• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brand new personalized 'AN' stamp

MauldinFan

For many years, I'd wanted to make an 'AN' stamp of my own.
They usually had a three digit number underneath, and I wanted mine to read 337 as it's my first name upside down. I got a guy in the UK to make one and I just stamped all my A2 jackets with it, along with a correct AAF insignia in each case except for the one I painted up as my own Army one with a jeep on the back.
20221230_144345-01.jpeg

Looks good especially on my 91st BG configured A2.
20221230_144502-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Smithy

Just for interest sake and a little known fact, quite a number of original A-2s weren't actually marked with the inspector's stamp (nor carried a maker's label), namely those that the Norwegian government in exile purchased for use by their airmen in training in Canada at Little Norway. They were used extensively by men going into the two Norwegian Spitfire fighter squadrons under RAF administration, 331 and 332.

So if your A-2 is lacking stamps, remove the maker label and call it a Norwegian issued A-2. If you really want to go to town paint the unofficial 332 Sqn badge on the left shoulder...

Aanjesen.jpg

Silver Surfer

Well done, my man. I still have the an, and meatball stamps that were once made by a guy who sold them on greedbay. There were slightly different sizes used by the procurement inspectors. Most of the original a-2s did not get the an stamp, as the inspectors would arbitrarily pick some from a pile to stamp, and thus ok the whole pile for aaf usage. As we have often seen, when an original has the an stamp, the liner was stamped near the nomenclature label (top back of the liner). However, for reasons unknown, rough wears that were stamped, had them on the front bottom left or right, often near the zipper. I believe that the meatball stamp started to be used when aaf had the manufacturers add “property of…..” to the nomenclature labels. They were also applied to the liners of jackets sent to the various depots to be refurbished.

Chandler

No one in the US making rubber stamps anymore? Used to be my side gig at my dad's printshop back in the '70s.

MauldinFan

No one in the US making rubber stamps anymore? Used to be my side gig at my dad's printshop back in the '70s.
Maybe there are, but this guy made up what I wanted from a single email. I didn't even have to work up the artwork, which I would have had to do with anyone else.
I suggested he add a AN stamp to his product line with a different inspector number and I got the impression he was going to do so.

johnwayne

Nothing ceases to amaze me much these days but the fact a company exists turning those out does! Wonder what might happen if you sent an envelope thru post with one of the Nazi stamps on it? Not that I’m considering doing I should add!!
Great idea for the AN stamp though.

MauldinFan

Hmmm. They used my "337" stamp on their website.