• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Cocker

Does anyone know why Red Wings boots are so cheap on the Red Wings French website ? :oops:

Checked with the Red Wing person in charge for France, and this is a scam that'll be reported to the Red Wing brand. Look at the S at the end of "Red WingS".

Kermit3D

Checked with the Red Wing person in charge for France, and this is a scam that'll be reported to the Red Wing brand. Look at the S at the end of "Red WingS".

Do you think it's a scam ?
I agree that it's too good to be true...
Which S are you talking about ?
I can't find any information on the internet about this site.
I will investigate. ;)

The shoes are in my basket just in case... but I won't pull the trigger until I'm sure everything is ok. And as you can see, I'm pretty sure there's a catch.

Cocker

I will investigate. ;)

The shoes are in my basket just in case... but I won't pull the trigger until I'm sure everything is ok. And as you can see, I'm pretty sure there's a catch.

Talking about the S in the address of the website, Red WingS. The brand is Red Wing, without an S at the end. As I said, this has been confirmed as a scam by the head of Red Wing in France:

1662720674070.png

Flightengineer

I will investigate. ;)

My antivirus doesn't even let me follow your link to this website with a warning that this is a fraudulent resource and that a phishing program is working there. Stay away, free cheese is only in a mousetrap!

Chandler

Wearing my Wested Adventurer boots today. I've always wanted a pair of Alden Indy boots but can't justify the US$600 price tag for a pair. I am stoked that Wested have similar boots that cost a fraction of the price. They're also Goodyear welted, which is a huge plus, and very comfortable to wear. https://wested.com/products/indiana-jones-adventurer-boots-3759-p
View attachment 84232
How does arch support feel in those? One of the features that always attracted me to Alden was their reputation of being supportive to your feet -- at least in the past.

Also, do the Wested boots show a manufacture location? The website is somewhat elusive.

They also provide no images of the soles -- more Vibram-like, I'm guessing?

FlakMagnet

How does arch support feel in those? One of the features that always attracted me to Alden was their reputation of being supportive to your feet -- at least in the past.

Also, do the Wested boots show a manufacture location? The website is somewhat elusive.

Arch support is not so bad, and it's comfortable for my feet. I tend to wear insoles anyway and haven't had any problems with it in the two months I've had it. Soles are stamped "Wested Leather Co." and the way it looks is similar to the original Red Wing Iron Rangers with the original, non-mini lug soles). I had sole protectors installed on mine though to get some better grip on the wet.
Regarding where these boots are made, there doesn't seem to be a stamp or anything that tells me where it's manufactured, so I can't tell you. It could either be made in Britain (as most Wested products (as far as I know) are), or it's possible it's made somewhere else.

Harris_HTM

Until a couple of years ago they were made in China, and Wested was quite open about it.
Then, around 2-3 years ago I remember a post in their Instagram page mentioning that the boots are no longer manufactured in China, without however disclosing a country.
The cheapest made in UK goodyear welted boot manufacturer that I know is NPS, and their boots are sold directly by them at around 250 pounds. I would be extremely surprised if the Wested boots, at this price level, are made in the UK.

Chandler

Caveat emptor, all. I found this web site while trying to find sales & seconds from Thursday Boots:

It appears to be a credit card harvesting front -- Thursday Boots proper has been notified and they tell me they're in the process of calling in the legal team to shut this site down.

Flightengineer

MAYDAY​

Hi guys, I need VLJ's hive mind help.
Yesterday at the store, a package of herring in oil spilled on my beautiful lovely chocolate Chippewa boot :(.
The saddle soap did not help, and as you can see, it only "brightened" the background and the oil streaks only became more visible. Clean aviation gasoline didn't help either :(

There are many leather and boots experts here. Is there a way to remove these stains or is the only option to darken it with mink oil?

I like the original "chocolate apache" color and I've only treated them once (after bought) with mink oil (they darkened a little, but then returned to their beautiful color).

I will be grateful for any help, friends.

Chandler

MAYDAY​

Yesterday at the store, a package of herring in oil spilled on my beautiful lovely chocolate Chippewa boot :(.
The saddle soap did not help, and as you can see, it only "brightened" the background and the oil streaks only became more visible. Clean aviation gasoline didn't help either :(

There are many leather and boots experts here. Is there a way to remove these stains or is the only option to darken it with mink oil?

I like the original "chocolate apache" color and I've only treated them once (after bought) with mink oil (they darkened a little, but then returned to their beautiful color).

Ugh. Saddle soap didn't help? Don't know then. Do you have a cobbler nearby who may be able to help?

The problem is to get all of that fish oil and protein out of the hide and saddle soap seems about the best bet.

There's a YouTube channel called Trenton & Heath -- the guys there perform some amazing repairs and refurbishing -- I think they have a regular web page, too. Might be worth contacting them.

Their website has an oddly different name than their channel -- I think it has to do with the shop they took over.

Flightengineer

Ugh. Saddle soap didn't help? Don't know then. Do you have a cobbler nearby who may be able to help?

The problem is to get all of that fish oil and protein out of the hide and saddle soap seems about the best bet.

There's a YouTube channel called Trenton & Heath -- the guys there perform some amazing repairs and refurbishing -- I think they have a regular web page, too. Might be worth contacting them.

Thank you. I also wrote to Chippewa's customer support, I hope they respond.
I've had a lot of oil leaks on my clothes and shoes when I've dealt with small planes, and this is the first time I've seen my cleaning efforts fail. It's just pack of preservedordinary herring in vegetable oil... the saddle soap was supposed to knock it out of the boot, but it looks like this shit just soaked into. It's probably the trouble with the sort of the leather that the boots are made from.
Too bad if I end up having to darken them, I really like their light brown color and how they develop a patina when worn. Mink fat or cream will simply kill all this beauty.

Harris_HTM

MAYDAY​

Maybe you could try this:
Once I had a sort of similar issue, I spilled sole oil conditioner on my chelsea boots and the renomat helped. Try it somewhere in the tongue though first.

Chandler

Thank you. I also wrote to Chippewa's customer support, I hope they respond.
I've had a lot of oil leaks on my clothes and shoes when I've dealt with small planes, and this is the first time I've seen my cleaning efforts fail. It's just pack of preservedordinary herring in vegetable oil... the saddle soap was supposed to knock it out of the boot, but it looks like this shit just soaked into. It's probably the trouble with the sort of the leather that the boots are made from.
Too bad if I end up having to darken them, I really like their light brown color and how they develop a patina when worn. Mink fat or cream will simply kill all this beauty.
Are they nubuck leather? I can see that being difficult to clean oil out of.