• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

ties70

Hi guys,

I have spent the beautiful day in our garden....and cleaned some of my boots. Guess there is another obvious Obsession!

Four Pairs of Redwings, two Pairs of Thorogoods, one Pair of Whites's....

img_2314.jpg

Skyhawk

Nice! I like to wear low top boots as well with flight jackets. Moly current pair are low top Doc Martens. Or high top All Stars.

Cocker

Either Dr Martens 1490 or hi top PF Flyers. Looking for a pair of Red Wings soon, I need some low tops. But, the budget, man...

Envoyé de mon SM-G950F en utilisant Tapatalk

Technonut2112

Either H.S. Trask Bison-hide ankle-boots, Red Wing 202's, or for winter, a pair of H.S. Trask cap-toe boots with sheepskin / shearling ankle shafts:

DSCF0498vlj.jpg

MikeyB-17

Now we’re talking! My daily wearers are a pair of Red Wing style Wolverines(with Red Wing soles). Other favourites are a pair of well-worn Red Wing work boots, Van’s Old Skool suede boots, classic Doc Marten 1460’s, any number of moc-toe boots, and a pair of very old Walker engineer boots. I’ll dig out some pics later.

ties70

Oldest Pair of Redwings is 15 years old, and with the exceptions of the Rangers all have been resoled.
The 1907s mocs are on their fifth sole already.

From my personal experience the Thorogood soles are far more durable than the Redwing soles...next time the 1907s need a resole they get Thorogoods instead of the original Redwings.

Best regards,

Ties

ties70

Interesting.... here in the US it’s almost as expensive to put replacement soles on shoes and boots as it is to buy a new pair. Shoe repair places are slowly disappearing. ( not hijacking the thread , just making an observation)
PS ...How’s it going Ties!!

Hey Burt,

i am doing great! Do you still have the Perry?

A replacement for the Redwing soles ranges from USD 80 - 100. Sure, that's pricy but a new pair Starts at 350 USD here in Germany.... What you get in return for spending the money on new soles is some more years of wear from perfect fitting worn in boots.

Ties

PS: Maybe you should think of a "cost per wear" ratio: Spending 80 USD for new soles and wear them once...? But wear them maybe 100 times, a 120 times....you get the idea....

Last edited: