• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bomber Jacket Photo Project...

johnslemp

Hi John,

I have come across a few of your pictures before, particularly those of WW2 veterans, without knowing you were the photographer. Among, if not the best, WW2 veterans' portraits I have seen. True tributes to these men and women and a necessary task given that many, if not most, are not with us anymore. Well done sir, and glad that you are back in this house, so to speak. Welcome back and very glad to have you aboard!
And btw, I have pre-ordered your book as well and I am in France. If you could sign it that would be great! Many thanks.

Lorenzo.

Hello Lorenzo!
Many thanks for the kind words regarding the portraits. It has been a labor of love, so to speak...one that I whole heartedly thought worthwhile of the effort. Many thanks too, for your order, and, being in France, I'm trying to get the international shipping portion of this equation set up. Thanks for the incentive!
John

johnslemp

Hello John, after reading this post, I spent a half hour on your site. Thank you for what you are doing to highlight the heroics of these veterans (men and women as it appears you have interviewed several WASP pilots from what I read). The book looks fantastic, I saw the preview you have posted. I pre-ordered one yesterday and like everyone else, would love to have a signed copy if not too much trouble. I also bought a hat and it looks like I might have ordered the last one! You should make some more as I have a feeling when the book goes public there might be even more interest in the ball cap. I look forward to wearing it with my A2! Thanks again for what you are doing, I cant wait for the book! Kevin

Hello Kevin!
Many, many Thanks! I'll get your hat out to you ASAP...Be Well!
John

johnslemp

Hello Gents!

We are getting down to the wire for sending off files to the graphic designer, and I had a last minute thought.

Does anyone know of a source for original drawings for the jackets?

On the inside tags one sees the Drawing No. 30-1415 as the spec for the jackets, but I've not seen one.

High resolution copies are what is needed for the book.

Any help would be most appreciated...

John

Last edited:

2BM2K

The short answer to that is no. The original drawings have not been found.

The US Army specification number is 94-3040. This was recovered from national archives a few years ago but no drawing. This can be viewed on the Acmedepot http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/A2_SpecDocuments.pdf

The drawing number is 30-1415. This forms part of the specification but was not recovered from the archive
with the specification.

The number 30-1415 looks to be an AC order number, it could be in an archive somewhere waiting to found.

Geoff

33-1729

This is a great project and I’m glad to see life shown back onto these brave souls.

On the drawing . . . I was able to get the original A-2 spec 94-3040 declassified a few years ago, but no luck on getting the original 30-1415 drawing. Later I found that the Air Force was unsuccessful in locating an original A-2 drawing when they wanted to officially reintroduce the A-2 in 1988, so they relied upon Avirex with Willis & Geiger Outfitters to create a new A-2 drawing at that time. (Avirex made several hundred jackets in 1987 for the USAF 40th anniversary.)

2BM2K

On the drawing . . . I was able to get the original A-2 spec 94-3040 declassified a few years ago, but no luck on getting the original 30-1415 drawing

The 30-1415 is interesting. It has the format of an AC Order number from the fiscal year 1929 to 1930.

In theory it should be recorded in the Air Corp 1930 fiscal report. If that could be found then it might uncover more information.

Brettafett

Burt, the last I heard was that it is looking to printed in the fall.
They are still in the design phase, already at 280 pages and more to add, which can only be a good thing.
I dont know how John's going to edit this...
I gather that they are going to publish an immense and extravagant book, that is going to be more than a treasure.

Anyone not yet ordered one, I highly recommend that you do.

warguy

I remember the last update was this Fall as well. I am looking forward to my copy! I ordered one of their last ball caps at same time I ordered the book and the cap was shipped immediately with a follow up email from John a week later to make sure it arrived and that I liked it. Great customer service so far!

B-Man2

Thanks Bretta …. I appreciate your response . :)
Burt, the last I heard was that it is looking to printed in the fall.
They are still in the design phase, already at 280 pages and more to add, which can only be a good thing.
I dont know how John's going to edit this...
I gather that they are going to publish an immense and extravagant book, that is going to be more than a treasure.

Anyone not yet ordered one, I highly recommend that you do.

B-Man2

I remember the last update was this Fall as well. I am looking forward to my copy! I ordered one of their last ball caps at same time I ordered the book and the cap was shipped immediately with a follow up email from John a week later to make sure it arrived and that I liked it. Great customer service so far!
Thanks WarGuy for the update . :)

B-Man2

Hey Guys
Today I received my copy of “ Bomber Boys”. It is an outstanding book that I think most of you will be very happy with. The photos and the background stories of some of the people featured in the photos are excellent. The only down side for me was, that I requested a signed copy from John at the time of purchase, but my book wasn’t signed. I’d suggest that if you haven’t received your book yet that you re-request a signed copy if you want one . I’m bummed but … oh well.

Last edited:

warguy

I received my copy a few hours ago as well and did a little write up in the books section. I think the book is fantastic and a welcome edition to the flgith jackets section of my library.

Stony

Hello Folks!

I must admit that until recently I was unaware of this group, but I've undertaken a project that might be of interest to the members. I'm a commercial photographer in Atlanta, with a specialization in Aviation. Over the holidays I began photographing WWII "bomber jackets", or as they are more properly known, A2 jackets. I'm specifically seeking jackets with hand-painted artwork, preferably on both sides, from the WWII period. The present condition is irrelevant. All who participate will receive a free print of each side of the jacket for their efforts.

The eventual goal is to create an exhibition (with life-sized prints), a book, or both.

Additional details, including my contact information, can be found here: http://aerographsblog.com/wordpress/?p=1457

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have...
What's a Bomber jacket? I thought they were called flight jackets.

B-Man2

I received my copy a few hours ago as well and did a little write up in the books section. I think the book is fantastic and a welcome edition to the flgith jackets section of my library.
Was your copy signed ?

warguy

No it wasn't signed and I like you I had requested it through the forum. Something missed there I guess. Would have been nice but the book is amazing enough for me anyway to allow some forgiveness. Figure i might catch him at a show someday maybe.

warguy

A suggestion for a name change was made here on the forum some time ago but I think he was too far in at that time. He has been working on the book since 2014. Catchy title but obviously not as accurate as it could be for folks who really study these jackets. For what it’s worth, there are a number of Fighter Pilot A2’s depicted in the book.

warguy

Shanghai Jack, you will love the book I think as will your friend for his birthday. I have a friend, a respected dealer who recently helped put me into three original jackets for my collection. His copy is on its way as a show of gratitude.

Tattoo A2

Hey Guys
Today I received my copy of “ Bomber Boys”. It is an outstanding book that I think most of you will be very happy with. The photos and the background stories of some of the people featured in the photos are excellent. The only down side for me was, that I requested a signed copy from John at the time of purchase, but my book wasn’t signed. I’d suggest that if you haven’t received your book yet that you re-request a signed copy if you want one . I’m bummed but … oh well.
Hopefully mine comes soon , I preordered one myself, looking forward to it.