• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Chandler

Daft question Grant but is this just polish on top of the oily leather? Been thinking about doing it myself but don’t want to wreck my Rangers.
What leather are your Iron Rangers?

If they're a "Rough & Tough" hide, that's RW's nubuck leather and polishing them probably isn't a good idea.

Then again, I have to imagine it's pretty difficult to "wreck" a pair of Iron Rangers. ;)

Flash Badger

What leather are your Iron Rangers?

If they're a "Rough & Tough" hide, that's RW's nubuck leather and polishing them probably isn't a good idea.

Then again, I have to imagine it's pretty difficult to "wreck" a pair of Iron Rangers. ;)
It is the oil finish rangers Chandler. I’ve only ever oiled them but often thought about putting a bit of Kiwi on them for a bit of shine.

B-Man2

Wearing Ralph Lauren Military rough out boots that you can pick up for ridiculously cheap money on EBay .
0E05D5DF-4126-4DE1-A9BB-93A795A63F6F.jpeg
4CE81CC6-5160-4EFF-8419-31140EDD3B3A.jpeg

Chandler

It is the oil finish rangers Chandler. I’ve only ever oiled them but often thought about putting a bit of Kiwi on them for a bit of shine.
You could probably get away with a light coat, but as Burt points out the oil in the leather might repel the polish -- probably help attract a lot of dirt, too.

FWIW -- Red Wing has great info and videos on care of their leather at their website.

Chandler

I wanted to show you guys another style of Thursdays Boots out of New York City . The last ones I posted in Adobe color most people run hot and cold to . I think these are a little more favorable looking. These are the “Thursday Vanguard” boot . View attachment 70042View attachment 70043
I have a formal request in to Thursday for them to make their Diplomat (moc toe) with one of their smooth leathers.

Sort of a poor man's Alden. ;)

Silver Surfer

I have 2 pairs [black, and adobe] Thursday boots, and have to say that they are comfy out of the box, super well made, and for the dough [$200] a flat out margin. what's more, the widths are human sized widths, and they have "wide" widths for those of us who have spent their lives wearing sneakers or flip flops, ie: wiiiiidddddeeee feet.

Grant

Hey Flash, I use Red Wing Neutral color boot cream. It helps condition without darkening the leather. It also takes a little shine with a good buffing using a cotton rag or old bath towel.

Grant

Just my experience, but using Kiwi polish on Iron Rangers leaves a white residue that's difficult to get out.

B-Man2

Hmm, aren't the Indy boots supposed to have also a horizontal stitch (see my suedes below)? Though mine are new, so maybe it was a feature added recently.
PS - you're gonna love them!
View attachment 73189
View attachment 73189View attachment 73190
They Alden 405s do have the horizontal stitch. The Alden 405s made for sale by J. crew does not have the horizontal stitch. Everything else is the same. I guess technically one could argue that without that stitch pattern they are not 100% accurate, but if that’s the case then from what I’ve read on the topic, none of the Alden’s made today are 100 % accurate because the movie boots didn’t represent the actual Alden boot of the time period portrayed in the movie as the actual ones aren’t made any longer. I’m not an Indy authority so I don’t know if that’s factual or not . But the boots are nicely made and I do like them . Maybe at some point, if any readers show an interest, we could put together a post comparing the two.

Last edited: