Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Flightengineer

Right now on Bay WW2 USN NAVY BOONDOCKER BOOTS SIZE 11.5A MINT UNWORN NOS

Grant

Borrowed a pair of original WWII Russet Service shoes from a collector friend to compare to my repro ATF Services Shoes. I'm no a boot expert, but the originals have finer stitching, thicker soles and a more pronounced cap toe than the repros. I'm perfectly happy with my ATF repros, but cool to compare them to a dead stock pair of originals.

SERVO1.jpg
ServA.jpg
ServO3.jpg
ServA3.jpg
ServO4.jpg
ServA4.jpg

B-Man2

Grant
Great comparison photos. Those Dead Stock originals are in pristine condition for boots close to 80 years old. While the differences are subtle, you’re right in that the repros are a slight bit off from the originals. I guess it’s a bit like the repro A2 compared to an original A2. No matter who makes it and how close it comes to the original there’s always going to be just a slight difference in the two . Cool post
Thanks

jack31916

I like this sort of reviews / comparisons very much. So thanks Grant !.

Buzz Rickson did the best repros but those were expensive and no bigger than size 9...

ATF, WW2Imp and SM Wholesale are very good repros but as B-Man2 stated, always a bit off from the originals.

B-Man2

I like this sort of reviews / comparisons very much. So thanks Grant !.

Buzz Rickson did the best repros but those were expensive and no bigger than size 9...

ATF, WW2Imp and SM Wholesale are very good repros but as B-Man2 stated, always a bit off from the originals.
The nice thing about comparison photos is, that you can save the photos and start your own data bank of original items for later comparison of a repro item you may want to purchase down the road, weather it be a jacket, boots or clothing. Then you will be able to purchase the repro item that most closely duplicates the original item.

MikeyB-17

Really interesting to see the two pairs together. I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t prefer the shape of the repros, that toe on the originals is pretty damn ugly, authentic or not. A lot of companies produce boots using a similar design, Red Wing Iron Rangers for instance, and most of them seem to flatten out that slightly comical upturned toe and make it a bit less rounded. Mind you, it looks like ATF have changed their design, because a quick glance shows a more rounded, sticky-up toe here:-