Bronson MA-1 review

Discussion in 'Nylon' started by Greg Gale, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Greg Gale

Greg Gale Well-Known Member

I know, one can buy an original MA-1 on Ebay at a decent price. I didn't want to, due to it being hard to be sure of the size, no returns, dirty, sweaty, knits needing replacement, etc...I wanted my own jacket. Some would disagree, but let's move forward to the review.

I had a "mall" Alpha "VF-59. Good fit, but quite a mall jacket. Even after replacing the knits. So I ordered a Bronson MA-1 from Taobao through Superbuy. It cost me as much as the knit replacement on the Alpha...I was blown away!

The jacket is sturdy, great quality, well constructed. Knits are nice, pockets are reinforced with a really thick and strong material. The color is lighter and more of a silvery grayish green than my Alpha. googling pictures of originals this seems to be correct. Knits are almost the same color as Larry's, a bit darker though. The only weak point I would say is the zipper which feels weak and needed a bit of soap. Oh well. First I was a bit disappointed because the internal zipper flap ended in a 90 degree angle, not rounded like on most others. A bit more googling revealed that this was correct for this early model!

Luckily I nailed the fit too, but I had my Alhpa to measure and compare with. I went for the size 40 (L). Shoulders and torso are roomy enough. Sleeve lengths are spot on. Sleeves are more baggy than my Alpha but according to original photos, this is the real fit. It is quite short though, but not shorter than what I expected from an MA-1. Nothing I can't wear.

Overall, my Alpha fits me better probably, with the eyes of a "civilian", that is, it's more tailored. This one, however looks like a real flying jacket. My girlfriend, who knows nothing about these said my Alpha looks like "a dime a dozen", the Bronson looks unique and special, and its color is nicer too :) Now I'm trying to sell my Alhpa in my flying club :) Based on this purchase I can't recommend Bronson enough.

IMG_1429.JPG IMG_1443.JPG
    The Bronson is on top of the Alpha:

IMG_1408.jpg IMG_1407.jpg IMG_1406.jpg

2. Earloffunk

Earloffunk Active Member

Nice jacket - although I am a little bit more of a CWU 45/36 guy when it comes to nylon jackets.

Greg Gale likes this.
  3. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Greg:
    Great looking jacket.
    Spot on fit.
    Looks good with jeans , cargo pants , or any casual outfit.
    Nice choice!
    Super review by the way.

Flightengineer and Greg Gale like this.
  4. Greg Gale

Thanks! On a side note: it's not as turquoise as in the fit pics. It's hard to capture the color, but the one that shows the label is closer. I'll try to take a photo outside.

5. Brettafett

Brettafett Well-Known Member

Looks amazing Greg. And a perfect fit! Hell yeah!!!

6. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Can't fault that Greg, looking cool as ever!

7. Brettafett

Greg, we need to find an F-86 for you to sit in now. I'll take the pic again.

Flightengineer and Greg Gale like this.
  8. Greg Gale

Picture taken outside in the shadow, it does more justice:

102491FD-2BAB-46D9-856A-99AB427BB23E.jpeg

9. Brettafett

Gosh, really like it.

Greg Gale likes this.
  10. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Well-Known Member

Not bad. Although I prefer the original MA-1- this jacket is looks almost like the original . And It suits you OK.
    In any case, it is much better than modern Alpha

Greg Gale likes this.
  11. Flightengineer

Greg, how much does it weigh?

12. Greg Gale

13. Flightengineer

It bit lighter than the original (1.4 kg in size M)

14. Rutger

Rutger Well-Known Member

Well, lookin' very good indeed. The zip string could do with a knot.
    Maybe they took their inspiration from a Buzz, thankfully they didn't copy an Alpha.

Greg Gale and Flightengineer like this.
  15. Greg Gale

I measured myself with and without it on a bathroom scale, so I'm not sure how accurate it is :)

Flightengineer likes this.
  16. Flightengineer

Well, they are usually very inaccurate :)

falcon_ib and jack31916 like this.
  17. falcon_ib

falcon_ib Well-Known Member

Great looking jacket! Looks just like the real thing in period photos and the fit is spot on. That's one hell of a zipper pull though!
    Now all you need is some mid-late 50's patches....
    Do the knit cuffs have seams?

Evan

18. Greg Gale

No seams - and I decided not to patch this one. Unless you can show me something really nice. Perhaps an Edwards AFB test pilot patch? :)

19. MeachamLake

MeachamLake Active Member

Really nice looking. It looks like a carbon copy of the slender Buzz Rickson MA-1, right down to the narrower sleeves. Very sharp!

Why nobody sells these jackets in the West, I'll never know. They could make a killing.

20. Greg Gale

I found a 39th FIS patch at home, placed it on the chest for a photo (not sewn on!). I'm just not sure I should patch it at all. Could this jacket have served in Korea? When were the first MA-1s issued?

IMG_1450.jpg