• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BK proudly presents "The Aeronaut"

ausreenactor

ButteMT61 said:
I myself couldn't care less about the legal mumbo jumbo with the makers.
I too look at pics and think that these guys might be making killer jackets. But I see people waiting and new models or partial models roled out and think "customers aren't important".
There's only so much fawning one can do over pics and stories. Lets see customers with jackets. I know a couple here and elsewhere waiting.
If BK could make what I've seen here and deliver, they'd be a force in the world of hides. As it stands, it's mostly smoke and mirrors and odd testimonials from afar.

If you want to see the jackets as they roll off the production line check the Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/billkelsomfg?fref=ts

Skip has posted a few reviews. Hit him up about his jackets. Chase the info you want. I think less people are inclined to put stuff up as it all turns into a BK bash session. Waiting in line and watching new models pop up is the norm for more than just BK? I think the delays are just with certain hides. And VLJ is a speck in the ocean compared to Fedora Lounge and world wide web.

Couchy

ButteMT61

A jacket here and there or bits of jackets in progress does not equate into a viable assembly line with happy customers at the end.
We're questioning a business, not a poster on VLJ/TFL.
Lots of money is at stake to just trust it will get made and delivered. Jeff's still waiting on one jacket. That indicates issues to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it.
If I could be confident in the above, I'd be in line for a blue jacket with a few others. I'm not yet there.

ausreenactor

ButteMT61 said:
Jeff's still waiting on one jacket. That indicates issues to me.

That would be one issue. I am sure Jeff is a big boy who could have requested a refund, a revised build spec or anything else in the interim. Perhaps he is just patient. Like me. Five and half years waiting on Jerome and my ELC Air Comfort. Not every satisfied customer of every reproduction jacket maker stops by here. As I said, take a look at the Facebook page. That is the face of the Company. Like you state, 'we' are questioning a business, in something akin to a gossip page. If we are not paying out on the way jackets are announced, the names of jackets, the ELC VAT debate or 'unethical' claims to 'Official Supplier' or petty issues like these the place is pretty darn quiet these days.

I think the shift to the Civilian jacket market is a big sign from Alexander Leathers and Bill Kelso. Perhaps that is where the money is? Perhaps the days of the A-2 repro are sliding right into the age bracket of older aviation collectors and retirees wanting the finer things in life. There will always be a crowd tied into the reenactor & collector scene; however, the number of individuals with the financial resources to splurge on a high end repro A-2 may be on the decline. Whereas fashion items... will always be 'fashionable'. There are a few civilian designs from Diamond Dave, Good Wear, NorShor and Bill Kelso that will keep them all very busy for a while...

Couchy

Jeff M

ausreenactor said:
ButteMT61 said:

That would be one issue. I am sure Jeff is a big boy who could have requested a refund, a revised build spec or anything else in the interim. Perhaps he is just patient. .....
Couchy

Indeed I am. Patience I am told has it's virtues.

ausreenactor

Jeff M said:
ausreenactor said:
ButteMT61 said:

That would be one issue. I am sure Jeff is a big boy who could have requested a refund, a revised build spec or anything else in the interim. Perhaps he is just patient. .....
Couchy

Indeed I am. Patience I am told has it's virtues.

Virtues? Man, I thought it was virgins? I was WAY off... :(

Couchy

Skip

Here's an odd testimonial from afar, a fair dinkum one at that.

I have 2 BK jackets (1 on the way), and can vouch for their quality (bare in mind they're all Victory HH), but the build materials and tailoring are excellent. There are better here than me who have an eye for detail on makers and such, but what I see and read in the posts, and now experiencing the real deal, the attention to detail is up their at the top end of repros and jacket making IMO. Are they worth the money, well that's subjective, but for me yes. Would I buy again, 100% yes.

As for delivery time: the Two A2's were ordered at the beginning of the year, and one custom ANJ two months ago. First ordered was the Arco, Andy advised it was a two month wait for the dark seal, ended up getting it in early June. The 2nd order was the Werber, ordered a month after the Arco, as Platon advised a 10% discount on a new tanning order (Victory antique) and it was available ready to make. Received the Werber within a month of the order. Received the Arco later, a good 4 months later, as the dark seal hides weren't in at the time of ordering. The ANJ Was discussed with Andy regarding the details, order put in June and it's now in transit. The issue seems to be BK acquiring the hides, or enough of them for a small enterprise to complete a rather large number of orders (or so I'm assuming). Until they get a stockpile of hides and materials, they're at the mercy of the tannery/suppliers. And of course all this requires mullah, and everyone knows how the Euro is at present. So for a small enterprise it must be quite difficult.

