• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blackface Avatar

bseal

What was your thought process employing such @Erwin?

When brought to your attention you declined to address it directly, reminded people to stay on the topic of the thread and then inverted your Avatar?!

Yeah, no.

IMG_0355.png

Erwin

Is a converted Al Jolson [whom I really like] picture in my avatar, still an issue? It was not intentional to use this in a not proper way, just a fantastic face mimic of the one and only Al Jolson. Now it is not recognizable - I can convert this more bseal, if this makes you happier.

MauldinFan

Like I wrote elsewhere, a real man would have IM'd Erwin if they really had issues. Public shaming is silly and childish, regardless of the topic. But I have to remind myself that in any online community will always have a few folks who desperately look for things to offend them (and I'd bet real money that nobody making those comments have any African heritage). And when that happens, they MUST make it public.

mulceber

What utter nonsense.

a real man would have IM'd Erwin if they really had issues.
What was posted publicly can be commented upon publicly. Claiming it has to be handled privately to be legitimate criticism is a non sequitur.

Public shaming is silly and childish, regardless of the topic.
Hogwash. Only a person looking to silence public criticism would say something so silly.

in any online community will always have a few folks who desperately look for things to offend them
I don't think showing empathy for how members of the targeted community would feel at seeing that image counts as "looking desperately for things" to find offensive. If you do, that says more about you than about anyone who found fault with the profile picture.

(and I'd bet real money that nobody making those comments have any African heritage).
And who the hell cares? Bigotry is bigotry, whether it's blasted on the air waves or whispered between two people in an empty room in an empty building. The only thing your logic here would accomplish is to set up spaces where racism is deemed ok.

Last edited: