• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brexit - Effect on repro flight jacket enthusiast

ausreenactor

The GBP leapt 2% straight away making UK products more expensive, yet there is talk of trade deal and free trade agreements? Very interesting. The guy that lost the election has been in Parliament since the early 80s. He should have known when to fall on his sword and do the right thing by his country.

Smithy

I think Brice has it right for the most part in that not terribly much will change, at least initially. In the immediate timeframe it's got more to do with currency exchange rate and yes although that is influenced by trade deals, market confidence and import/export chicanery, I don't think we'll see any huge swings one way or the other.

ELC will probably just think it's another good excuse for a price hike :D

ausreenactor

If the imported raw materials are more difficult to source across the World or more inadvertently become more expensive it has to happen 'irregardless'.

Brettafett

I was with you til you said “reasonable price”. “Reasonable” to whom ? You and your budget i guess or a Rothschild ? Which is probably higher than mine but below market rate ?
Who sells below the most they can get ?
It’s tough but you also wouldn’t wear an original as often or as hard as a repro so it has to be in addition instead of only.
I feel your pain buddy
Haha there was a bit of sarcasm in there for sure... There is no such things as reasonable as regards originals. Thats why I'm not that excited about originals anymore. Someone else can buy and collect them, and I will admire from here.

33-1729

I’ve heard off-the-cuff political comments that go in all directions, but the devil is in the details and the only written items I’ve seen, from anyone, are postage-stamp sized slogans. I have no idea how the actual governance will unfold, but the postage-stamp sized slogans have been a continuing trend.

Obscurator

Anything could happen, but, history suggests that for those of us who are UK residents, nothing will become cheaper or less expensive. UK governments, of any stripe, are masters at making money out of us in a thousand devious, fiendish ways. There could be scope for reducing VAT, but I don't see our government wanting to forego that earner, and VAT (which we didn't have here until we joined the European Economic Community aka Common Market in 1973) will no doubt figure in trade negotiations with the EU.

Ken at Aero Leather

As I see it, in it's most simple terms all will depend on the German Car industries response
Three options
1. Take a big hit in the sales of Audi, BMW, VW etc into THe UK
2. Start manufacturing for The UK Market in The UK...........like The Mini is already
3. Batter the door down on EU HQ and demand a free trade agreement double quick

My money is on No3

Pilot

Those old Rangies were simply brilliant. Streets ahead of the Toorak Tractors that they put that badge on today.
Agree!... Plus now all the computer chips..made in ?...surely no more the same nowadays ... and now owned and managed by the Tata “Dynasty“.

sammy

Brexit ? Are we leaving the EU ? Blimey, they kept that quiet !

My ELMC Californian arrived this morning that I bought from a chap in Amsterdam, lucky I got it now and not after we leave otherwise I'd have probably been charged import tax etc.
Great jacket... a happy bunny :)

Greg Gale

This is going to be interesting to watch unfold. I wonder how the GBP will fare against the USD and EUR this time next year. Maybe it will get cheaper for non-UK citizens to buy ELC products if the pound takes a plunge. Or the other way around. And we may pay for an Aero in EUR one day, if Scotland decides not to follow England...

crism1

I don't think Scotland is going to bail out. There's oil there and tories will suppress any indipendence sentiment.

Royalcrown32

With a sales tax of 21% on top of the price and postage costs here in Holland no more new (or secondhand) jackets from the UK for me I'm afraid...