• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Jeep Cap

asiamiles

Picked up from Shinjuku Junky Special on my last day in Tokyo. Have quite wanted one of these for a long time and after finally being able to try one on and discovering the fit was good and it was really comfortable I couldn't resist.

par1rGq.jpg

asiamiles

Must be difficult to resist all that repro loveliness when your on your travels.
Actually I find it easier to resist buying from a shop than making online purchases. And I did leave it a few days, had a think, and went back and grabbed it.

EmergencyIan

What's a good repro for not a ton? I have an original but would never wear it.
Dave

I understand. I’ve found that almost all original WWII knitwear (knitted wool) has, now, exceeded its life span. Whether it’s a knit cap, a sweater or a scarf, they just will not hold up to uses any longer. You can buy one in mint condition and if it survives the dry cleaning or the soak without a small hole forming, if you dare use it for intended purpose, it will certainly develop a small hole or two or three.

Now, I have other wool WWII garments that are still fine, but they don’t consist of knitted wool yarn. I have a WWII Pea Coat out of Brooklyn that is still mint and an M-1937 shirt that is still mint. I wear both. I have two US Army 50/50 wool and cotton thermal undershirts that I still wash and dry with the rest of the laundry, during the winter; and they hold up like something that was made last year. They’re built like tanks.

I can’t help with good, accurate repros that don’t cost a small fortune, other than repro WWII US Red Cross scarves and those Red Cross knit your bit sweaters and gloves , but I can say that the Buzz knit caps are outstanding. I’ve had them for several years and have been very impressed.

- Ian

dmar836

Thanks. I find that 100% wool actually develops a bit of a funky smell especially in the presence of sweat and perhaps hair oil. I’m not a fan of acrylic yarns but there are always blends that can fool most of us.
Dave

EmergencyIan

You’re welcome and I agree. Though, I always try to go with 100% wool repros whenever it’s possible and it usually is. There is really no practical reason for that. To me, it’s just more authentic, not necessarily better.

By the way, have you tried WWII Impressions regarding a jeep cap? If they’re out of them, ATF might have a decent one. They usually go acrylic, but I have no idea in this particular case.

- Ian

EmergencyIan

I checked both ATF and WWII Impressions for thier “Jeep” caps. Both offer US made, 100% wool versions. ATF charges $34.99 with one size fits all. WWII Impressions offers them for $39 in sizes small, medium, large and x-large, like the originals. Both versions look great, but I haven’t experience with either.

- Ian

EmergencyIan

Most welcome, Dave. Seems like both WWII Impressions and ATF are really good choices. I know that Buzz is good, as well, but they may cost more than you’re willing to spend, especially when you have such nice domestically manufactured options at half the price.

- Ian