• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Stallion HH?

dmoser1978

I've been looking into getting a new leather jacket to go with my bike. Currently I wear a Triumph "Rivton" jacket that I love. It fits well and has CE armor for the shoulders, elbows, and back.

I've been looking into other options though, and I think I've settled on the Legendary USA "Black Stallion" horsehide, which is a repro of the Buco J23 jacket. Certainly looks funky anyway.

Anyone have experience with these jackets?

http://www.legendaryusa.com/Legendary_B ... p/2400.htm

dmoser1978

That Eastman looks great. Do they offer that on the Web, or do I have to call and order?

I'm in the States now, and it's not listed on HPA website, at least not that I've seen.

injunjack

I have a Legendary Black Horse.
The quality is good, the jacket has broken in nicely, and is a real motorcycle jacket.
At first the jacket was very stiff, now it's soft but not "floppy".
The leather is quite shiny still after 2½ years continuous use. At some points the tanning/surface has srubbed away, but that's obvious when jacket is used as much as I use mine. (everyday)
The belt that came with my jacket was ridiculously soft. I replaced that immediatelly with basket weave duty belt.

Dunno anything about Eastmans, but in my opinion Legendary jackets are worth the money.

one note though, I spoke with Schott customer service about the sizing (Schott makes these jackets), because I couldn't choose between 42 an 44, and I'm in Europe, so returning for change would have been a hassle. I was told I should take 44 which I did. The jacket is a bit too roomy for my taste, also due to more modern cut, even the jacket looks pretty vintage. If I'd be doing business now, I'd take 42.
I'd be happy to swap my jacket to size smaller if somebody has bought 42 and it's too small for you.

Jack

Tommer45

Dmoser, I don't have experience with that particular jacket (although I have been eyeing the brown version of the Black Stallion Legendary sells), but I do own a Schott HH jacket with the quilted lining. In my opinion the quilted lining makes the jacket feel too puffy and definitely too warm for spring/summer riding. And I've owned Schott cowhide that I've liked much better than their horse. The Black Stallion is definitely a cool looking jacket but my first move after buying one would be to cut out the lining, remove the felt fuseable Schott affixes to their HH to give it a sturdier feel, and have it relined.

Tommer

injunjack

I have to agree and disagree with Tommer.

The quilted lining might be too warm for summer. My jacket has removable lining and it's very warm with it. I also made faux fur collar for winter use.

These jackets do have that felt in them that Tommer is speaking about, I just checked that from my jacket. (it had developed a small abrasion hole due to my keyring in my belt) But I have to disagree that it's necessary to remove it. My jacket is now so soft and pliable that if I removed the felt I believe that jacket could feel flimsy. But everybodys got their preferences.

Anyway, at the moment I'm craving for a Langlitz Clolumbia. Anybody know how they are priced today?

Jack

dmoser1978

injunjack said:
I have a Legendary Black Horse.
The quality is good, the jacket has broken in nicely, and is a real motorcycle jacket.
At first the jacket was very stiff, now it's soft but not "floppy".
The leather is quite shiny still after 2½ years continuous use. At some points the tanning/surface has srubbed away, but that's obvious when jacket is used as much as I use mine. (everyday)
The belt that came with my jacket was ridiculously soft. I replaced that immediatelly with basket weave duty belt.

Dunno anything about Eastmans, but in my opinion Legendary jackets are worth the money.

one note though, I spoke with Schott customer service about the sizing (Schott makes these jackets), because I couldn't choose between 42 an 44, and I'm in Europe, so returning for change would have been a hassle. I was told I should take 44 which I did. The jacket is a bit too roomy for my taste, also due to more modern cut, even the jacket looks pretty vintage. If I'd be doing business now, I'd take 42.
I'd be happy to swap my jacket to size smaller if somebody has bought 42 and it's too small for you.

Jack

Do you normally fit a 44 or a 42? I've tried Schott's 118 in a 40R and it fit quite nicely. I definitely want a slimmer fit for riding though. Would you say it's similar to the 118?

I found an new old stock Perfecto on E-bay for a decent price, but I'm not at home right now, so it'll be about a week before I can try it on.

injunjack

I dunno exactly, as I'm european, sizes are a bit different. My chest is 43,5" and I'm quite broadshouldered, but shortlegged, only 171cm.