It's not as if Platon or Andy hasn't been keeping the 'general public' here up to date on whats going on ie difficulties with tannery, orders etc. and no I'm not on their payroll. Other posts state their have been issues with some people here, hopefully being/been addressed. Communication and patience goes a long way for buyer and seller, something in which we don't see here unless the parties openly post about it. Just give 'em a bit of a go, I've never had any issues with their customer service or their product.

On a side note the Arco will be posted as will the ANJ, just waiting for a new job and family issues to settle somewhat.

Andreart

ausreenactor said:
ButteMT61 said:

That would be one issue. I am sure Jeff is a big boy who could have requested a refund, a revised build spec or anything else in the interim. Perhaps he is just patient. Like me. Five and half years waiting on Jerome and my ELC Air Comfort. Not every satisfied customer of every reproduction jacket maker stops by here. As I said, take a look at the Facebook page. That is the face of the Company. Like you state, 'we' are questioning a business, in something akin to a gossip page. If we are not paying out on the way jackets are announced, the names of jackets, the ELC VAT debate or 'unethical' claims to 'Official Supplier' or petty issues like these the place is pretty darn quiet these days.

I think the shift to the Civilian jacket market is a big sign from Alexander Leathers and Bill Kelso. Perhaps that is where the money is? Perhaps the days of the A-2 repro are sliding right into the age bracket of older aviation collectors and retirees wanting the finer things in life. There will always be a crowd tied into the reenactor & collector scene; however, the number of individuals with the financial resources to splurge on a high end repro A-2 may be on the decline. Whereas fashion items... will always be 'fashionable'. There are a few civilian designs from Diamond Dave, Good Wear, NorShor and Bill Kelso that will keep them all very busy for a while...

Couchy

well said, your right on the mark i think.

Dr H

Skip said:
Here's an odd testimonial from afar, a fair dinkum one at that.

I have 2 BK jackets (1 on the way), and can vouch for their quality (bare in mind they're all Victory HH), but the build materials and tailoring are excellent. There are better here than me who have an eye for detail on makers and such, but what I see and read in the posts, and now experiencing the real deal, the attention to detail is up their at the top end of repros and jacket making IMO. Are they worth the money, well that's subjective, but for me yes. Would I buy again, 100% yes.

As for delivery time: the Two A2's were ordered at the beginning of the year, and one custom ANJ two months ago. First ordered was the Arco, Andy advised it was a two month wait for the dark seal, ended up getting it in early June. The 2nd order was the Werber, ordered a month after the Arco, as Platon advised a 10% discount on a new tanning order (Victory antique) and it was available ready to make. Received the Werber within a month of the order. Received the Arco later, a good 4 months later, as the dark seal hides weren't in at the time of ordering. The ANJ Was discussed with Andy regarding the details, order put in June and it's now in transit. The issue seems to be BK acquiring the hides, or enough of them for a small enterprise to complete a rather large number of orders (or so I'm assuming). Until they get a stockpile of hides and materials, they're at the mercy of the tannery/suppliers. And of course all this requires mullah, and everyone knows how the Euro is at present. So for a small enterprise it must be quite difficult.

It's not as if Platon or Andy hasn't been keeping the 'general public' here up to date on whats going on ie difficulties with tannery, orders etc. and no I'm not on their payroll. Other posts state their have been issues with some people here, hopefully being/been addressed. Communication and patience goes a long way for buyer and seller, something in which we don't see here unless the parties openly post about it. Just give 'em a bit of a go, I've never had any issues with their customer service or their product.

On a side note the Arco will be posted as will the ANJ, just waiting for a new job and family issues to settle somewhat.

Fair appraisal Matt. Wouldn't do any harm to repost at the hat boutique, if you visit.

unclegrumpy

ButteMT61 said:
If BK could make what I've seen here and deliver, they'd be a force in the world of hides
I think this is Butte's key point, and I don't think it is a slam. I too find it a bit perplexing, that the number of jacket offerings seem to be expanding faster than the actual jackets of any type that are in customers hands.

At a certain point, all that matters is seeing something yourself, and being able to make your own comparisons. I have always thought rather than ever expanding the choices, it would make more sense for BK to pick his best jacket model, and then make 25 or 50 of them.

If introduced with his normal fanfare, but with zero wait time, I think that would make a big difference. Especially if he did that a couple of times with several different jacket styles.

Regardless of what he chooses to do, there is no substitution for actually getting product into the market place. Right now, he has a numbers problem....not in the breadth of choices, but rather the bottom line total quantity of jackets of any type that are out there for his potential customers to physically see.

