• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronco A2 Identification

wiLLz

Hello :cool:
I found this jacket but the seller don't know the manufacturer
He is asking 350e which i feel is too much but i still have very little knowledge in the matter that is why i'm asking for advices
Any idea?
Thanks a lot

Attachments

• ecac79aa73b4eeb047b118f9e8f70b431ef152e9.jpg
    ecac79aa73b4eeb047b118f9e8f70b431ef152e9.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 239
  • 6fb0c5276a0a6490f5ed3f448a79e9ce8067d442.jpg
    6fb0c5276a0a6490f5ed3f448a79e9ce8067d442.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 9e89ce1283a07c10c7fe406a6d5e2e74b7412c38.jpg
    9e89ce1283a07c10c7fe406a6d5e2e74b7412c38.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

mulceber

Looks like a repro of one of the Bronco A-2 contracts. Depending on the repro maker, €350 could be a great deal, or a ripoff. If you can persuade him to take more pictures, ask him to look for a manufacturers label underneath both pocket flaps. If I had to guess, I’d say AVI, in which case €350 is way too much.

wiLLz

Looks like a repro of one of the Bronco A-2 contracts. Depending on the repro maker, €350 could be a great deal, or a ripoff. If you can persuade him to take more pictures, ask him to look for a manufacturers label underneath both pocket flaps. If I had to guess, I’d say AVI, in which case €350 is way too much.
Aight thanks i'm gonna ask him for more pics and then post them here

Enigma1938

I don't believe in a AVI, even it has a certain resemblance. Their Talon repro zippers look way different: the slider, the clamps on top...

B-Man2

I don't believe in a AVI, even it has a certain resemblance. Their Talon repro zippers look way different: the slider, the clamps on top...
Hi Enigma
I don’t know if this may change your opinion but look at the labels of the two jackets and also look at the position of the USAAF Stamp and the position of the “AN” inspectors stamp. They are in the same exact position on both jackets . It would be very unusual to find that exact placement, in two jackets that are not made by the same company. Just an opinion.
B5E0D9FF-EEDC-4E67-A336-353324016D36.jpeg
B76A2933-158C-4F8D-AF07-5C2F9C127A31.jpeg

Last edited:

Enigma1938

Hi Enigma
I don’t know if this may change your opinion but look at the labels of the two jackets and also look at the position of the USAAF Stamp and the position of the “AN” inspectors stamp. They are in the same exact position on both jackets . It would be very unusual to find that exact placement, in two jackets that are not made by the same company. Just an opinion.
View attachment 43925View attachment 43929

That's strange for sure, but as far as I know (and I've seen and owned several AVI jackets) AVI always uses a relatively cheap Talon zipper repro type. Look at this pics, that are their usual type:

Attachments

• AVI BRONCO RUSSET 6.JPG
    AVI BRONCO RUSSET 6.JPG
    919.1 KB · Views: 265

B-Man2

Enigma
I hope you don’t mind , I put your photo next to mine so we can get a closer look at both zip pullers.
3B862AC4-CE9E-424B-8590-00C1C1FFD958.jpeg
6BB90B1E-570D-4AF6-AC2F-8F2B705FB0D7.jpeg

They look pretty similar but there’s definitely a difference from our two jackets and the subject jacket . Maybe the owner replaced the original puller. Once again that’s just my opinion What are your thoughts?
F8897BB7-3983-4DE8-ACAF-09050FEA5AE0.jpeg

Last edited:

Enigma1938

I don't mind of course :eek:
The longer I think of this jacket the more I believe that one of the owners changed the zipper completely, not only the puller (look at the clamps atop of the teeth rows, the AVI ones are massive, the original ones or those on better replicas are C- shaped sheet metal) The zipper on AVI's was always a point I wasn't satisfied with at all and who knows - there may be others out there thinking the same way. You can get better replicas all over the net for a few bucks and for a few more paying a seamstress for changing it and voila...

B-Man2

Yep ... I’d definitely agree with you on all those points ..I think we’ve pretty much got this one nailed down for Willz
Thanks Enigma.

wiLLz

Didn't take you long to figure it out, impressive :cool:
Seller claim there is no pocket ticket but yeah not buying it since it retails at 379e new
Big thanks to all of you

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Some time ago, AVI Bronco was sold on bay, on which the seller replaced the zipper puller with the original. I remember exactly, because it was in the description - the seller thereby justified a higher price than AVI, and it was also 42 size. I'm sure that this is the same jacket, possibly resold several times.

Silver Surfer

that one may be the one I owned, from back then. if so, I replaced the puller, zipper stops, collar hardware rivets, and knits [the early ones had seamed cuffs]. I then recolored the hides to a more realistic original bronco color. my reason for the sale was that the jacket was a little too snug for me. if I remember correctly, it went to the uk, and I lost dough on the sale.

Pilot

My all time favored A-2 contract.
IMHO ..NO.. historically correct repro available on the market... some very close...some faraway.... but the typical colar design/pattern plus a few other little details... unmatched...

Last edited: