• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BR 37J1 adorned with VB-2 patch done by Miro

Griffon_301

Gentlemen!

While waiting for my L-2a to arrive from somewhere in the next to last galaxy in our universe as it seems I took delivery of this beast today...
Since I had seen a picture of Boone Guyton in front of a SB2U wearing a 37J1 adorned with a then unknown patch to me, I wanted the jacket.
That was taken care of when BR released their repro of this great jacket last year and I was lucky enough to get one in a comfy 44 size.
The patch proved tougher to get...luckily I had bought a good book about USN prewar carrier aviation and lo and behold, it also contained a picture and a reproduction of what i finally was able to identify as VB-2 squadron patch.
As I had come across Miro on IG and liked his works from what I saw, I contacted him and asked if it would be possible for him to do that patch. He agreed and about two weeks later I received it and was amazed about the quality.
My tailor did the rest and today I got back from he the result...stunning I have to say!

A big thanks to Miro and of course my tailor.
If you need a painted leather patch, I can only recommend Miro wholeheartedly! A great guy to deal with and the quality speaks for itself!

Cheers

Attachments

• 20190821_131443.jpg
    20190821_131443.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 289
  • 20190821_131422.jpg
    20190821_131422.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 266

B-Man2

Nicely done!!
What are your thoughts on the Buzz 37j1?
Is the Bedford cord similar to the original cloth used or is it a lighter weave?
Any chance of a few close ups of the jacket front and back?
Thanks for posting.

Griffon_301

As I have said already, I am really loving the 37J1; its a great looking jacket but easy to wear, just like a M-422a or a G-1; of course its not designed for really cold weather, but I think with a good pullover underneath and on a sunny day, it should even be wearable during the warmer parts of autumn or even winter; I have worn it twice in light rain too and its great for such weather too, although I would not want to get soaking weg in it, given that its lining is rather thin with nothing in between to the outer shell;
speaking of the shell, I cannot say much about how the BR weave compares to the original one;
from what I have seen (and felt), the weave on the 37J1 looks and feels comparable to the BR Hook Deck Jacket which I also own;

the 37J1 is my third jacket from BR (I also own a N-1 and a Hook Deck Jacket from them) and I really like their quality and looks and the 37J1 will surely not be my last jacket or clothing from them;
if you have the chance to grab a 37J1, do so, you wont be disappointed;

ok, concerning measurements: I am 183cm tall and weigh about 95 kgs (some kgs must fall though over the coming weeks) and I usually wear a 44 or 46, depending on the jacket; for example my M-422a and G-1 from ELC are both size 46; the 37J1 is a size 44 and I washed it twice at 30° before having the patch sewn onto it; IMHO, its a near perfect fit now;

oh, and please let me know if you want some specific pictures taken or which pictures you would prefer.. I will gladly post them here tomorrow then...

cheers for now
phil

zoomer

The key, I think, is the tailoring. It is elegantly detailed and proportioned for a cloth jacket, and every detail gives it character. It really reflects the depression years, when skilled labor was cheap compared to materials.