• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BR 37J1 available via Eastman

Griffon_301

Hey guys!

just wanted to let you know that the Fall 2018 edition of the BR 37J1 is available for order via the European BR internet site... and the good thing is, their sizes go up to 44 or XXL;
just ordered mine as I consider them a real good deal for roughly 435 GBP; if there are any 37J1 lovers out here, might be worth a look....

now I just need a good patch to soup the jacket up - VT-2 or VT-5 look like good contenders...

MeachamLake

Has it disappeared already?

The only new jacket I see is the B-9. But at £899?! Crikey moses.

CockWings USA B-11 is a better bet at around £399...

ausreenactor

They are a ripper. Have had four move through the War Room. Snug though.. Even the 44 might sadden some legit 44 wearers.

Griffon_301

Well, I will give it a try... My BR N-1 in XXL fits nicely with room to spare and I intend to wear the 37J1 as a warm weather jacket with a tee beneath and not much more...

zoomer

Had that been me, I would say, “Rickson-san, we appreciate your business deeply, but lord luv a duck, man, make the damn 37J1 a couple sizes bigger or we will be forced to do so ourselves, thereby cutting you out of a lucrative market segment you seem unwilling to meet.”

EmergencyIan

I see that History Preservation Associates is now carrying it. Even if you aren’t in the U.S., this is good, because they offer specific measurements for each size of this jacket. Therefore, you can much better determine which size is right for you or if there isn’t a size of the jacket that will fit you properly. Great info to have at your finger tips.

I was told that they measure five of each size of a garment to get an average measurement and that’s what’s listed.

- Ian

ausreenactor

Well, I will give it a try... My BR N-1 in XXL fits nicely with room to spare and I intend to wear the 37J1 as a warm weather jacket with a tee beneath and not much more...

If you slide into an XXL you should be spot on. I just offloaded an XXXL and I thought it would be roomier. Had a RM 37J1 in a 46 and that was great.

Griffon_301

Ah that sounds good then...I checked the HPA measuring guide and that sounded good and I do not need the jacket to be roomy, I want a rather trim fit as I intend to wear it when it is warmer and so will not have more than a tee underneath... I was even watching "Dive Bomber" yesterday to get an idea how the jackets should look when worn... :)

Last edited:

Griffon_301

I do have a RW B-15 in 44 and besides being rather short (thats the design from what I know), that jacket fits perfectly, even with some thicker sweaters underneath (not that you need those often with the Alpaca lining :) ); and as said, the N-1 in XXL is a perfect fit with room to spare for sweaters or pullovers too, so I figure if worn only with thin shirts underneath, the fit of the 37J1 in 44 should be good on me..

oh and i consider the price of BR Europe quite good with the current exchange rate EUR vs GBP; when I think what I dished out for the B-6 this year, and the Irvin, B-15 and N-1 last year, that 37J1 is a real good deal :D

B-Man2

For comparison purposes with the BR 37J1 , I thought I’d post some photos of the only Good Wear 37J1 ever made by John Chapman. I really like this jacket but you guys feel free to compare the two and decide the good and bad points of each one.
8FADD79F-2D1A-498D-8A58-4A3460E4663E.jpeg
AA448854-17AD-4DD9-990D-9E3102886EB1.jpeg
C32FB02B-C02C-410B-93C8-AB52FB12D784.jpeg
C03EFDE7-2DD2-4F2C-A04F-92FC305879DC.jpeg
AB3A1C29-D930-480B-9F08-FFEDFCE39F20.jpeg
84B1AA8B-866A-4D61-B645-31FFD5DC1037.jpeg
8E1DC9E4-7FE8-4C94-9F9D-BFA959E337FC.jpeg
FF592E9C-B518-4147-AD3E-3D90A667853A.jpeg

EmergencyIan

For comparison purposes with the BR 37J1 , I thought I’d post some photos of the only Good Wear 37J1 ever made by John Chapman. I really like this jacket but you guys feel free to compare the two and decide the good and bad points of each one.View attachment 11536 View attachment 11530 View attachment 11531 View attachment 11532 View attachment 11533 View attachment 11534 View attachment 11535 View attachment 11537

It’s terrific! While it’s tough to ever beat anything Good Wear, I think the wait time kills it as an option. If you have your heart set on wearing one any time in the near future, you’re out of luck. If this were not the case, I’d be in line for several of John’s jackets. I’ve owned one Good Wear and it was unmatched.

- Ian

zoomer

I don't think John will offer the 37J as he couldn't get fabric with the right wale count. 24 is original and he had to use 16 - half again as coarse.

EmergencyIan

I don't think John will offer the 37J as he couldn't get fabric with the right wale count. 24 is original and he had to use 16 - half again as coarse.

Good point, zoomer! Anyhow, I suppose it turns out not to be relevant unless you really wanted his version and were willing to wait a few years for it.

- Ian