• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronson 37J1 - opinions wanted

Geeboo

I have just bought a Bronson 2018 issue 37J1 which is without any patches nor stencil.
I want to add either a patch [without USN stencil- same as the original specimen] or a USN stencil+ an insignia leather patch as shown.
The 1st pic is capped from a latest addition from a Japanese site - asking US$7,400 !
https://snugsnug.exblog.jp/26531852/
I will hand made myself a patch same as the 1st pic - however, my hand job is pretty sloppy. A USN stencil + an insignia leather patch is neater & "dressier".

11.jpg

1) Is the insignia leather patch black or brown - BR & RMC & 2016's Bronson are all brown. However, it seems from old photos that thy are like black. Out of the only 4 original specimen [ photo], only 1 have insignia & that is black. Also, is the letters silver or gold in color ?
2) Which way to go ?

Tks

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 562
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 515
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Interesting to learn you just bought one of the jackets ...

I already own one of the earlier production run with USN and the leather patch but ordered another one without any markings

From the chinese description the current run seems to be pre-washed ...

Did you already receive the jacket?

Saludos

Thomas

Geeboo

no. their website said will start delivering from 2Apr18.
what do you say on my Q ?
PS I will change all buttons & add a riveted zipper as well.

Thomas Koehle

My plan is to slam a patch to the chest simply not yet decided which unit / squadron

One possible version would maybe be a USMC squadron or so with the “globe and anchor” on the back

Definitely will not keep her plain ...

Concern the insignia leather patch: most of which I saw before on USN jackets have been brown so i’d Go with h brown with gold charakters

Geeboo

15.jpg
I have searched very hard for the info of this patch without success - any idea of what it is - the yellow one ?
Incidentally, the other patch [only 2 specimen found] are both abstract type of patch.
Very few info for the search "30's USN patch" -any idea what patches will look period correct if a want a 30's style?

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 525

Thomas Koehle

Just browsed through Maguire’s flight jacket almanach and also found them name/rank leather patches in brown only

Just started to search for 30ies patches ...

Geeboo

Just browsed through Maguire’s flight jac................ brown only => any photos to share ??

Dr H

That seems such a practical pocket design - entry from the central edge would mean that in a cramped cockpit the pilot would avoid banging elbows on the cockpit sides.

Geeboo

The thing is, this jkt stopped production in 1939. So, if play for "real", patches need to be 30's. However, many worn them till WWII, thus early WWII USN patch is ok, which there are plentiful.

Geeboo

Tks Raulm. That is v. helpful.
Which patch do you think match best with the jacket in terms of color scheme & graphic -- to look cool & good ?
Please also comment on the correctness of my capped info regarding these patches & pls point out if there are any
a.jpg
particular wrong of any patches if stick to this jacket.
Tks

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 457
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 418
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 425
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 474
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 463

Geeboo

I have also ordered a Waldes Grommet zipper to replace the Chinese fake Talon triple signed zipper which is not period correct. Of ALL 4 original specimens photo I collected, ALL used these 30's Talon Grommet zipper - the original - OF CORRECT LENGTH - is almost impossible to find - Waldes provides an acceptable alternative, IMO.
Waldes.jpg

Geeboo

Indian head patch.jpg
Also, Do you think it is a bit far off if I add an Indian chief head patch at the back of the jacket [plus say, Black bold , blunt VS-2 stencil on top ? ] If the chest patch I choose the 1st Indian chief head VS-2 patch ?
FYI, The top is a used RL patch, the 2nd is a DIY felt patch [not finished yet]

Thomas Koehle

Just found some pics of black leather patches with name / rank ...

Will try to post ‘em later ...

I would not go with an Indianhead or so on the back - think back then those large markings have not been that popular

raulm1961

Which patch do you think match best with the jacket in terms of color scheme & graphic -- to look cool & good ?
Please also comment on the correctness of my capped info regarding these patches & pls point out if there are anyView attachment 3999 particular wrong of any patches if stick to this jacket.
Tks
Sorry Geebo I took so long to respond.
Please also comment on the correctness of my capped info regarding these patches & pls point out if there are anyView attachment 3999 particular wrong of any patches if stick to this jacket.
Tks
Sorry Geebo I took so long to respond. Besides the VF 6 patch I also like the VF 2 patch. Both patches would make your jacket look sharp. I also like the colors on both. It's your decision of course which patch you're gonna go with. I agree with Thomas. Do not add the Indian head.