I had Branded leathers CHP jacket in 40 and it felt too tight, sold it immediatelly to my friend. Now that I have lost about 5kg's I tried it on after almost 2 years, it was pretty good, probably a bit snug.
I haven't had experience on 118's, but did once try Schotts cafe racer with stripes. Being size 40, it was amazingly roomy.

For looser fit I'd say 44, for tighter fit that I have started to like, I'd take 42 on Black Horse.

HTH
Jack

dmoser1978

Called Legendary USA, the Black Stallion is out of stock till November 15, so I've got till then before I can order one.

I'm thinking of ordering a brown one just to see how it fits.

Tommer45

So I can't seem to get the Legendary Wild Stallion out of my head (it's the brown HH version of the Black Stallion). I emailed Legendary with some questions and it turns out that the current inventory of the Wild Stallion DOES NOT have the felt fusing that Schott affixes to their horsehide. They said they have been requesting Schott leave it off. They also mentioned something about Schott working much more closely with the Italian tannery they use and the HH they use will be much more uniform and not in so much need of the "extra body" the felt gives it. Legendary said their next run of the Black Stallion, which will arrive in mid-Nov, will also NOT have the felt. Here is their exact quote:

"Thanks for the email. Just to clarify, the current Wild Stallion does NOT have fusing, and the skins measure 3.75 oz, or 1.5 mm. The next Black Stallion production, which will arrive in mid November, will NOT have fusing. The current lot of Black Horse jackets DOES have fusing. Our new Thoroughbred jacket, delayed until early 2010 due to shortage of horsehide skins, will NOT have fusing."

"Once we realized this was an issue, we instructed Schott to not use fusing in any of our horsehide jackets. In looking back at previous production, we found the Beck jacket production did not have it, neither did the first few production runs of Black Stallion in 2003-2006. I believe Schott is working more closely with the Italian tannery to get more consistent weight skins which will not need the extra body that fusing provides."

So back to the drawing board for me... Wild Stallion or King of the Road? Hmmm....

Tommer

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tommer45 said:
... Wild Stallion or King of the Road? Hmmm....

That's good news ... you wonder whether forums like this contribute to the maker's awareness of these issues.

Tommer45

deeb7 said:
Tommer45 said:
... Wild Stallion or King of the Road? Hmmm....

That's good news ... you wonder whether forums like this contribute to the maker's awareness of these issues.

Actually you know what, I just called and spoke to Herman at Legendary (super nice and knowledgeable guy) with some questions about the Wild Stallion. I mentioned my 641HH and the felt issue, and he said he read my posts about it on the Fedora Lounge and also said he didn't realize the felt was such an issue with some customers. So I'm not saying it was my posts that made him aware of the felt (since they now ask for the HH without it) but yes it appears some makers do become aware of such issues via these forums. Herman also said that for the Black & Wild Stallions they had Schott change the zippers on the sleeve from Lenzip (which they were having problems with) to Ideal (which they say are much stronger. So it's nice to know that Legendary gives input to Schott and makes certain requests pertaining to their jackets rather than just sell any old jacket Schott sends them.

Tommer

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tommer45 said:
... So I'm not saying it was my posts that made him aware of the felt (since they now ask for the HH without it) but yes it appears some makers do become aware of such issues via these forums.

That's good to know ... see, we are all performing a public service. :)

I can't imagine the stockpile of crap that would be in my closets, if I wasn't able to read the forums.

Tommer45

Awesome. Definitely post some pics. I am very happy with my Wild Stallion. One of the rear pocket zippers was installed a little sloppy but otherwise it's a quality jacket and after a couple weeks of scrunching up the leather while watching tv it's really softened up and is very comfortable. You should be happy with it.

Tommer

I just ordered the Legendary Black Horsehide Motorcycle Jacket to replace my jacket that I was wearing when I went down a few weeks ago. I replaced my motorcycle last Thursday with a new 2010 Harley Davidson Electraglide Ultra Limited. :D

Image1.jpg

injunjack

let me hear opinions on the Black Horse Jacket. I'd like to know if we're thinking alike. What size did you order?

Jack
ps. imo, the belt needs to be replaced with proper duty belt.