• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boot recommendations for icy conditions

SteveN

Does anyone have recommendations for boots for heavy snow and ice? I have an unplanned trip coming up to Quebec City for a month, and am scrambling to prepare. High today was -13C (!). I'm hoping an M-65 with a liner and a few layers + scarf will do the trick there (yeah, I know a shearling would be ideal, but expensive for a single trip). I've never done an icy winter before, so welcome any boot recommendations.

Smithy

Does anyone have recommendations for boots for heavy snow and ice? I have an unplanned trip coming up to Quebec City for a month, and am scrambling to prepare. High today was -13C (!). I'm hoping an M-65 with a liner and a few layers + scarf will do the trick there (yeah, I know a shearling would be ideal, but expensive for a single trip). I've never done an icy winter before, so welcome any boot recommendations.

We get a LOT of ice here and a lot of mirror ice, the worst stuff which can be a couple of inches thick and as smooth as glass and as hard as steel.

In the old days and especially if we are talking WWII, you'd wear boots with hobnails which are very effective. The problem is that they will rip up and seriously mark and damage modern interior flooring. Your best bet is to use what they call here in Norway, "brodder" which are hobnails (even crampons in the heavy duty ones) which slip over your shoes and can be taken off and put on with ease. Here's what I'm talking about.

861343.jpg

If you're talking about walking around in deep snow and very cold conditions, I have a pair of Sorel boots which are perfect for those kinds of conditions as they're sheepskin lined. I also use them up in the mountains over winter with or without snowshoes. Here's mine...

47778_1_buff.png

HTH,

Tim

Smithy

As you're going for more than a couple of days I'll also add a few more things that might help you. Being a Kiwi who lived a long time in Australia and then moved to inside the Arctic Circle in Norway I learnt very quickly from trial and area about this stuff.

Get yourself a couple of pairs of very good quality thermal underwear, preferably merino wool which is better at wicking perspiration away from the skin. When you dress to be outside for an extended period when it's seriously cold this is what you should have on (they even teach this at kindergarten here because it's so important). First the thermal layer, then a wool or fleece layer and lastly a windproof and water resistant insulated outer layer. Wind is actually far more dangerous in serious sub zero temperatures than the actual ambient temperature, that's something I learnt the hard way here.

Good gloves - not the namby-pamby stuff but properly insulated, a thick long woollen scarf and a hat/thick beanie that covers your ears. You could get by with the M-65 but you'll need to layer quite a lot in those temperatures and for than reason you're better off using an insulated parka which is windproof.

Once again hope that helps. Spending a month somewhere very cold is very different than a week's holiday in a ski resort and you should be prepared for that. Also take some hand and face moisturiser. People who aren't used to extreme cold will very often suffer cracked skin on the ends of fingers (even when wearing gloves) and on the face. I still get it occasionally on the ends of some of my fingers at the start of the cold season and it can be rather painful.

STEVE S.

I second the motion for Sorel boots. Look around & see if you can find an older pair made in Canada. Much higher quality than the newer ones made in Asia.