• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BOB DONG B10 - something new coming up

Thomas Koehle

due to the fact that I was pretty satisfied with the "red knit" B10 I purchased from BOB DONG I was checking wether I can also get hands on the greenish version of the jacket ...

one of my pals got in touch with a shop which announced to not have any more size 44 B10`s on stock but something will come up within the next few weeks ...

forwarded me these pics

lHKOEaq.jpg

q9Rtohr.jpg

BK9O8Lm.jpg

looks like a pretty naughty attempt to copycat one of the BR / RMC jackets (think I saw that distinctive "Chief" already on a BR jacket (B3???) and not so sure wether I want one of these printed jackets

need to consider ...

let me know what you guys think about it ...

Saludos!

Thomas

Smithy

I seriously believe that if a western distributor can be set up for these Chinese companies like Bob Dong and Bronson, they'd sell like hot cakes. That's probably the one thing which makes people hesitate is the ordering from China direct and the potential language difficulties/misunderstandings. Saying that though it does seem that it's getting easier to order from China and that they are trying to make it easier for us in the West to buy from them what with even Fleabay stores now.

Part of me is tempted but I'm still happy with my ATF B-10 for now.

Last edited:

Cocker

I'm with Smithy on this one. The pin up in the back looks more like a part from a 60's ad than a pin up from WW2. The reste looks great, though!

Thomas Koehle

I'm with Smithy on this one. The pin up in the back looks more like a part from a 60's ad than a pin up from WW2. The reste looks great, though!

Cedric you nailed it! That "pin up" looks more 60ies than wartime ...

I know there was something but couldn`t point it out

Technonut2112

To each their own I guess... ;) I'm not looking for total period-accuracy on the 'art', and my circle of friends here in Hillbilly Heaven won't know the difference anyway. :p At least there was indeed a 'Chief Sly' in that Bomb Group. I noticed the same above B-10 on Aliexpress, but the price has been floating between $319.00-$295.00 depending upon sales, which is a bit more than I wanted to spend. I did more digging, and found that I could purchase from Bob Dong through an agent for a total of $180.00 shipped to my door. :)

My size 42 Bronson fits great, but I would like a little more room for a jeep sweater, and the size 44 BD looks like it will do the trick. I'm really liking the 95% wool lining as well. Should be somewhat warmer than my Bronson (75%). I'm expecting the BD in a few weeks, and will start a thread when it arrives. I also have a B-15A MOD on the way which looks VERY nice. If my research is correct, it is Japanese-made, and also obtained for a killer price (lower than Aliexpress or eBay).... ;)

EDIT: I will be putting my Bronson B-10 up for sale soon (USA only), so keep an eye on the Classies if interested...

Last edited:

johnwayne

Think the back a/w on both pretty poor, almost transfer like and that 'stubby 8th' looks real cheap and nasty on the b-10, that's my 2 penny's worth, bit Avirexy! You get what you pay for I guess and with sizing variations even these cheaper prices are a bit of a gamble IMO but to each his own!!

Technonut2112

Think the back a/w on both pretty poor, almost transfer like and that 'stubby 8th' looks real cheap and nasty on the b-10, that's my 2 penny's worth, bit Avirexy! You get what you pay for I guess and with sizing variations even these cheaper prices are a bit of a gamble IMO but to each his own!!

Looking at the uber-expensive Toys McCoys above, it appears as they were going for a 'weathered, aged, chipped' look, and BD copied it on their version. Being around $2000.00 more expensive than the BD (apples & oranges to a cloth B-10, but still...), I think they did OK for the price. ;) At least I'll be able to actually wear it without fear of damage. :) Eventually, it should wear-down to a nice faded look. As for the shoulder decal, I don't particularly like it either... good thing I have quite a few different cloth AAF roundels to choose from to cover it. ;)

If you haven't actually handled one of the better constructed imports, you would be surprised at the overall quality of the jackets themselves. (check out the Bronson pics in my FS post in the Classies) As for sizing, I've found the better-known seller's measurements to be pretty accurate to what I've received. In this type of cloth jacket, I want to just wear the hell out of it and enjoy it... Scuffs, stains, and all. I couldn't do that with a $600.00+ version.

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Well I own one of the Bob Dong B10 with the red knitting. I‘m surprised about the quality and would like to get also the OD version.

Due to the fact that it is available with the backprint only I was considering to just paintover the backprint with a better handpainted Motive ...

Technonut2112

Well I own one of the Bob Dong B10 with the red knitting. I‘m surprised about the quality and would like to get also the OD version.

Due to the fact that it is available with the backprint only I was considering to just paintover the backprint with a better handpainted Motive ...

I wanted the BD 'Chief Sly' version with red knits, but they were not available in my size. :( The green still looks good though IMO. Pics can vary greatly from what something looks like 'in-the-flesh', and I have a feeling that the back-print will be OK for what I want. :) Given a couple years' wear, and rubbing against the back, laundering, etc.., I think it will fade to an overall pleasing look. If not, I may put your over-paint idea to work.. Hell, the hardest part is already done.. the design it's self... ;) :)

EDIT: Personally, I like the 'Chief Sly' design (as evidently folks who purchased the TM A-2 version did as well), and kind of hope that it does fade to more or less an outline to paint-over. It would be a nice summer project for me to complete in the future...

EDIT: I ran across a couple high-end B-10's from Toys McCoys. For over $1,000.00 each, I really don't think the Bob Dong is bad at all. ;) Here's one of them:

TB2.4gtmfNNTKJjSspcXXb4KVXa_!!141831394.jpg

TB2Mgr2mfxNTKJjy0FjXXX6yVXa_!!141831394.jpg

And this $1050.00 Freewheelers B-10:

TB2CYlxfwfH8KJjy1zcXXcTzpXa_!!141831394.jpg

TB2EdLvd7fb_uJjSsrbXXb6bVXa_!!141831394.jpg

Last edited:

johnwayne

Hmm, the Freewheelers version looks pretty realistic in terms of the artwork looking crude by comparison to Lady Luck and therein lies the fact why personally I'd steer away from most if not all painted repro jackets - the artwork is too good. When you look at original painted jackets it's pretty obvious they've been hand painted whereas these look as mentioned, like a transfer which at the cost probably are. Even on the high end Japanese repros they just look too crisp although I've seen or handled one in the flesh. By comparison, the artwork on ELCs jackets look pretty realistic.
Having said all that the quality of the actual jacket, particularly the Bronson, does look pretty good I must say when compared to my BR B10.