• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken snap (on day 3) — is this normal?

Showerfan

Just checking with you guys real quick — is it normal that a hide is so delicate and thin that a snap would come right out? I mean, this is only the third day I’ve owned this new ELC RW, and the Warhorse is indeed beautiful, but the collar snap popped out on maybe it’s fourth unsnapping.

The moment I realized what had happened, I experienced the kind of staggering heartbreak that will probably require years of therapy to repair.

It terms of the jacket, does anyone know any special tricks to really reinforce such an area? Thanks, Matt

9E07E44F-2A4A-4F2B-9485-74C1BD69F9E7.jpeg
5A24ADBD-8594-4EE8-A918-5D4BF9E636FE.jpeg
6D859563-9263-4A03-98CE-B1C64FC2344B.jpeg

Showerfan

The hide doesn’t appear to be ripped, that I can see. Nonetheless, the back half of the post was still attaches to the front half when I realized it. That means, somehow this big snap came out of that small hole.

8394CF7A-DDF0-4BF9-BAF0-9632DC4C1D49.jpeg

And this inner, inner piece (photo taken from the still intact other side) is missing.

F44A28D0-70F1-44C2-9283-BF0FC2690787.jpeg

mulceber

Interesting. So it looks like it was the thinness of the hide making the leather able to stretch enough to let the hardware through. Not something I’ve ever seen on a jacket, Eastman or otherwise.

stanier

I think you're in the UK? Never seen that before, but be assured ELC will fix on that jacket for and you'll probably have it back 48 hours after you sent it in my experience. Never known bad service from ELC personally and they stand by their product. Whatever you do though please don't not fiddle with it yourself whatever well meaning advice is forthcoming here. You really don't want to invalidate that ELC warranty.

Showerfan

I will call Eastman on Monday. They have been so amazingly helpful and, as others have mentioned, the hide is absolutely gorgeous. I’m sure they’ll make it right. I just don’t want to ever have to take this jacket off, even to go to bed, so I obviously don’t want to mail it back to Scotland.

I was very careful each time I unsnapped the collar for precisely this reason, so I hope they can find a way to really reinforce it, like to perhaps mil-spec strength ;) I want it to be as strong as, for example, Dave Sheeley’s buttonholes look...

Showerfan

The jacket actually feels quite strong in most places, just not by the collar snaps. And yes, I meant Devon. I’m in Berlin, sadly. Although, as I watch the UK go through this ridiculous covid-crisis, I am increasingly happy to be in Germany, with the staid and conservative, bureaucratic Teutons.

B-Man2

That doesn’t happen normally to a new ELC jacket . Consider this .... often times if you go to an outside repair service to have something fixed and it breaks again ..you may have voided your warranty with the original company ... I’m not sure if this is the case with ELC ... but to be on the safe side you may want to check first before you decide what to do.

Clark J

Easy fix just crappy luck . Just think how many thousand Eastman and Aero and all the smaller makers Have done ,,, you’re the first on this site that I can remember it happened to . Great to the first at something !!