• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brexit - Effect on repro flight jacket enthusiast

Brettafett

Im not a fan of politics, nor do I want to get into a general discussion about it.
What I am interested in, are peoples opinions on the effect the recent UK election and forthcoming Brexit deals are going to have on our hobby.
UK makers, like Eastman and Aero exporting jackets out of the UK...?
UK-based hobbyists importing jackets from EU, like Bill Kelso and Platon... and from US makers...?
Thoughts?

jeremiah

I think whatever does happen will take some time to really see all the side effects.
Meanwhile, I’d expect business to be good for fear of future issues.

not unlike the issue of hand gun ammo disappearing from shelves as soon as it was stocked during the initial Obama years.

Officer Dibley

I daresay EU & Brit makers will both swallow some of any additional costs to avoid any big price hikes. Business always finds a way.
Basically we will be as if buying from the US where we ask a friend or the seller to undervalue the goods.
How many more jackets do you expect to buy ? If you are happy with what you have, it’s a moot point ......

ties70

I daresay EU & Brit makers will both swallow some of any additional costs to avoid any big price hikes. Business always finds a way.
Basically we will be as if buying from the US where we ask a friend or the seller to undervalue the goods.
How many more jackets do you expect to buy ? If you are happy with what you have, it’s a moot point ......

I do not expect ELC to swallow anything, but we will See...

Pilot

IMHO... nothing at all will change for the goods tradings and commercial conditioning EU/UK...
Nobody has any interest to change anything in this.
Changes maybe in:
Immigration, Legal, Property, and others... surely not in selling Food... Pharma ...BMW, Mini’s , Audi, Cayenne’s , Jags, Renault, Airbus, RR, Bentley, Moet, Chateau Neuf Du Pape..Cartier, etc ( ELC, Aero...) from here to there...

B-Man2

I can’t see how taxes and import fees could get much worse for you guys in the UK but having said that, I’m sure that the politicians will try to make you bend over and grab your ankles one more time. That’s what we’ve come to expect here in the US.
Good Luck with it all .

Pilot

Taxes are only for French...not any others.
France has the biggest hugest Tax gulping system in the world. France will receive the Nobel Price for Tax invention..
See the news... now in France all protesters are supporting the Taxes and “I am happy to contribute so all have the same retirement and all others same advantages”...”We are all same... but some are “samer...”

Officer Dibley

I do not expect ELC to swallow anything, but we will See...

Nor do i but i thought we were talking Brit residents Ties so we won’t pay additional taxes IF we buy British. Nor will out-of-the-EU buyers. ELC probably don’t care about the EU market as it is relatively small & they are focused on the Far East.

For Europeans, come here on holiday ( with a visa like i have to to go to the US ;) ) and buy here and wear it home. I do it with American bought stuff.
I don’t care myself, i have all the jackets i want/“need”

Officer Dibley

Pilot, find me a 42 that is at least 26" long, in clean wearable condition, without stitch holes and insects... At a reasonable price and I'll get excited.

I was with you til you said “reasonable price”. “Reasonable” to whom ? You and your budget i guess or a Rothschild ? Which is probably higher than mine but below market rate ?
Who sells below the most they can get ?
It’s tough but you also wouldn’t wear an original as often or as hard as a repro so it has to be in addition instead of only.
I feel your pain buddy

Pilot

I was with you til you said “reasonable price”. “Reasonable” to whom ? You and your budget i guess or a Rothschild ? Which is probably higher than mine but below market rate ?
Who sells below the most they can get ?
It’s tough but you also wouldn’t wear an original as often or as hard as a repro so it has to be in addition instead of only.
I feel your pain buddy
A reasonable price for a wearable un-holed unmessed jacket goes up to 3-5 K.( €:)) on the payers buyers markets ( maybe not here)..
Smaller than 40”” are below that..but mostly for Japan/China...so still same same :)
Crapola-bay has a lot of alternatives...but not wearable and not un-holed..:(
A lot may tell you otherwise and “better”..but cannot deliver nor support... the unmessed, un- holed and wearable......and I am not trying to sell ...but happy to buy...all original, un-messed un-holed and wearable,..

Last edited:

Serghei87

After Brexit, me going to the next Pop Up shop and getting another jacket lets say.. will i have the tax free reimbursement after i come back to Luxembourg? Thats the question for me :)

Pilot

A reasonable price for a wearable un-holed unmessed jacket goes up to 3-5 K.( €:)) on the potential buyer markets... surely not here...
Smaller than 40”” are below that..but mostly for Japan/China...so still same same :)
Crapola-bay has a lot of alternatives...but not wearable and not un-holed..:(
A lot may tell you otherwise and “better”..but cannot deliver nor support... the unmessed, un- holed and wearable......and I am not trying to sell ...but happy to buy...all original, un-messed un-holed and wearable,..
Tax reimbursement...Sure you will!
Plan B already in the drawers...:D

Griffon_301

first of all, I love to go over to the UK, been there nearly every yeary for the last ten years to visit an airshow, mostly Duxford; thats where the real collection of my jackets started anyhow 4 years ago...
will I stop now from going over? NO! simple reason, I do not expect much to change for the average jane and joe like my significant other and me. granted, we might need visa (I do not think so-nobody is interested in hours long waiting times at the airport immigrations for flights originating in the EU with flight times less or not much more than two hours), and some things might get more expensive, but I think thats about it;

jackets? well, I do have a solid collection that I can reasonable justify now, the only piece thats missing is a nice ANJ-4 or M-445 maybe, and of course, if anything nice springs into the eye, I might be tempted; but new? no! ELC jackets are starting to get too expensive already and RMC are out of the question at all;
I can order BR jackets somewhere else and so my needs are covered.

as I am also an avid collector of military/aviation history books, it will be interesting to see if there is a price increase in British published books too. I think there will be, but nothing thats not tenable; I have decided to stop buying the Osprey series paperbacks as the same books in pdf ebook format are much more usable for what they are, and if any other hardback or softback gets one or two pounds more expensive, who cares...

other than that, I do not buy much stuff that originates in Britain, so I see this whole Brexit thingie in a rather relaxed mood...(good Whisky and Scotch costs some dinero and Cadbury´s chocolate is specially imported here so it costs more than Swiss Lindt chocolate anyhow...)
given the indecisiveness and incompetence of the EU in large parts of what they are doing, it will be interesting to see how the UK fares without the bounds of an EU foreign/immigration/trade policy; it might actually be a good thing if there is more points of view about certain things in Europe than just the one from the EU, dominated by certain countries that did not contribute much to the welfare in Europe over the last centuries, with the exception of the last 70 years or so...

well, we will see how everything will develop, but I am sure ELC will increase the prices of their jackets anyhow, they do not need Brexit as an excuse for it...