• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buttoned Pocket Flaps A-2 Jackets

2BM2K

In the photograph of Johnson there appears to be a "tab" where the zipper rivet might normally be. It is not very clear in the photo, difficult to be certain.

tab.jpg

MikeyB-17

I think that’s just a patch of light, as the shadow of his hand is falling on that part of the jacket. He appears to have a coin in his fingers, the shadow of which forms one side of a squarish patch on the leather tab adjacent to the knit.

zoomer

View attachment 9934 Nothing too new here, but decent views of Werbers (see any square corners???) and Securitys on the HQ staff of the 2d Wing, Langley Field, late 1934. Maj. Byron Q. Jones, center, commanding. (Note his cuffed pinks, not unheard of in the '30s.)
Others pictured, l-r: Capt. Richard E. Nugent, Capt. Harold A. McGinnis, Capt. Newton Longfellow, 1Lt. Russell A. Wilson.

2BM2K

Here is a photo of the 1st Pursuit Group, Selfridge Field 1932.
Credit for the photo goes to https://thejivebombers.com/2021/11/02/a-visit-to-selfridge-field-c-1932/

selfridgeC1932.jpg

In the centre are Ross Hoyt and Roland Blessey, both wearing A2 prototype jackets. There is another photo
of Blessey posted back in this thread from the same photo shoot.

Also in the photo there are two more A2 prototype jackets, middle row to the left of the photo.

Altogether 4 A2 prototype jackets in one photo!

B-Man2

Here's the USAF Biography of General Johnson:

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Biograp...06578/About-Us/major-general-harry-a-johnson/

Quite the esteemed career.
Totally off subject … but I have to ask .
Did you ever notice the differences in the medals and ribbons of WWII Generals compared to the Generals of today .
WWII generals had 3 or 4 rows of ribbons up their chest …. The ones of today have ten rows of ribbons that climb off their shoulder.
I guess the Generals get commendations for a lot more things today than they did back then. Ok thats it … just wanted to make an observation after I saw General Johnson’s photo.

Chandler

@B-Man2 -- I saw an online commentary on the subject of current vs. latter day officers and medals (with Ike as an example) and the bottom line was that those old-timers just didn't always wear all of their ribbons.

I guess Ike was buried with 3 ribbons on his uniform, but he had received many more.

I'll try to dig up the video -- @mulceber might have quicker access.

zoomer

The jackets in this iconic 1934 photo appear to be newly issued 33-1729 Werbers, with two exceptions, the chap fourth from the left in the back row is wearing a Security button pocket A-2 as is the guy on the far right back row.

View attachment 7089

Zombieing the thread to note that the new Werbers could easily have been from contract 34-518P, let Sept. 5, 1933 for an unknown quantity of A-2s. No examples of this contract, nor Werber Coat's original A-2 32-6225, are known to survive.

Last edited: