• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Flightengineer

Ok. Not the gum soles like Clark’s?

Never worn Clarks.

CombatWombat

Veldskoen - the boots that started the history of the all desert boots.
Incredible quality and comfort, very happy with these Vellies from South Africa.
Special thanks to @Brettafett and his friend from SA for helping with sizing.

If you think these are nice you should see the selous Scout boot.....thin but robust rubber sole with a buffalo (?) Leather that has as beautiful grain to it and it's toe cap and heel capped..... feels a bit strange at first because of how tactial they are but once you've got used to it, it's like walking around in thongs/flip flops but classy lol

Chandler

He's done American "Rangers" and German "Jackboots" too
He does a bloody good job of showing what's inside the boots we wear
"Rangers?" I missed that one -- and it turns out the jackboots we're probably post-war manufacture, but it was still interesting to see how they were built.

This "series" all started when he studied a pair of US double-buckles -- also pretty interesting.

B-Man2

"Rangers?" I missed that one -- and it turns out the jackboots we're probably post-war manufacture, but it was still interesting to see how they were built.

This "series" all started when he studied a pair of US double-buckles -- also pretty interesting.
Chandler
Here’s the you tube of him cutting up Red Wing Iron Rangers
Cheers

Chandler

Chandler
Here’s the you tube of him cutting up Red Wing Iron Rangers
Cheers

Oh yeah, been following Rose Anvil for a while. Like a lot of his vids, but the sneakers are yawners. ;)

So -- when @CombatWombat mentioned "Rangers" in context with the other military boots, I thought he meant some sort of elite unit pair of boots. Now I get it.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Oh yeah, been following Rose Anvil for a while. Like a lot of his vids, but the sneakers are yawners. ;)
Yeah same here … but it broke my heart to see him cut up a pair of WWII US buckle boots . Only so many pairs of those left in the world.:(

Chandler

Yeah same here … but it broke my heart to see him cut up a pair of WWII US buckle boots . Only so many pairs of those left in the world.:(
According to Weston, he was seeing a lot of them available online. He also talks about using his "method" as historical research and wants to have all of the vintage ones available for all to study.

That, and the pair of Double Buckles wasn't exactly in wearable condition.

CombatWombat

Oh you call them Double Buckles?
Oh I thought they were called Rangers lol (I guess it's just the French that named there type as Rangers)
And the Jackboots probably were since they had rubber soles with the side strap......still they look good with the wood pegs

Smithy

I've been wearing my Sturm Mil-Tec Roughouts from SoF a lot over the last few months (more so than the Service Shoes) and just have to put a plug in for them. Terrific boots and super hardwearing. If anyone is after some Roughouts, I wholeheartedly recommend them and they're a damn good price too. The Sturm Mil-Tec Service Shoes also get 2 thumbs up.

Members online

Latest posts