• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BK proudly presents The A-1 jacket

A

Anonymous

We see mostly posts from two BK employees so obviously, we want customer reviews, pictures, etc.
We see Jeff waiting and waiting with promises, while BK roll out a new line/hide/name/samples.
We read posts of how stupid "we" are and how bad other makers are.
So yeah Couchy, I'll take the pessimistic side of things if you don't mind. And you are free to cheerlead for them all you like. I read it all 'cause the humor is priceless

Et tu, Brute?

And you're different from other makers how???

I have answers for all questions, but when I talk I am told I talk too much (over advertising) while it is thought better to leave the customers express their opinions.

I can write you an email with the reply if you care, so that you get the information without me 'harassing' the other members.

In any case, BK's jackets use great materials, have excellent construction and details and perfect fit. You can see the fit of the jackets on the tailor doll on BK website. If we can fit the tailor doll, we can fit anybody, while some makers can't even fit their tailor doll (I can make a pictorial of that if you want).

Jeff's satisfaction is guaranteed as is yours if you order the blue A-1. Our jackets are better than what photos can show. Guaranteed!

With ref to the critics, criticism is more than welcome, but let's limit it to the jackets. If you like me and my post or not, is irrelevant whether the jacket is good or not.

Jeff M

Back to the jackets...and referencing;

ausreenactor said:
TOMG1401 said:
this BK free non-stop incessant, relentless advertising, product plugging garbage is unlike anything I've seen in 13 years on these Forums, I just looked at the Repo manufacturers section and cannot believe this is going on unchecked. They don't need to pay for a website, this is it!! ENOUGH, it's insulting.

This post was in long before the 'Reproduction Manufacturers' section was started. If the mods moved this post there the issue should not anger anyone in theory. Lots of jackets from BK are popping up here and on the Fedora Lounge courtesy of buyers/owners. If it appeases you will I will refrain from posting the pics of my completed A-2? :? I am sure that I can get everyone to PM me if they are keen to see it instead?

And you have inadvertently bought the post to the top of the list again...

This is why I went with BK....

Which, oddly enough, is the subject of the thread..

I generally don't find close up photos of leather tell me very much about how well a jacket is made. Just shows me what the leather surface and color looks like..says nothing about the hand of the leather, weight, texture.

Re; quality of construction....close up photos of areas of stitch work, like pockets and epaulettes are very helpful, followed by shots of the jacket worn (to include hands and torso to end of sleeves/torso) appreciated.

ie;
DSCF1110_zpsf80b487e.jpg

Even then, nothing really can replace getting a jacket in your hands.

ButteMT61

PLATON: I am still waiting for an "almost black" blue. And I really want to use cowhide if possible.
Is there such beast in your stable?

buzzthetower

Administrator
ausreenactor said:
And many here would love to see JC posting more regularly. As a walking, talking reference library the value of input to queries from new forum members and old 'veterans' alike would be immeasurable. Sadly it is... Not too many posts over the five years of this iteration of the forum.

What is the preference? To have LOTS of input from a jacket maker keen to attract our business OR to have the bare minimum? I know where my money and preferences go. Every time! Fine for someone just down the road, but for someone paying international shipping on both choices? In ANY line of work. Too much information is better than none at all.

Couchy - I have seen on several occasions you post that you are dissatisfied with my lack of attention to the forum. I don't post here very often for a reason, if not many reasons, and here they are...

1. when I do post something here, I often get a number of customers who ask me why I have time to post on a forum, but the jackets take over a year to be delivered. How is my order coming along? I see you have time to post on that forum. This situation has spilled over to Facebook. People friend me, and then when I post photos of a family dinner or outing, I'm asked how their order is coming along. I have over 120 jackets on order, and not a single person among them wants to wait any longer for their jackets.

2. I have a wife and son, and already feel guilty enough that I spend so much time at the sewing machine - I work seven days a week, though I certainly make time for my family in the evenings and as much on the weekends as I can. But it feels like it's never enough.

