• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Carl

Uk size 7 equates to a US size 8 ? is that correct ?

im looking for some appropriate footwear for next year to do an AAF display

stanier

Uk size 7 equates to a US size 8 ? is that correct ?

im looking for some appropriate footwear for next year to do an AAF display

That’s the theory Carl, but in my personal experience, shoe sizing translation is all over the place! Generally, I’ve found that in reality for high end boots if I buy the same as my UK size, so 8.5 UK and 8.5 US the fit is perfect. Actual dress shoes though, I need to buy US 9.5! So, go figure that! This has happened a few times now so I’m pretty sure I’ve got a pattern developing, and boy has it been an expensive discovery!

stanier

Oh, and as addendum, if they’re red wings I have to size down one full size and buy 7.5, then a perfect fit!:confused:

Steve27752

Hi Steve, how did you find the sizing on these?

Incidentally, and if it helps anyone, I was in the Red Wing store just off Carnaby Street, London a couple of weeks ago and they had as a centre piece display some very nice boots in the service shoe style but with speed laces at the top like on iron rangers. Might be useful at airports.

Cheers

Chris
I go for my usual size, but they are generous in width.

Steve27752

is it the photo Steve ? i cant see much colour difference apart from twhite stitching thats nicely blended in
Carl, hopefully the difference will be easier to see now. before and after.
IMG_2232.JPG
IMG_2244.JPG

ties70

You made my day!

BTW, what's the sizing on the Iron Rangers? Do they tend to run large, or small, or right on?

Cocker,

I would say they (at least mine) run large. They are a UK 8 / US 9, and I usually wear a UK 9 (in Clarks Desert Boots / in Astorflex), sometimes even UK 9.5.
They are consistent with almost all of my RW boots, though.

Ties

Cocker

Thanks Ties! I'll try to pop up to Maastricht one of these days, there's a great little shop there that sells Red Wings, amongst other nice brands.

Thomas Koehle

I’m an size 11 guy usually but my RW’s are 11.5

Weren’t Hobbits those guys with those enormously large feet? Well at least mine aren’t as hairy as Bilbo’s ...

B-Man2

Zoomer
Your right . The toe section resembles the US Army Garrison boots . Not the USMC boot from WWII Impressions , now I’m asking myself which one is correct?

Geeboo

RW.jpg
The said WWII Impressions USMC boots/ N1 boots just comes in suede in sand color. http://www.usww2uniforms.com/USN_field_shoes.html
If you mostly match it with A2 alike jacket, IMO brown/ russet cowhide boots match better. Also, WWII Impressions's [service] boots is also better than SM wholesale's by quite a lot, IMO.
Of course, the toe shape of these 2 are different.
If U want/ can accept a "hybrid", you may consider RW 9062/9063 - soft toe in brown cowhide
Nordstrom's sales page offer them at US$170 for factory second.

Last edited:

stanier

Cocker,

I would say they (at least mine) run large. They are a UK 8 / US 9, and I usually wear a UK 9 (in Clarks Desert Boots / in Astorflex), sometimes even UK 9.5.
They are consistent with almost all of my RW boots, though.

Ties

Agree go down at least half a size and actually I’d say a full size in my experience on Redwings unless you want ‘em flapping around like clown shoes