• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronson B-15A, 1st Look

Bremspropeller

I have been giving my B15 some fresh air for the past week. Slowly getting there...

I remember last year's B10 having a funny smeel too, but not quite to the same extent. Hopefully another week and it'll be fine.

Flightengineer

FIT PICS !!!

Brett, I just washed it, you know I don't like the look of a "new jacket" :p . I promise to take some fit photos when it dries, I won't be home until Monday, so I can only do it after this weekend.
I have big plans for patching and stenciling, so many options that I don’t even know which one to choose.

Gens, if someone needs a great B-15A jacket in size 40 (fits more like 39) with an excellent patch, there is a lot photos in this thread, I will consider your suggestions.
These jackets are sold out at Bronson and according to their support they are not planning a reissue anytime soon.
Probably soon it will be placed in the sales section, cause one B-15A is enough for me and new 42 fits me better.

MauldinFan

I used to wear an original in winter, and would love to have one of these, but wouldn't fit into what Bronson calls "XL"... my shoulders and sleeve length demand an American XL.

Greg Gale

INteresting - I thought I gained weight, because from their new B-10 I needed a 42 instead of a 40. Looks like it's the case with the B-15 too? Funny because I got their L-2a in size 38...

Flightengineer

INteresting - I thought I gained weight, because from their new B-10 I needed a 42 instead of a 40. Looks like it's the case with the B-15 too? Funny because I got their L-2a in size 38...

I don't think it's the weight problem, it's the size chart on these jackets, Greg. Now that I finaly have a B-10 from Bronson (also 42) I can say that if you are going to buy one of their B-15As you will definitely need 42.
The paradox is that both 40 and 42 fits me. And they look equally good on me. But...just a few extra cm here and there at 42 makes this a cool weather jacket - and yes, 42 about 2 cm longer at the back and about 1-1,5 cm at the front, and thats why much more comfy. Size 40 fits OK, but can be worn over a T-shirt or thin turtleneck only. If I had to wear this jacket in the cockpit I'd choose 42 without a doubt.

I must also say that Bronson's measurement chart is pretty accurate and easy to navigate, although actual jackets have slight +/- deviations in the shoulders.

A little later, when I have time, I can do a comparative review of two B-15A - the first and second gen. They are slightly different, but both are very well made. I'm very glad that I managed to buy size 42 before they sold out.

Last edited:

CBI

My Bronson B-15A. I used to own a few originals B-15's so I think I have a good idea in re a comparison. Bronson does an excellent job at their price point. TBH, the only notable possible issue is the collar not being mouton BUT one can't really worry about it as its not really noticeable looking when wearing it. The jacket is warm and the repro is heavier than what I expected. The caveat here is that I am not a fan of the "Mall Cop" flight jackets: B-10's, B-15's etc and realistically, I will probably wear this jacket 4 or 5 times a year so this budget version works fine for me. That said, Bronson does an excellent job. If one has too many OCD demons, the higher end repros offer some greant options but if OCD is killing you, buy a Bronson and with money saved, a therapy session or two might make sense!

Wow, looking at these pics, the B-15 was/is so much better ergonomically than an A-2 but as a jacket, the B-15 is just kinda ugly. I used to own a mint museum level original Werber B-15 and had the same response!

Great historical look but as my teenage daughter would say, "Um............NO!"

IMG_1072.jpg
IMG_1071.jpg

Last edited:

MauldinFan

Great shot in the most recent post by 'CBI,' I agree that very much looks the part. My first original jacket was a B15A. I'd love to have one of these but their size cutoff won't allow for my shoulders and arm length, darn it!

Flightengineer

TBH, the only notable possible issue is the collar not being mouton BUT one can't really worry about it as its not really noticeable looking when wearing it.

View attachment 74543View attachment 74544

It's real mouton collar. May be not top quality as on WW2 originals or G1s but it's real. If you chip off a few hairs and set them on fire with a lighter, you will smell a characteristic smell. Synthetics do not smell and do not burn, but melt.

CBI

I didn't recall any info saying it was real mouton but I forgot that there is a photo on the item page of someone holding what looks like real mouton next to the jacket collar. So, with the reminder that its real mouton, then its quite a good jacket and bargain..........

$179.00??? vs. a $650 BR (which is a B-15 not B-15A)

Is the BR 3x as good?

mulceber

Wow, looking at these pics, the B-15 was/is so much better ergonomically than an A-2 but as a jacket, the B-15 is just kinda ugly. I used to own a mint museum level original Werber B-15 and had the same response!

Great historical look but as my teenage daughter would say, "Um............NO!"

Huh, to each his own I guess. I really like the look of the early B-15s: the blousing, cross-zip, big fur collar, slash pockets. Everything about that design does it for me. Not in the same league as an A-2 for style, but I think it still looks badass.

$179.00??? vs. a $650 BR (which is a B-15 not B-15A)

Is the BR 3x as good?

I own both, and while the BR isn't 3x as good, I do feel like I got my money's worth. The zipper, liner, and mouton are all at least one step up in quality. The mouton in particular is probably the nicest I've ever seen on a jacket, bar none. No doubts though that the Bronson is a great jacket at an unbeatable price. Enjoy it! :)