• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BRUBAKER

Thomas Koehle

Currently in the works at the seamstress:
AVI G1 2nd production run to be converted to a "Toko Ri" Tribute jacket ...

When i first found this pic on the net ...
UAYrk6Z.jpg

i thought it is an original not recognizing the face of William Holden

Anyway - i was looking for some Inspiration for personalising my G1 and decided to go for a Corea-theme. Even tough it is fiction ...
I found a guy on eBay selling a whole set of Patches for a "Toko Ri" lookalike.

Quality wasn't bad when the set arrived so i gave the Patches some Treatment to get rid of that brandnew - shiny look - the nametag was left untouched

before:
9w88IkE.jpg

after:
ELtIOHe.jpg

Following the movie the layout should look somehow like this:
9uqOY7E.jpg

vQIMpRl.jpg

KFyPO2N.jpg

nqdiqBB.jpg

For the nametag i wasn't certain about the Position coz compared to period pics the movie-nametag seemed to be a bit on a low position on the movie jacket
5a0Gzan.png

VZza3p0.jpg

uddAUY6.jpg

ELNe5jn.jpg

YMcNQaa.jpg

FYdVYg0.jpg

Well, after all i decided to go for the patch-position like shown on the movie-pics. I tried to consider that i own a size 46 and my gestimation about Williams jacket is more to the size 40 direction. So i tried not to get too high towards the collar with the tag. Using the shoulder-patches also there would be a whole lot of stuff going on on that jacket so i decided to first apply the chestpieces only to see whether i wanna go that whole way down or stay with just 2 patches.
ntxx89J.jpg

Jacket should be finished - with the 2 chestpieces only - in about 3 days. After pickup i will decide how to continue.

ausreenactor

I used a tea bag in cold water to get a slight shade to the whites on some patches I put on a BR MA-1. Just dry them under weight. Get the effect right before you sew them on and use an off white cotton or it stands out like dog's balls.

Thomas Koehle

Just posted some pics on FB - took a while the seamstress was on Holiday ...

X7NsAqP.jpg

vrNr6tZ.jpg

OdVsyEb.jpg

Yf0jmnl.jpg

well in the beginning i was considering to just put those chest-pieces on and get some noseart from Ties on the back - but after checking the movie-piccies and when i found some pics of an actual jacket i decided to go the "full Options" way

pretty satisfied about how the jacket came out - now waiting for some colder weather to be able to wear it

that's the pics of the original i found on the WWW

LpaH1E0.jpg

SHJ6XaG.jpg

vwfBekU.jpg

vQC9tKo.jpg

HDpxkHK.jpg

957iv71.jpg

CAVALkl.jpg

ausreenactor

You should not call 'it' that?

I have only done a few leather patches and name tapes on chests and that was hard enough to get 10-11 stitches per inch straight. I don't have one of those fancy powered 'stitch bonders'. Mine is a purely hand cranked 1950s Singer made in Scotland.

Once again ... Great job..

Thomas Koehle

You should not call 'it' that?

I have only done a few leather patches and name tapes on chests and that was hard enough to get 10-11 stitches per inch straight. I don't have one of those fancy powered 'stitch bonders'. Mine is a purely hand cranked 1950s Singer made in Scotland.

Once again ... Great job..

was more or less serious - on fabric i usually try to sew by Hand with needle but on leather simply does not work ...

She unstitched the liner, applied the Patches and put everything back together without any trace - she is a real pro

and THX for the compliments

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
Thomas, the whole thing looks very nice, from the initial idea to the final result. But the implementation looks really impressive, what a nice work! Superb!
Could you comment with more details please - what kind of treatment have you done with your patches to make them look more natural, kind of "vintage looking"? Now they look much more natural and better than when new!
P.S. @ausreenactor, thanks for your tips of making "vintage treatment" on your patches too!

B-Man2

Thomas
It was worth waiting for to see the results. It looks really well done. What made you choose that particular jacket from that particular move if I can ask.