• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brad Pitt's jacket

johnwayne

In the early scene in Ingloriuos B******s where BP is addressing his men - what jacket is he wearing? Looks like a cross between an Ike jacket and English army blouson style - collar is like an M41 but seems to have rear pleats like a G1 with the colour being somewhat deep ginger/russet. Just a 'knocked up' military-ish style for the sake of the movie?

Cheers
Wayne

Tim P

It is an ETO jacket, a forerunner of the Ike made under reverse lend lease by the British for the US. It is unlikely in the EXTREME that a member of the first special service force (whose insignia appears at his shoulder) would ever have had one but then the unlikely end to the film negates that.

The jacket is drill lined and features a flap baffle system at the front for warmth but is to all intents a take on the M38 jacket but reversed. a second pattern featured battledress style patch pockets on the upper chest. The USAAF in the UK enjoyed a liberal issue and the small cadre of men of the 29th Rangers certainly got them, it is less common amongst other units but still to be seen.
a 'chocolate' version for officers in customary fine gabardene was also british made and features an issue spec label although these were not made in any numbers. A General in 20th Corps can be seen wearing one.
What Price Glory did a version of the Enlisted pattern a couple of years back and a friend of mine put his against my unissued example and only the odour of the wool and the slightly newer 'feel' to it could tellm them apart.
Poor Jerry couldnt offload them, I think they are great and I choose to wear mine at USAAF enlisted themed events over any other type (it features a british made felt 8th air force patch and USAAF emblem rank)
hope this helps

johnwayne

Thanks everso Tim - I knew someone here would know!!
I do like it - I'll shop around and keep a look out on ebay now I know what to look for

Cheers
Wayne

Tim P

I think I paid about £300 for mine about eight years ago. they are rare but an unissued 44R could not be passed up.

johnwayne

Wow Tim - I'm impressed you know my size!!
Well, I could be 42 dependent on the cut - my repro A2's are 42 whereas my original is 44 and an M41 (ATF repro) is 44 but maybe a size smaller would fit better. As mentioned I do like it but £300 is perhaps a bit steep - I guess that's the real thing?
I need another jacket like I need a hole in the head (I still want an A1 too) but thanks for your help

Cheers
Wayne

ausreenactor

Tim P said:
I think I paid about £300 for mine about eight years ago. they are rare but an unissued 44R could not be passed up.

Tim...I hope you are talking about an Original. I have a WPG 44 in a 101st Airborne SSGT guise. Good jacket, as you state!!

Couchy