst offence, and I've noticed this on every Buzz jacket I've owned, is that the lining is wrong. The original has a fine wool lining that can be worn comfortably next to the skin but the Buzz jacket has a rough wool, or possibly synthetic lining that looks totally wrong, is the wrong colour and is itchy as hell.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding overly negative about this jacket and I could be justifiably accused of nit picking, but that's what we do here, we nit pick. Buzz Rickson are lauded as the premier makers of cloth and nylon jackets, so nit picking is justified. My only problem is that I'm comparing it to just one jacket. Maybe it's like comparing a repro Perry A-2 to an original Star ? If anyone has an original M-41 then your input would be much appreciated.

watchmanjimg

Peter, as you may recall I have an unissued original M41. I also owned an excellent used example that I only sold because it was snug-fitting. I agree with your observations for the most part, but since we're nit-picking I'll remind you that the correct color for Army M41s is OD3 (I suspect this is merely a typo on your part). ;)

Below is the link to a prior thread containing pics of both of my originals. The unissued 40R appears to have the darker brown buttons you referenced.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=199&hilit=41&start=20

Peter Graham

watchmanjimg said:
I agree with your observations for the most part, but since we're nit-picking I'll remind you that the correct color for Army M41s is OD3 (I suspect this is merely a typo on your part). ;)

Actually Jim, it wasn't a typo. The way I've always understood it is that OD3 is the shade used on early war web equipment and jackets such as the tanker and M-42 jump jacket. As you know, an unfaded M-41 is a lot darker than this. OD7, or am I off the mark ? Here's another comparison shot I forgot to include. The original is on top. They both have four lines of strengthening stitching running around the base of the collar but the original has ten lines of stitching running from the base to the edge in five triangle patterns whereas the Buzz has twelve lines in six triangle patterns. Jim, would you mind checking the details I've mentioned, especially the button holes, on your M-41's ? That way we can start to get an idea if they varied in detail or if the spec was rigid.

jack31916

Great comparison indeed. I've owned a couple of original jackets but sold them all of for some reason. The only thing left is an original Talon zipper...

I'm with Watchmanjim that the colour is OD-3. The later M-1943 uniform is best described as OD-7.

Also an old thread with comparisons between original jackets http://www.yankreenactment.nl/uniforms/m-41-jacket/

Regards from Jack

oose

Thanks Peter,
nice to have a comparison, never handled a buzz before, a few originals, whats the arm length like on the buzz compared to original, I've always found on their nylon that there to long.

All the best
Stu

foster

Actually, the specification of the jacket color is OD #2.

OD 3 was the color for field gear and webbing. OD 7 was the later, darker green used for webbing.

Significant color variation was the norm.

I have owned about 6 original M-1941 field jackets over the past few decades. I have sold off most, but still retain a few.

The variation in sewing details is not unusual. There were numerous contractors making these, and just like the differences we see in the A-2 jacket, there were subtle differences in the M-1941. The only difference is that there has not been as diligent a study of these as there have been with the A-2. Since the '41 was not as durable they have become more of a challenge to find today. Add to that the weak printed label which was easily torn out of the pocket, and it means one must find near mint examples to study to learn the differences. The A-2 label was a lot more durable!

watchmanjimg

foster said:

Do you have any references to back up this claim? I'm curious because it seems to contradict every other source I've run across.

ausreenactor

watchmanjimg said:
foster said:

Do you have any references to back up this claim? I'm curious because it seems to contradict every other source I've run across.

Debating #2's. Shit just got serious! ;) Ask Rollin at 'At The Front' about the khaki/OD debate. He LOVES it.

watchmanjimg

ausreenactor said:
watchmanjimg said:
foster said:

Debating #2's. sh*t just got serious! ;) Ask Rollin at 'At The Front' about the khaki/OD debate. He LOVES it.

No debate here, I asked for a reference because the major reproducers and numerous other sources state the color as OD #3 and I'd be surprised to learn there's been a conspiracy all these years. I can't help believing that Foster's source appears more reliable than the aforementioned, but I'm surprised that others haven't encountered similar documents.

Look this up on Google and hear the crickets chirp . . .

foster

I sent that same link to Rollin of At The Front a month or so ago.

I enjoyed studying the history of American uniforms and webbing and when I found that link I had to revisit some notions I had up until that point!

ausreenactor

foster said:
I sent that same link to Rollin of At The Front a month or so ago.

I enjoyed studying the history of American uniforms and webbing and when I found that link I had to revisit some notions I had up until that point!

I bounced around the net way back in the days before all my reference books rolled in and I explored and encountered the linked sites here. I just never got too wrapped around axles about the actual garment colour when it arrived. My first M-41 was a Sturm? I just bought the kit and developed an understanding as I went. I would not buy an ATF Tanker again having owned a few, with one still here somewhere. The Buzz Tankers make me very happy, and fund other jackets when I move them on at a profit. I pick up second ATF stuff at cents on the dollar based on their collector value. It took me a while to come to grips with the fact I had repro ATF USMC trousers and a repro WWII Impressions USMC coat. OCD overload. The price was right, my apprehensions were wrong.

Being in the Army I am used to fact that sometimes the left hand does not talk to the right. Is it possible the Ordnance contract specs, the aforementioned swatch book and the eventual variations in colours all existed in an effective yet conflicting system?

I wish there were plenty of larger sized originals; however, I wish for too much. I have a Buzz Rickson M-41 in a 44R, safe and sound under three new ATF Ike Jackets (42s and a 44) in a trunk. It will fill the void until I find an original M-41 in a 42 or 44...

Peter Graham

oose said:
whats the arm length like on the buzz compared to original, I've always found on their nylon that there to long.
Hi Stu. As you can see from the photos, the arm length is pretty identical. My Buzz B-10 had hugely long arms. I had two inches taken off them. The only Buzz nylon I've owned is their Lion MA-1 and as far as I remember, the arm length was fine. Foster, that's a great link you posted. Sometimes amazing documents surface on this forum and that's one of them. Many thanks.

oose

Thanks Peter, I suspect I'll get myself an original one of these days, I'll just keep on wearing my M-43 for now. The best one I ever saw was a officers private purchase one I think it was from a tailor in New York.

All the best
Stu

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
Buzz buttonholes on top. Totally different.

The buttonhole stitching on both my BR M-41's is like your original, not like the current Buzz. So Buzz has done at least 3 different repro's...all copied from different originals?

Peter Graham

asiamiles said:
The buttonhole stitching on both my BR M-41's is like your original, not like the current Buzz. So Buzz has done at least 3 different repro's...all copied from different originals?

That's interesting. I'd love to see more originals, to make an informed judgement. Not that it matters. I'm loving this jacket, as I knew I would. I've worn it every day since I got it. The M-41 is such a stylish and practical jacket, and surprisingly warm.

ausreenactor

Peter Graham said:
I'm loving this jacket, as I knew I would. I've worn it every day since I got it. The M-41 is such a stylish and practical jacket, and surprisingly warm.

[Cough] 82nd Division patch....

asiamiles

Note the differences between my 2 BR M-41's...

buzzm41s_zpsf008458a.jpg