• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BK proudly presents "The Aeronaut"

A

Anonymous

Here's a sneak peak from the making of our flagship jacket.
It was just now completed, so very fresh.

P7080647.jpg

P7090649.jpg

P7090650.jpg

P7090651.jpg

P7090652.jpg

shown in Victory Horse seal brown.

3D presentation coming soon.

A

Anonymous

This has nothing to do with Aero Scotland. The name came to me when I landed in Italy looking for horsehide. There was a shop there in the airport, of an Italian brand named Aeronautica Militare. This is their website http://www.aeronauticaofficialstore.com/

I knew right then that BK had to make a jacket of this style. And of course "aeronaut" is a Greek word.
Other than that the jacket is a copy of an original design. We made everything the same except that we added a throat latch because a friend was asking for it. But the latch is optional and BK will not install it for those who wish the jacket to remain true to the original design.

Dr H

John Lever said:
With that name and that design you are crossing Aero's bow's. Nice jacket though.

I'm not so sure John.
The design is a traditional one as we know. To go down that route, a whole host of modern manufacturers, Aero included, are offering jackets inspired by the 20s/30s sports jacket. As far as I know there's currently only a pre-production Aeromarine owned by my esteemed friend minorminor, so if anybody has to have their nose out of joint over priority, Himel Bros or LVC might have first dibs?
Similarly, IMHO one has to differentiate between Aero Leather and Aero as a general prefix for aviation related gear - where do you draw the line? Isn't Aeromarine an homage to a 30's seaplane, or am I mistaken there? Perhaps an Aerophile can educate me...

Jeff M

Guess I don't have the imagination others do.
I can't comment on if the jacket is "gorgeous", "beautiful" or the company is "firing on all cylinders" based on some photos of an unassembled jacket.

I generally like the "cossack" design as I've seen it interpreted by others.
If it works out for BK, it will be nice to have some more folks offering it.

John Lever

I still can't understand why it has taken so long for this design to become popular. I tried over a decade ago now to get them made but there was just no interest. Now every body is making them.
My input would be to stay away from thick leather. I would assume that in the 1930's horses were used as draught animals and would not generally be slaughtered for their skins so other probably cheaper materials might have been used such as steer hide or Nappa. The thinner softer skins do drape better IMO.

omarco

it looks promising but I'm not convinced with the pointy pockets, I prefer the rounded pocket design of the himel to be honest. I think aero did the same with their aeromarine didnt they? a mistake imho. how have you done the cuffs? the goodwear Ventura has fantastic cuffs... I'm betting minor details can be adjusted?

Dr H

John Lever said:
I still can't understand why it has taken so long for this design to become popular. I tried over a decade ago now to get them made but there was just no interest. Now every body is making them.
My input would be to stay away from thick leather. I would assume that in the 1930's horses were used as draught animals and would not generally be slaughtered for their skins so other probably cheaper materials might have been used such as steer hide or Nappa. The thinner softer skins do drape better IMO.

I can't understand it either, John as it's such a simple, attractive design.
Looking through the older threads recently I was struck by the GW Doniger A-2 'fashion' that blew up around the time the first couple of originals were aired in 2008 - they were hot for a while (similarly the SAT, although this didn't appear to translate into many sales).
I agree with your assessment of the drape - like the A-1, these are a form fitting and worn close to the natural shoulder line. The supple goatskin of the LVC Menlo is perhaps the best that I've worn for this style, but thicker hides (like the one used for the Aeromarine) work less well in my view.

Dr H

omarco said:
it looks promising but I'm not convinced with the pointy pockets, I prefer the rounded pocket design of the himel to be honest. I think aero did the same with their aeromarine didnt they? a mistake imho. how have you done the cuffs? the goodwear Ventura has fantastic cuffs... I'm betting minor details can be adjusted?

I know what you mean Marco, the shape of the pockets is like Marmite (they're more exaggerated still on the Menlo Cossack with spade like proportions), but this is something that I really like as they're so idiosyncratic.

I'm sure that you're right though - the pocket shape/placement would be a minor detail to alter (as the sage MM once preached on the FL :roll: ).

A

Anonymous

John,
When we thought about making it, there was only Himel's. It was before Aero made theirs.
Development of this jacket too many months so others pulled theirs out first.
But for BK sourcing of the right materials, designing the pattern, designing and making the labels etc took time. Some people who followed this know what I am talking about. Aero looks in the drawer, see what materials they have and they make a jacket overnight. BK looked for months for the right button and in the end after not having found it, custom made it at a factory in Panama the only one left that uses vegetable ivory to make the buttons. We made several fish-eye buttons so there will be a selection.

But I don't blame them, they are in the business of making jackets, we 're in the business of making accurate reproductions.

A

Anonymous

The reason for the pointy pockets is because we copied this (and not Aero's). Notice the label.

hnlb055.jpg

Anyway, BK already has patterns for the pockets below, so everyone will be served.

3_POCKETS.jpg

omarco

I'm impressed. top of my list at the moment, its too hot to think about jackets right now but come the autumn that's the one I'm interested in. What options do you have for the lining?