A bit of this is simply a time issue, which will tend to solve itself if he is still around in 20 years like GW, 30 years like Eastman, or 40 years like Aero. I wish him nothing but luck, and the smoothest journey possible.

ButteMT61

100% bang on. It's not a slam. Rather a retort to recent inquiries on TFL and the spontaneous hookahs for BK from people that I don't even believe own one or have one.
I don't think it serves people well to cheerlead for BK if they can't get me a jacket on time, in the hide I want (ordered) and is satisfying.
For my $1k++, I want no drama. I'm merely leveling the opinions here and on TFL.
Show me the jackets. Show me the customers in jackets. I'm not going to go do some Internet search in an attempt to see this.
Look at the smaller guys who post here with their actual jackets. I've seen more product from them than BK. I'd give Mark or Dave money knowing I'd get a jacket. I already know Good Wear and Aero are solid and reliable.

stanier

Vcruiser said:
What happened to the 'free BK jacket' that was supposed to be awarded months ago? I've not seen any review.

I was the lucky winner of that jacket and BK tell me it should be with me during July.

The delay has been entirely down to me being very busy with work and taking time to choose a jacket contract and confirming sizing. The good folks at BK have been a joy to work with and far more patient with me than I have a right to expect. I've gone for the Arco / Aero in dark seal VH with red knits and mustard lining, and I've opted to have a WWII Talon fitted and some patches that I had A2jacketpatches do for me at the end of last year.

Can't wait to get it and do the review!

Jeff M

As I understand it, the actual amount of time necessary for one experienced person to put together an A2 is on the order of a day and a half. Once you or I put our order in, our jacket could theoretically be produced in a few days. Assuming they have the material.
If busy producing orders, there will be a commensurate waiting period as you wait in the que. A long one, like with GW, a medium sized one like with Aero, SFA and Diamond Dave..(on the order of 4 to 8 weeks from recent experience with these companies.)
I get the impression BK is not backlogged with orders.
From my experiences, their delays seem to be associated with difficulties obtaining material/leather, and/or focusing priority to those orders on hand.

John Lever

Jeff M said:
As I understand it, the actual amount of time necessary for one experienced person to put together an A2 is on the order of a day and a half. Once you or I put our order in, our jacket could theoretically be produced in a few days. Assuming they have the material.
If busy producing orders, there will be a commensurate waiting period as you wait in the que. A long one, like with GW, a medium sized one like with Aero, SFA and Diamond Dave..(on the order of 4 to 8 weeks from recent experience with these companies.)
I get the impression BK is not backlogged with orders.
From my experiences, their delays seem to be associated with difficulties obtaining material/leather, and/or focusing priority to those orders on hand.
I have been told that one of the machinists at Aero has made over 12000 jackets... It takes a few hours for each one.

Jeff M

John Lever said:
I have been told that one of the machinists at Aero has made over 12000 jackets... It takes a few hours for each one.

Sounds plausible.
Compared to other leather jacket designs, I understand the A2 is not considered a difficult leather jacket to make.

Jeff M

stanier said:
Vcruiser said:
What happened to the 'free BK jacket' that was supposed to be awarded months ago? I've not seen any review.

I was the lucky winner of that jacket and BK tell me it should be with me during July.

Lucky fellow. You asked for it to be made out of the "Dark Seal" VIctory hide?

stanier

Jeff M said:
stanier said:
Vcruiser said:

Lucky fellow. You asked for it to be made out of the "Dark Seal" VIctory hide?

Yes, dark seal Victory Horse.

Jeff M

stanier said:

You may want to double check with Platon.
I was expecting my Dark Seal VH A2 earlier this month....was informed a couple of weeks ago they no longer had the hide in shop and were expecting the next shipment in September.

Vcruiser

Jeff M said:
stanier said:

You may want to double check with Platon.
I was expecting my Dark Seal VH A2 earlier this month....was informed a couple of weeks ago they no longer had the hide in shop and were expecting the next shipment in September.

Jeeze..that has been an ongoing problem with BK. Can't do good business like that. :?

Jeff M

Vcruiser said:

Jeeze..that has been an ongoing problem with BK. Can't do good business like that. :?

I've been "chasing" their "Seal Brown vs. Dark Seal" VH these past few months, spec'ing whatever it looked like they have available at that time.
Months ago I originally asking for "seal brown" VH, asked for it again when they posted a thread here showing their new shipment....got leather samples of what they had on hand in the meantime....told them to go ahead with the "Dark Seal" VH....that then ended up not being available.....
With this last set back I thought I'd try to get ahead of the game, and told them to use whichever of these hides they end up getting in.
Keeping my fingers crossed this time.