• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Dong B-15 Jacket

B-Man2

Thanks Carl...….Most of the places selling this jacket are already out of the size 44 in Olive green color. Just have the Khaki color left in size 44.
They sell out very quickly in the larger size 44.

Technonut2112

The shell material on my original Aronff B-15A's is made green poplin material that's tightly woven and incredibly water resistant. I guess Dong uses twill material for cost cutting reasons?

I imagine it would be quite difficult to source the extremely tight weave found on the originals and upper-tier repros. Very first thing I noticed when comparing the Eastman, Buzz, and most recently "The Few" B-10's I had / have (I moved-along the Eastman) to Bronson and other less expensive Chinese cloth military jacket repros I've owned. More than likely, the expensive offerings were woven from the vintage looms that were snatched-up from the original USA factories and moved to Japan some years back.

The other noticeable difference is in the stitching. The expensive repros have a tighter stitch-count than the Chinese versions. That said, I must say that I'm impressed with how well Bronson followed Buzz's Rough Wear B-10 / B-15 patterns starting with last year's versions.... MUCH better than what they were selling in previous years. If I get some spare time, I may start a thread comparing the differences in materials and construction.

For the $$, the Chinese repros compare very well in pattern and looks. Both Bronson and Bob Dong have also improved their knits with wool-blends over the 100% synthetic used in previous years, and sport predominantly wool linings.

Last edited:

Grant

Carl, thanks for posting pics of your original Stagg B-10. It sure is a beauty! Do you find it fits larger than the size marked?

Grant

Stitching isn't the only noticeable other difference: what's with the shiny brass colored cheap Talon repro zip? Also, the Dong stamped snaps and the dark colored knits and oxygen tabs look odd. Guess I'm too much of a jacket nerd to settle for a cheap repro with these compromises.

Technonut2112

I read that BD corrected the snaps with this year's version. I have seen improvements from both them, and Bronson with each passing year. Considering that we are discussing differences between other repro jackets running from $550.00-$750.00 + USD, I think that the Chinese are doing well to cater to folks who are budget-conscious, and willing to compromise a bit. Personally, I do find it more difficult to compromise after now owning upper-tier repros, and comparing the differences for myself despite my limited budget, so I can also relate to that point of view.

Carl

Carl, thanks for posting pics of your original Stagg B-10. It sure is a beauty! Do you find it fits larger than the size marked?
Do you know what Grant ! I cant remember now !! I'll have to have a quick try on tomorrow !

LimajrP-51

Good afternoon gentlemen.
Could someone tell me which
squadron is the "Patch" which is on the jacket.

Best regards

Limajr.'.

JonnyCrow

I imagine it would be quite difficult to source the extremely tight weave found on the originals and upper-tier repros. Very first thing I noticed when comparing the Eastman, Buzz, and most recently "The Few" B-10's I had / have (I moved-along the Eastman) to Bronson and other less expensive Chinese cloth military jacket repros I've owned. More than likely, the expensive offerings were woven from the vintage looms that were snatched-up from the original USA factories and moved to Japan some years back.

The other noticeable difference is in the stitching. The expensive repros have a tighter stitch-count than the Chinese versions. That said, I must say that I'm impressed with how well Bronson followed Buzz's Rough Wear B-10 / B-15 patterns starting with last year's versions.... MUCH better than what they were selling in previous years. If I get some spare time, I may start a thread comparing the differences in materials and construction.

For the $$, the Chinese repros compare very well in pattern and looks. Both Bronson and Bob Dong have also improved their knits with wool-blends over the 100% synthetic used in previous years, and sport predominantly wool linings.
You mention Japan, Japan are also making some of the best Selvedge denim also