• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BK's new goatskin USN jackets

Brettafett

I mean, each of the top G-1/ M-42a2 repros are £1000/ $1250+... ELC, BK and BR.
Finding a decent original is becoming trickier, add postage and then if it needs work $$$£££.

Platon's Dubow is still a damn good buy if you can get hold of him and the jacket fits.

BK's A-2s still at a 'reasonable' £770, but how long?

B-Man2

I mean, each of the top G-1/ M-42a2 repros are £1000/ $1250+... ELC, BK and BR.
Finding a decent original is becoming trickier, add postage and then if it needs work $$$£££.

Platon's Dubow is still a damn good buy if you can get hold of him and the jacket fits.

BK's A-2s still at a 'reasonable' £770, but how long?
Unless someone has actually committed to having an original jacket restored , they will have NO IDEA of the financial expense of having that done. It’s a three fold cost .
The price of the jacket , the price of the materials and the cost of the labor for having it done . I can tell you from personal experience, once the work is finished the cost of the restoration far outweighs the value of the jacket. However.... you will have a mint original that will be with you for the remainder of your days.

adfrost

Brett, if you're a sz 38 - 42 in USN jackets, I agree it's a better to revamp an original rather than lay out the dough for a reproduction - specially with the talented restorers on the forum.

Anyone you'd recommend for mouton collar replacement?

I took a look at G-1s and M422s on Yahoo. Not much in larger sizes. I swear the prices of good originals have skyrocketed. You could buy two original G-1s for the price of a repro A-2.... Not any more....

Seriously. Size 46/48, in good condition, for decent price is hard. 44 and below is a lot more plentiful.

Brettafett

B-Man2... Absolutely 100%

Adfrost - I don't know any specific sources, but I'd look an Ebay for a vintage Beaver fur coat and then chop it up.
Or, contact Five Star... The mouton on my AVI G-1 is very nice actually, Im sure Fivestar use the same. Perhaps Shawn will send you some.

Skip

I’d have to say that jacket is a couple of notches higher than the old versions. And the moton looks vintage, unlike what they used to have.

Replacing a mouton on a navy jacket is like playing Russian roulette. It all depends how good the leather is to take the resowing and how good the tailor/seamstress is in putting the new one in. I’ve had it done a few times and the only person I would trust with it Dave Sheeley. He manually hand sows it in and repairs any leather damage he sees. Others I’ve had do it it just doesn’t sit right as a collar

And it’s costly. Years ago I bought a few basket cases on the cheap, my size. Found the mouton, organised lining and knits and got RMNZ to put it all together. they cost the same and a half again to refit. Unless you have a personal attachment, or it’s rare, get a repro m422 they cheaper. By the time you wear it to death in a year, With the right hide it should look the same anyway