• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buttoned Pocket Flaps A-2 Jackets

Smithy

I've about given up on the guy myself. But thanks for looking into it!

Just looked up your post about that French chap in the photo with Mary Pickford. He'll almost certainly be a military attaché and as such you should be able to find out the names of those personnel as they were listed in most almanacs/gazettes of the day dealing with national data. Such appointments were high status, deemed socially important and as a consequence were publicly listed. Might take a small bit of digging but you should be able to find the name or names of those posted by the French government to the US in such capabilities (there probably won't be more than 1 to 3 people), after that you'll have to match faces from some other sources to names but that shouldn't be too difficult as military attachés were/are senior officers and often with some fame within their respective service. You're fellow is highly decorated judging by the campaign and award ribbons he's wearing as well which suggests he should have some legacy in the history books.

zoomer

If he does, it's not on the web. I've looked at so many teeny pix of WW1 French pilots I can't stand to see another. They didn't have cool jackets unfortunately.

Cocker

As avised on the other post, the guy's definitely not French. Most probably Belgian or Dutch,as per his uniform and the side he's wearing his beret.

Smithy

As avised on the other post, the guy's definitely not French. Most probably Belgian or Dutch,as per his uniform and the side he's wearing his beret.

Whatever his nationality, if he's a military attaché (which odds on he most probably is) he'll be listed in any of the various year books/gazettes for the year in question.

Smithy

No way! But if anyone wants a place to start, you could try the AIA, they used to have The Aircraft Yearbooks archived, and if they're still available those list the air attachés. For other military branch attachés, you'd could go through things like The Statesman Yearbooks.

Technonut2112

I was looking through my collection of pics, and this one from October, 1935 caught my eye. Kind of Looks to be button flaps, as well as transitional A-1 type collars on a few of the zippered jackets.:

2208035954_21c6ef7e58_o (2).jpg

2BM2K

Have searched for images of Mary Pickford and found a few where she is wearing the same outfit.

pickford.jpg

The occasion is the National Air Races, Los Angeles, July 1933.

At least this gives a date to Goldsmith photo but no sign of the mystery airman.

Ken at Aero Leather

Have searched for images of Mary Pickford and found a few where she is wearing the same outfit.

View attachment 7660

The occasion is the National Air Races, Los Angeles, July 1933.

At least this gives a date to Goldsmith photo but no sign of the mystery airman.

That's got to be Amelia Earhart

According to the MP Fan site, that was one of her favourite outfits

Smithy

That is Earhart. She was at the races with Ruth Nichols as they departed from LA for their female attempt at the west east transcontinental record.

Skyhawk

Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather

Single top stitch on pocket, pocket much closer to zipper, etc etc not the same jacket as Hap Arnold's
The pic is exactly 2 months on from the official issue date of the Type A-2
This jacket looks to have had more than two months wear to me, no hot water treatment back then :>)

Roughwear

It does not appear to be a SAT as there is an extra leather tab on the right hand side and the jacket does not appear to have epaulets, or if it does they are very far back. So perhaps another A-1 to A-2 transition jacket?

Roughwear

Pic is too early to be SAT.......Prototype? Private Purchase?

The SAT was produced after 1st July 1931, but we don't know when exactly during the fiscal year. This jacket is clearly not a SAT, and has been well worn indicting perhaps a 1930 date of manufacture, which would fit in with hen the A-2 was being developed.