• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

crism1

I'm not much of a fan of the new Doc Martens. I don't think the price\quality value is right there, the leather is very thin (it's corrected) and it's almost impossible to resole them, even if they claim they are Goodyear Welted. After getting into shoes, I can't really buy "disposable" ones without feeling bad. This is, of course, a super personal opinion, but I do think they are more of a teenager boot, something you take when you want to dip your toe outside the sneakers realm. Although you can find amazing Doc deals out there, for example, my sister snitched a pair of Burgundy Doc for 40 Euros at the Mall.

Last edited:

Flightengineer

I don’t know what kind of brand it is, I bought this work style boots in Holland many years ago. Sometimes I wear them with A-2 or B-15.

Smithy

I had a pair of English made Doc boots, 8 ups with the grey tags which I bought in 1988 when I was in my The Cure phase. I was an absolute prick to them (hardly surprising at that age, parties, gigs, pubs) and they held up beautifully and lasted for years. I had heard the new ones aren't a patch on the old ones.

but I picked up a pair of UK-made six-hole Solovairs

I'd heard about them a few years back and have had my eye on a pair of these for some time now...

S8-551-CH-G_Gaucho_Crazy_Horse_8_Eye_Derby_Boot_1.jpg

MikeyB-17

These are mine. They're identical to the ones I was issued in the early 90's, and are probably, in fact, ex-Southwestern Ambulance Service. They were in a sorry state when I bought them, unworn but covered in dust and that dull waxy coating they used to have, but for £25 I was definitely having them. A bit of work and some polish and now they pee all over my Chinese Doc's. BTW if anyone has tiny feet I have a pair of original UK made 1460 DM's in a size 5 I want to move on.

Smithy

Yeah I reckon I'm going to stump up for the pair above fairly shortly.

What's the sizing like on Solovairs, do they run true to size?

Smithy

Well, 25+ year old ones fit true to size! Modern ones I can’t comment on! :)

I actually had a good poke around on their site and they have an excellent sizing and fit guides for each shoe/boot so I should be pretty good.

MikeyB-17

Been promising myself a pair of these boys for years. Red Wing 877. Finally got there. The finest footwear I have ever owned - and comfortable straight out of the box. Looking forward to wearing them in. It occurs to me that I could've bought a decent jacket for the money they cost, but I guess that's an indication of my priorities these days.

Grant

Damn, they sure are pretty right out of the box, and will only get better looking as they're worn and beat up! Congrats man!

ausreenactor

Can you whack in some speed laces? I boot up every morning but I hate having to do the Corcorans up and down, even as infrequently as I do..