• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Dong Tanker

Is Bob Dong true to size?

• Yes, order your regular size.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No, go a size up.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Go with a different brand.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Seth Byrnes

The Tanker on AliExpress

The Tanker on eBay

Hey folks,
I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help me to establish the sizing on the Bob Dong tank jacket.

I've been eyeballing it for a while but am afraid to pull the trigger before having some more info.

I'm definitely a size 36R in most cases, a 38R when things run very small.

The measurement chart looks pretty good except for the shoulders. Should I trust it or just go up a size?

Thanks in advance!

HTB1dRZHasrrK1RjSspaq6AREXXa5.jpg

Thomas Koehle

The DONGs are usually true in size means if you order a 44 (which usually is my size) I so far got a 44 that fits

If you refer to their size description in “L” or “M” I usually go 1 size up from a XL to a XXL

On the other hand side i own one of their 1st model-tankers with the outside pockets which runs a bit small anyway which I almost forgot

Due to that fact i’d go 1 size up

Steve27752

The Tanker on AliExpress

The Tanker on eBay

Hey folks,
I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help me to establish the sizing on the Bob Dong tank jacket.

I've been eyeballing it for a while but am afraid to pull the trigger before having some more info.

I'm definitely a size 36R in most cases, a 38R when things run very small.

The measurement chart looks pretty good except for the shoulders. Should I trust it or just go up a size?

Thanks in advance!

HTB1dRZHasrrK1RjSspaq6AREXXa5.jpg
Welcome to VLJ. I am pretty sure that someone will know.
By way of an introduction, why not post a bit about yourself here.
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/forums/member-bios.21/

Seth Byrnes

How much space did your upsizing get you? I'm hoping for enough clearance for a (slightly) relaxed fit as a bomber style doesn't look right when it's too clingy.

tankers_CT.jpg

B-Man2

How much space did your upsizing get you? I'm hoping for enough clearance for a (slightly) relaxed fit as a bomber style doesn't look right when it's too clingy.

tankers_CT.jpg
Seth
I think you’ll be surprised that Tanker jackets are a bit oversized . I’m not sure how the Dongs size out but I’ve owned 2 of these from different companies and the pleated by-swing backs made them look large on me. For example I wear a 46 A2 but the 44 Tanker is large on me . As I said Dongs may be made differently.
Cheers
B-Man2

Seth Byrnes

C1yue7K.jpg

This is what the back of the BD looks like.

I know the tankers are intended to be oversized, I also know that the chinese repro's tend to go slim for a more 'fashion-oriented' approach.
It may just be me but the bi-swing looks sort of small on the BD.

Since you own a couple, how do the proportions relate to your own jackets?

B-Man2

The by-Swing back on the Dong looks to be more of a pleat . I have a size 44 WWII Impressions Tanker ( see photos ) and you can see that there’s actually depth in the pleated area that makes up the by- swing back. The jacket looks fairly normal lying down but once you put it on and the back expands you have additional room in the jacket. Once again I don’t know about the Dongs other than what I can see in your photo.

80E17BDD-54B1-482A-893D-A96B12252048.jpeg

BAA69E70-0372-406D-86AF-0D39B2E78022.jpeg

2B1B2F62-C4A9-41C9-BB1E-35A0001BDB46.jpeg

Seth Byrnes

Thank you for sharing!
Those ww2Impressions jackets have been on my radar a good while.

Unfortunately it looks like they start at size 38 and I am very much a 36, plus they haven't held stock in some time.
I'd have sprung for one of those already if they had them in stock in my size as they look fantastic!

colekwok

I am wearing a size 40 Bob Tanker now. I would be more careful about the length of the jacket and the sleeves rather than the chest size.

Brettafett

Not sure if this helps, but I usually wear a 40( long) in A-2s/ B-10s etc. I got a Bob Dong B-10 in a 42... it was an ok fit, a bit roomy to my liking, but the lengths were good.
Subsequently discovered a 40 fits better in the body and shoulders, but lengths are too short. So, no Bob Dong B-10 for me anymore.

Seth Byrnes

I am wearing a size 40 Bob Tanker now. I would be more careful about the length of the jacket and the sleeves rather than the chest size.
What's your normal jacket size & would you be able to share pictures of how the jacket fits you?

I wonder if you might also be willing to go a step further and share the dimensions of the jacket?

I like to establish fit online by seeing 3rd party photos but unfortunately there's a near dearth of consumer photos on the BD stuff (except flight jackets).

I usually wear a 40( long) in A-2s/ B-10s etc.
I got a Bob Dong B-10 in a 42... it was an ok fit, a bit roomy to my liking, but the lengths were good.
Discovered a 40 fits better in the body and shoulders, but lengths are too short.

That sounds to me like it will fit me pretty well once I can establish my size, as I tend to like the look of slightly higher crop on jackets even though I am an 'R' size.
It's unfortunate that the size down didn't work out for you - I assume it was due to your height :(

I messaged the seller and they suggested I take a size 40 due to my height and body type.
I don't know how much I trust them but the measurements they sent me matched up with a jacket of mine.

Brettafett

I just tend to have long arms, but its my personal opinion.... Based on your info thus far, I'd try a 40.
Don't they offer returns? Maybe get a 40 and 42... I've done that before with jackets, a few times... and its the one way to be super certain of fit. No guess work or regrets. And the return postage is worth it for Dong prices...

Seth Byrnes

Don't they offer returns? Maybe get a 40 and 42... I've done that before with jackets, a few times... and its the one way to be super certain of fit. No guess work or regrets. And the return postage is worth it for Dong prices...
It doesn't sound like a bad idea to me, what's return postage like to China though?

johnwayne

Ive got a BR tanker, deemed by many to be pretty faithful to originals and I'd say by comparison that bi swing back on the BD is far too narrow and shouldn't taper towards the waist like that!