• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bomb tags

Officer Dibley

Picked a couple of these mint bomb tags the other week. Couldn't find the "What to put in your jacket pocket" thread so creating a new thread.
Obviously no good as a zipper pull any more than the tinplate ones.
An NO WAY having owned one in the past could i ever use an Aero tag. (Sorry Ken i normally love all Aero do but this was not the greatest idea of yours ;-) ).

IMG_9573.JPG

Officer Dibley

Yep and as a keyring they are fine but many folk seem to use them as zipper pulls :confused: Not here on VLJ of course !

I'd have liked yours more if they were hals or 1/3 size like the tinplate ones.

All subjective of course. If i were that bothered i'd get my own made , but i'm not ;)

stanier

Apologies, clearly I’m missing something here! Is the point that the bomb tag pulls were only paper or something else?

Officer Dibley

Some were small enamelled tinplate with various sizes of split pin. I no longer have mine but here's a photo off internet

stanier

Thanks for the pics Grant, well cool!

So are the Aero ones good repros or fantasy dimensions / something else. I have one I got years ago and I’ve been saving for my dream B-3 zipper pull. Should I think again?

Cheers

Grant

So are the Aero ones good repros or fantasy dimensions / something else. I have one I got years ago and I’ve been saving for my dream B-3 zipper pull. Should I think again?

Cheers

Hey Stanier, I find the reproduction metal bomb tag pullers like the ones Aero sells clunky and heavy compared to originals.
If I were you, I'd wait and keep an eye our for an original which pop every now and then, or find another zip puller idea like the one I posted earlier - a well used piece of leather lacing from a pair of blown out combat boots.

PULLER.jpg

Ken at Aero Leather

Cheers

Good question, but
I don't know the answer, these were not produced during "my watch". I've always assumed they were exact replicas as I do know our original lot came for a highly respected collector?
On the Aero website it says "These can be seen in various publications; Maguire's "American Flight Jackets & Airmen" Page 28 being a good example."
Anyone got a copy to check the size??

Carl

I have a couple of original paper bomb tags with mission details on them ! Be blowed if im using them !!

Edward

not a bomb tag but I thought it interesting and it was cheap so I have this air transport command AAF luggage tag that I keep in a protective sleeve and attached to my vintage suitcase. :p hey I'm goin' places! lol!

IMG_2007.JPG
39442878_10216311026306340_2015623444728643584_n.jpg
39441123_10216311026506345_3298171370180968448_n.jpg

stanier

Good question, but
I don't know the answer, these were not produced during "my watch". I've always assumed they were exact replicas as I do know our original lot came for a highly respected collector?
On the Aero website it says "These can be seen in various publications; Maguire's "American Flight Jackets & Airmen" Page 28 being a good example."
Anyone got a copy to check the size??

I've got that book and finally had chance to check today. Whilst very similar to the Aero tag the two things are of different dimensions, but then again the pic in the book seems to have different dimensions to Grant's tag which I think is slightly again different to the Aero tag but with similar dimensions, although all very similar, so who knows how many types there were and if the Aero one is a copy of an actual one, or not.

With all due respect to OfficerDibley I'm not sure what he doesn't like about the Aero tag, which looks good to my eye, though I think I'll run a file round it before I use it. I don't suppose they were too worried about sharp edges on bomb tags anyway during the war, but they wont do my hands, gloves or jacket much good!

And lastly I wish I could get an original like Grant's!