• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

ZuZu

It is exactly the Goodyear welt that allows you to resole and resole and resole - and then re-welt and resole and resole and resole your boots. So not exactly a couple of years - rather a couple of decades.

Yes I know all that- in fact back when there were corner shoe repair places I'd do it. But a couple of decades? Not if you're actually wearing them doing construction. The leather on the toe goes away. They crack and wear out- like shoes do.
It is exactly the Goodyear welt that allows you to resole and resole and resole - and then re-welt and resole and resole and resole your boots. So not exactly a couple of years - rather a couple of decades.

Sure if you only wear them walking around and you mollycoddle them with salves and potions! I used to wear boots out- toe cap gone- rotten leather- stained and ugly. I think it's the IDEA that you can resole that makes it a thing. The quality boots are a thing like jackets- I'm an Avirex lambskin type guy when it comes to boots:D

Harris_HTM

Not if you're actually wearing them doing construction
True, I should have mentioned that I was referring to normal use, and not construction. However, at least here, at construction you need specific kind of workboots, according to the standard EN ISO 20345. Which means neither Aldens, nor Blundstones.

and you mollycoddle them with salves and potions
Being an engineer involved in big infrastructural projects and owning "real" safety boots, I can assure you that waxing them regularly prevents the leather from cracking and helps it with waterproofing.

I think it's the IDEA that you can resole that makes it a thing
No, at least for me. I have resoled boots and dress shoes many times, if they were cemented when the sole was worn out I'd have to throw them away.

Chandler

No, at least for me. I have resoled boots and dress shoes many times, if they were cemented when the sole was worn out I'd have to throw them away.
Same here. I'm on my third set of Vibram soles on my Danner Explorers (though stitchdown, not Good Year welt) and the rest of the boots are still going strong -- with a couple "mollycoddling*" treatments a year.

*It's called caring for an investment. ;)

Chandler

ATF used to make or sell decent rough out boots
I have a pair from the last import run before they started using the US manufacturer -- they're just okay.

Maybe that US factory (who bailed on contract orders) was making good boots, but they were definitely pricier than ATF's older stuff.

Get what'cha pay for, no?

JonnyCrow

I have a pair from the last import run before they started using the US manufacturer -- they're just okay.

Maybe that US factory (who bailed on contract orders) was making good boots, but they were definitely pricier than ATF's older stuff.

Yep I'm talking about the older boots, I had a pair from at least 15 years ago

JonnyCrow

A lot of us here Chandler buy these, Spanish leather, rubber soles, full tongue and only cost 40 euros, can get them this finish or rough out
MVIMG_20230128_171528.jpg

Chandler

A lot of us here Chandler buy these, Spanish leather, rubber soles, full tongue and only cost 40 euros, can get them this finish or rough outView attachment 95501
Not a bad looking boot. I like the lining -- is it lined to the toe?

My ATF roughouts are 8 years old -- very minimal in construction and rather weak leather. Then again, and based on the Rose Anvil video of the double buckles (which don't appear to be G.I., anyway), the construction is probably pretty common.

JonnyCrow

My ATF roughouts are 8 years old -- very minimal in construction and rather weak leather. Then again, and based on the Rose Anvil video of the double buckles (which don't appear to be G.I., anyway), the construction is probably pretty common.
Lined all the way, everything stitched also, they seem to sell a lot of them too, these are the rough out style, just saw, on offer at 38 euros
71Yw2Tb8KiL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

Chandler

Trenton & Heath take apart a pair of ATF service shoes.

No telling what vintage the boots are -- there's a minor attempt to research ATF, but they obviously haven't followed ATF over the years. Owner claims these were made in Mexico, but I don't remember ATF ever sourcing through there.
Gonna bump this post I made at the beginning of the month for anyone wanting to see inside an ATF boot.

I'm guessing that, since the soles needed replacing, these are older -- import, ATF service shoes.

JonnyCrow

JonnyCrow

Sorry offered here at 34.99, believe me I live near woods and field hiking and walking the dogs and I've worn mine through everything, best pair of budget boots I own now

Micawber

I Found his review of an old British Army ammo boot interesting.

A high quality boot still obtainable as military surplus so generally remain affordable, being pre owned by some squaddie or other means they are generally well broken in. The hobnails, toe and heel steels will make a mess of domestic flooring, carpets, vehicle pedal rubbers and such so definitely an outdoor boot but watch out for the way they turn concrete surfaces into something resembling ice in terms of grip.

I also have two pairs of hobnail boots by William Lennon [Ruff-Lander} which are good but surplus ammo boots can't be beaten in terms of value.

As an aside, and mindful that I have probably waffled on about this before but I can't help but feel that Lennon [Ruff-Lander] boots are somewhat overlooked on this forum. Surprising really given the fact that they are an established company who produce high quality, traditional 'vintage' type footwear that I feel are a match to a lot of the bigger, higher volume boot makers outside of the UK. There again I shouldn't really be surprised given the way a handful of recommendations will often see a snowball effect leading to a stampede of others buying from the same producer. I suppose the lower volume handmade nature of the William Lennon output is in contrast to the more well known, or should I say more often advertised / plugged / vastly higher volume makers elsewhere. Of course current shipping costs and import fees plays a big part in deciding where to buy from.

Waffle over :)

JonnyCrow

I Found his review of an old British Army ammo boot interesting.

A high quality boot still obtainable as military surplus so generally remain affordable, being pre owned by some squaddie or other means they are generally well broken in. The hobnails, toe and heel steels will make a mess of domestic flooring, carpets, vehicle pedal rubbers and such so definitely an outdoor boot but watch out for the way they turn concrete surfaces into something resembling ice in terms of grip.

I also have two pairs of hobnail boots by William Lennon [Ruff-Lander} which are good but surplus ammo boots can't be beaten in terms of value.

As an aside, and mindful that I have probably waffled on about this before but I can't help but feel that Lennon [Ruff-Lander] boots are somewhat overlooked on this forum. Surprising really given the fact that they are an established company who produce high quality, traditional 'vintage' type footwear that I feel are a match to a lot of the bigger, higher volume boot makers outside of the UK. There again I shouldn't really be surprised given the way a handful of recommendations will often see a snowball effect leading to a stampede of others buying from the same producer. I suppose the lower volume handmade nature of the William Lennon output is in contrast to the more well known, or should I say more often advertised / plugged / vastly higher volume makers elsewhere. Of course current shipping costs and import fees plays a big part in deciding where to buy from.

Waffle over :)
Steve I've bought and worn a few old pairs of vintage boots, even German jackboots and original Luftwaffe flight boots, just because something is old, doesn't mean they're knacked

Smithy

but watch out for the way they turn concrete surfaces into something resembling ice in terms of grip.

Not good on pavement either truth be told Steve. Great on rocky, uneven terrain but not a practical around town boot.

I had my service shoes on again today in wet snow/slush conditions and I'm still surprised at how well they do in such stuff.

I literally spend all my time in boots - for work I have to wear tactical boots as part of my uniform, but in my free time I'm usually in boots, be it those service shoes, rough outs, RM Williams, Blundstones, Justin ropers or cowboy boots.

I guess I just like wearing boots.

JonnyCrow

Just got those vintage jodhpur Chelsea style boots, 12 euros with shipping, best deal I've made on boots for a while, lovely and broken in, bit of kiwi and spit n polish and they're fine
MVIMG_20230131_110426.jpg