• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronson L-2A Custom and Differences in Batches

Enigma1938

Hi
I just want to share my experiences with Bronsons L-2A's.
My first one is from 2018, some may know it from previous postings from me.
Here's a pic of it:
20210514_105807.jpg

A few months ago I ordered another one from Bronson because I need a daily beater for summer and don't want the older one to be worn out and damage the patches.
So the L-2A that I have received differs from the older batches in some details.
First noticeable is the color. It's a duller greyisher blue now, still good but the older ones were closer to originals here.
The texture of the lining changed also, as the old ones were pretty silky and shiny it now contains more of cotton in the material mix now and appears more accurate now.
The epaulettes cut is also more accurate now, while the old ones were too short, it is the correct length now.
The Zippers are Conmar repros now while the old ones were Talon repros. Talons are not correct for this jackets, it should be Conmar or Crown actually, so it's also a kind of improvement, even the quality of the Zips is not so high.
The knit cuffs are seamless now while the old one had still seams.
The new L-2A is truly a lightweight summer flight jacket while the old one had a thicker lining or a thin inner layer - idk.
So that's all about the differences.
Even the color of the old batches were more close to originals, the new ones are more accurate over all.

A couple of weeks ago I had to order a few spare parts from MASH japan for another project, so I thought I can do a few improvements to my new L-2A also by myself.
So I ordered the correct snaps in air force blue (the cheapish black ones annoyed me pretty much) and a correct main zipper slider from mash also.
I think it came out great. Looks so much better with the nickel DOT snaps and the blackened Conmar Zip.
Additional I have removed the nickel finish of the main zipper teeth and blackened them as it should be.
Finally I blackened the leather pull on the sleeve pocket zip.
Here are pics of the new one:
20230422_192453.jpg

20230422_192535.jpg
20230422_192653.jpg
20230422_192709.jpg
20230422_192806.jpg
20230422_192827.jpg
20230422_192831.jpg
20230422_192851.jpg

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

The zip and snap swap are a nice touch to bring the overall feel closer to the original. Did you have a hard time removing the Bronson snaps? How did you do it?

D

Enigma1938

Looks great .. both of them and I love the patched one .. I’ve wanted exact same but with olive green cuffs that buzz Rickson sell but it’s to expensive… I was dreaming of customising a bronson.. you always do great work
Thank you.
I have no clue what a seamstress asks for changing the knits but I believe it could still be way cheaper to buy a bronson, some od knits and pay a seamstress for changing them than buying a buzz - finding one in bigger sizes is a challenge too.

Shanghai-Mayne

Looks great .. both of them and I love the patched one .. I’ve wanted exact same but with olive green cuffs that buzz Rickson sell but it’s to expensive… I was dreaming of customising a bronson.. you always do great work
Pics are Blue out shell/Khaki knit combo offered by RTWB, any gentlemen here ever bought from that brand?

766BFE67-EBB6-462E-9A1F-472F76A6C430.jpeg
DF4A20A1-EB94-4CFB-86F3-322BE17FA04C.jpeg

Pilot

Here is mine, a Foster made by GW.
Best I have ever seen, even much better in make, color, fabric quality and pattern/cut than my ( Ex) BR or TRMcC’s.
All NOS metalware of course, the meatball is the correct one and in the right place :) and the jacket is in a rare 46” size.
IMHO the best jacket for long flights and it fits in every cabin luggage if you want to stow it away.
16C8F92C-B9D3-43DE-BB01-1D65B252BD3C.jpeg
051F7B09-64DC-4117-BCFC-07F3D046329B.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Here is mine, a Foster made by GW.
Best I have ever seen, even much better in make, color, fabric quality and pattern/cut than my ( Ex) BR or TRMcC’s.
All NOS metalware of course, the meatball is the correct one and in the right place :) and the jacket is in a rare 46” size.
IMHO the best jacket for long flights and it fits in every cabin luggage if you want to stow it away.
Brice
Very Nice! ….. It’s the first time I’ve seen a GW L-2b . Didn’t realize that JC had made them. Thanks for posting .

Griffon_301

got the zip on my BR L-2a (btw it has brown cuffs) repaired today and it's ready to be worn again now that it's getting warmer...expect some pics soon :)

Ritchy

A couple of weeks ago I had to order a few spare parts from MASH japan for another project, so I thought I can do a few improvements to my new L-2A also by myself.
So I ordered the correct snaps in air force blue (the cheapish black ones annoyed me pretty much) and a correct main zipper slider from mash also.
I only find complete zippers on the mash site but no slider alone, where did you find it ?