• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Flightengineer

Yes, I read this a long time ago. The lether on Chipewa Service boot and Chippewa Ellison 20065 (mine) is the same (the sole is different and mine model is very comfy). This article can do little to help me in my situation. I think I still have to darken them with mink oil or cream, I'm unlikely to be able to remove these smudges of oil.

Chandler

This article can do little to help me in my situation.
I understand. I was just stabbing at some way to extract oils from that sort of leather.

Difficult dilemma. I would think that adding more oil (like mink oil) might just highlight where the fish oil soaked in.

There must be some soap that can work deep and clean out that oil, but saddle soap is about the harshest I can think of.

Did you scrub at the stain with saddle soap and a stiff brush?

Enigma1938

Isn't there any stuff that firefighters use to soak up and get rid of oil that poured out on the streets in traffic accidents?

Chandler

Isn't there any stuff that firefighters use to soak up and get rid of oil that poured out on the streets in traffic accidents?
Oil-Dri -- I think it's called. It's some sort of granulated substance that you pour onto your garage floor to soak up oil spots. Might work.

Flightengineer

Did you scrub at the stain with saddle soap and a stiff brush?

This is exactly what I did, which led to the fact that the boot in the place where I did it lost part of paint and became lighter, but the oil remained and is now more noticeable :mad:.

I'll probably try household products for dissolving fat, it definitely won't get worse ...

Flightengineer

Flightengineer

Guys, thanks to everyone who chimed in.
Tim's method (talc and soda) + dishwashing liquid actually worked. This didn't completely remove the stains, but made them less noticeable by 70%, and now I shaded it with mink oil. Yes, there is a small area left that looks like a little dirt but I can live with that.

Smithy

Guys, thanks to everyone who chimed in.
Tim's method (talc and soda) + dishwashing liquid actually worked. This didn't completely remove the stains, but made them less noticeable by 70%, and now I shaded it with mink oil. Yes, there is a small area left that looks like a little dirt but I can live with that.

Great to hear it worked out for the best Dmitry. I was very impressed with the talc method those years ago.

Moral of the story though - don't go opening tins or jars of herring whilst wearing your best boots!

Flightengineer

Great to hear it worked out for the best Dmitry. I was very impressed with the talc method those years ago.

Moral of the story though - don't go opening tins or jars of herring whilst wearing your best boots!
Hi Tim, I didn't open it:oops:. It was an accident :). I took a package of herring in oil in vacuum packaging from shelf in the store. When I reached the checkout, I realized that my hand was covered in oil and the packaging was apparently defective. The girl at the checkout apologized and gave me a napkin to wipe my hands and replaced the package. I found these oil spots already at home, apparently the oil was dripping down on the boots and I didn’t even notice.
But yes, you're right, you don't need to eat herring in oil in these boots :)

Blackboxr1200S

There is a first for everything...
Landed my first pair yesterday.

Now, let's see if these live up to their reputation.

IMG_20221102_172409.jpg
IMG_20221102_172454.jpg
301722839_10158374994037447_248231789508813134_n.jpg

JonnyCrow

Hi guys,

I have spent the beautiful day in our garden....and cleaned some of my boots. Guess there is another obvious Obsession!

Four Pairs of Redwings, two Pairs of Thorogoods, one Pair of Whites's....

img_2314.jpg
As my wife says, things breed haha boots go along with jackets, then you have hats, shirts etc :D I have 3 pair of boots, 2 pairs of Dr Martens England made, lots of hats including a old fedora and a nice hand made Spanish Panama, and vintage Levi's jeans including big E 501 and 1902 limited edition made for suspenders, it's a labour of love

Chandler

Hi,
Nope... Bought these in the official RW shoestore in Amsterdam.
Just had a look on the US website, don't see much difference in the welt.

View attachment 85592
Maybe it's the angle of your picture, but the welt around the toe to the heel looks different -- even from this latest pic grab (which look just like my copper rough n' toughs).

FWIW -- the difference I'm seeing isn't a better or worse observation, just different.

Can you snap an image more from the side and at the same height?

Blackboxr1200S

Maybe it's the angle of your picture, but the welt around the toe to the heel looks different -- even from this latest pic grab (which look just like my copper rough n' toughs).

FWIW -- the difference I'm seeing isn't a better or worse observation, just different.

Can you snap an image more from the side and at the same height?

Here you go...

Sorry 'bout the late reply, been ( a bit too) busy couple of days
IMG_20221105_105612.jpg
IMG_20221105_105617.jpg