• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken snap (on day 3) — is this normal?

Smithy

As others have said send it right back.

Like Dave says it might be cheaper to get them to send you the stuff to do it yourself to save on taxes. Otherwise I'd tell ELC that they can reimburse your for any charges that you get stung with.

This isn't your fault and you shouldn't have to pay a cent more to fix it. You pay a LOT of money now for an ELC so you shouldn't have to pay anymore for stuff like this.

ausreenactor

Did you have a 'feel' for the back of the snap? By rights the back and a tab of leather should be mobile between the lining and the hide.......somewhere.

And do you have the outer half? It SHOULD have been stuck in the snap.

There is a whole thread on buttoned/unbuttoned. You could have just 'read' that to work out what looks better.

Feeling for you. I am always taking it easy, regardless of who made it... I have never undone a pocket on my original Bronco... If it ain't broke....

You paid your money. Shoot of an email for suggestions. It is the weekend so give it a bit of time. Like I said. You have a GREAT jacket with a buggered snap. ELC could pay for return shipping, expedite the replacement jacket to you and you are more impressed with the one that you shipped back.

I think complete hardware will be on the way in no time. Along with something 'extra'. That has been my experience over the years.... ELC have great customer support....

And unsnapped is the way. You have inadvertently moved to the correct 'look'.

Showerfan

True I have no choice now! I’m sure ELC will take care of me. I just wanted to know if it was a typical issue, and also if anyone had any tips to reinforce the back half of the snap (it did come out of the leather and is still with the front half — I just removed it for pics. The outer-back was placed outside of the lining completely — which I thought odd but maybe I’ve just never noticed that construction in any of the other A-2’s I’ve seen.

6A3DA9CC-B747-4651-B746-B166EBBBAA17.jpeg

ausreenactor

You are fine then... This should be easy to replace. I just dived at my Monarch, which has the snap 'inside'. It was late.

Went and grabbed my BR Rough Wear and the snap is the same as yours... Just one of the contract particulars.

As we say in Australia, "its a piece of piss". Easily solved. Any number of leather guys will have the setting tools. Just protect the fabric with another piece of cloth in the setting tool. Get a few snaps sent over...

Happy Hooligan

oh snap! Send it back. My Buzz L2 did that on a pocket but I was lucky enough to have the same snaps and a press to fix it.

robrinay

If you are confident to diy it then If you check out YouTube you’ll find lots of videos showing how to fix press studs/poppers/snaps in leather. Eastman may be prepared to send you replacements (unlikely in my opinion) but If they do then be sure to practice fixing at least one in a spare bit of leather or thick cloth before you tackle the jacket as it is possible to flatten the male part which will Make it hard or impossible to snap into the collars female. You can buy setting tools on eBay / a tiny anvil and a rod or two to rivet the fastener. You’ll need a stable hard flat surface to rest the work on while riveting. Don’t be tempted to buy poppers as they need to be exactly the right size type and colour.

kirova

had the same happened to an Aero A-2 I purchased last year (also on left hand side as well). And yeah, I also couldn't resist snapping up the collars :)

after exchanging some emails with them, they were not able to find anyone to fix it locally (in Australia), so my only option was to send it all the way back to Scotland......... couldn't justify the return postage cost, so I am living with it for now. (it was a trainee jacket which I picked it up at the 20% off day last year, the extra postage would've wiped out all the savings)

OTOH my other 15 years old Aero A-2 never missed a beat and is tough as a tank.

Anyone has any suggestions for what tools/hardware might be required for DIY? a stud press might do the job? I guess super glue would be the last resort.

robrinay

had the same happened to an Aero A-2 I purchased last year (also on left hand side as well). And yeah, I also couldn't resist snapping up the collars :)
As I mentioned above you can

after exchanging some emails with them, they were not able to find anyone to fix it locally (in Australia), so my only option was to send it all the way back to Scotland......... couldn't justify the return postage cost, so I am living with it for now. (it was a trainee jacket which I picked it up at the 20% off day last year, the extra postage would've wiped out all the savings)

OTOH my other 15 years old Aero A-2 never missed a beat and is tough as a tank.

Anyone has any suggestions for what tools/hardware might be required for DIY? a stud press might do the job? I guess super glue would be the last resort.
As I mentioned above you can buy the fasteners on eBay but check colour and size before committing to buy and once bought make sure they are compatible in size and colour and then practice setting them In scrap leather or thick cloth before tackling your jacket. See YouTube for lessons - here’s a Good one
they’re actually dead easy to fit with the fixing kit that comes with them and a small hammer to hit the correct end of the rod. Here you go. A bargain box on greed bay UK

Last edited:

blackrat2

Could you not ask Eastman for a spare and ask what size “tool” you need to fix, as others have said they are pretty good with customer care so imagine they would be happy to supply right colour/ type