• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronson MA-1 review

Greg Gale

I know, one can buy an original MA-1 on Ebay at a decent price. I didn't want to, due to it being hard to be sure of the size, no returns, dirty, sweaty, knits needing replacement, etc...I wanted my own jacket. Some would disagree, but let's move forward to the review.

I had a "mall" Alpha "VF-59. Good fit, but quite a mall jacket. Even after replacing the knits. So I ordered a Bronson MA-1 from Taobao through Superbuy. It cost me as much as the knit replacement on the Alpha...I was blown away!

The jacket is sturdy, great quality, well constructed. Knits are nice, pockets are reinforced with a really thick and strong material. The color is lighter and more of a silvery grayish green than my Alpha. googling pictures of originals this seems to be correct. Knits are almost the same color as Larry's, a bit darker though. The only weak point I would say is the zipper which feels weak and needed a bit of soap. Oh well. First I was a bit disappointed because the internal zipper flap ended in a 90 degree angle, not rounded like on most others. A bit more googling revealed that this was correct for this early model!

Luckily I nailed the fit too, but I had my Alhpa to measure and compare with. I went for the size 40 (L). Shoulders and torso are roomy enough. Sleeve lengths are spot on. Sleeves are more baggy than my Alpha but according to original photos, this is the real fit. It is quite short though, but not shorter than what I expected from an MA-1. Nothing I can't wear.

Overall, my Alpha fits me better probably, with the eyes of a "civilian", that is, it's more tailored. This one, however looks like a real flying jacket. My girlfriend, who knows nothing about these said my Alpha looks like "a dime a dozen", the Bronson looks unique and special, and its color is nicer too :) Now I'm trying to sell my Alhpa in my flying club :) Based on this purchase I can't recommend Bronson enough.

IMG_1429.JPG
IMG_1443.JPG

The Bronson is on top of the Alpha:

IMG_1408.jpg
IMG_1407.jpg
IMG_1406.jpg

Greg Gale

Thanks! On a side note: it's not as turquoise as in the fit pics. It's hard to capture the color, but the one that shows the label is closer. I'll try to take a photo outside.

Flightengineer

Not bad. Although I prefer the original MA-1- this jacket is looks almost like the original . And It suits you OK.
In any case, it is much better than modern Alpha

falcon_ib

Great looking jacket! Looks just like the real thing in period photos and the fit is spot on. That's one hell of a zipper pull though!
Now all you need is some mid-late 50's patches....
Do the knit cuffs have seams?

Evan

Greg Gale

No seams - and I decided not to patch this one. Unless you can show me something really nice. Perhaps an Edwards AFB test pilot patch? :)

MeachamLake

Really nice looking. It looks like a carbon copy of the slender Buzz Rickson MA-1, right down to the narrower sleeves. Very sharp!

Why nobody sells these jackets in the West, I'll never know. They could make a killing.

Greg Gale

I found a 39th FIS patch at home, placed it on the chest for a photo (not sewn on!). I'm just not sure I should patch it at all. Could this jacket have served in Korea? When were the first MA-1s issued?

IMG_1450.jpg