3. every time I post a little factoid, I get more questions about the thing I tried to post. "If the contract was from 1944, then can you tell me when the three WWII jackets that I just bought were made? Where they small contracts? Were they all done in one factory, or did the company have several factories? Is that veg-tanned leather or chrome tanned? Do you think I would like the fit of this original on eBay in size 42, or would it look odd on me?" Then, if I cannot answer all questions in a timely and complete manner, I come across as a jerk. So it's better not to stick my head in that business. I will answer some things via PM, as I can at least keep the conversations short, but conversations get to be too big and too wide if I stick my head back into open discussions.

4. I'm the guy sewing the jackets. If I don't sew, I don't make money. If I don't make money, we don't eat. (Nope, I'm not getting rich doing this.) I cannot talk with people on a forum and sew at the same time. Yes, I tried hiring two people to help me sew last year, and both of them didn't have the technical ambition that it takes to make jackets the way I want them to, so both were let go. I may get more help at some point, but it's a huge drain on attention and energy to hire someone, and I'm not strong enough for that right now. I'm much better off sewing by myself, and having Vickie be the sales director. It's much different when you are the sales person with a job of promoting your product, but not making it, versus trying to make the product. Vickie doesn't know enough about the history, and I don't have the time to give her all my info for discussions on the forum. We are both sitting on plenty of work.

I was telling Vickie this morning about my desire to post this on the forum, and you know what she said? "You don't have time to do that." I'm a bad person, I know.

If you think any of this is not true, I'd be glad to give you my wife's email address, and you can ask her. Or my friends, whom note that I generally ignore them, at least much more than I want. I wish I was a better friend to people I've known for years.

You may think this forum is a place for GW to fight with Eastman, Bill Kelso, and others, but that is a nieve view of life. I know Platon, and we have both helped each other. And you can ask Mark Fisher or David Howell if I have had any impact on their operations. I want to see many jacket makers do really well. If Eastman had a bad year, do you think I would be a little paranoid, too? If he's doing well, I probably will be OK, too. If Real McCoys went under, don't you think I would be a bit scared, too? I do not moderate on this forum against BK, or any other maker. In fact, I've even PM'ed a few people to help them with others' jackets, not mine.

Couchy, in many ways I will never live up to your expectations, and I'm OK with that. Life is too short and limited to try to make everyone happy. I pick my battles, and there you will find me.

All the best,
John

ButteMT61

And that (^^^) my friends, is why the line is long and the jackets are that good.
And why my money goes without thought to such an admirable gentleman.

CBI

Hello John - Hang in there and keep making those superb jackets. Sorry you felt the need to respond at all but I know these forums get pretty ridiculous sometimes. The lack of accountability can make these really toxic sometimes.

Have a great holiday!

J

ausreenactor

buzzthetower said:
ausreenactor said:
And many here would love to see JC posting more regularly. As a walking, talking reference library the value of input to queries from new forum members and old 'veterans' alike would be immeasurable. Sadly it is... Not too many posts over the five years of this iteration of the forum.

What is the preference? To have LOTS of input from a jacket maker keen to attract our business OR to have the bare minimum? I know where my money and preferences go. Every time! Fine for someone just down the road, but for someone paying international shipping on both choices? In ANY line of work. Too much information is better than none at all.

Couchy - I have seen on several occasions you post that you are dissatisfied with my lack of attention to the forum. I don't post here very often for a reason, if not many reasons, and here they are...

1. when I do post something here, I often get a number of customers who ask me why I have time to post on a forum, but the jackets take over a year to be delivered. How is my order coming along? I see you have time to post on that forum. This situation has spilled over to Facebook. People friend me, and then when I post photos of a family dinner or outing, I'm asked how their order is coming along. I have over 120 jackets on order, and not a single person among them wants to wait any longer for their jackets.

2. I have a wife and son, and already feel guilty enough that I spend so much time at the sewing machine - I work seven days a week, though I certainly make time for my family in the evenings and as much on the weekends as I can. But it feels like it's never enough.

3. every time I post a little factoid, I get more questions about the thing I tried to post. "If the contract was from 1944, then can you tell me when the three WWII jackets that I just bought were made? Where they small contracts? Were they all done in one factory, or did the company have several factories? Is that veg-tanned leather or chrome tanned? Do you think I would like the fit of this original on eBay in size 42, or would it look odd on me?" Then, if I cannot answer all questions in a timely and complete manner, I come across as a jerk. So it's better not to stick my head in that business. I will answer some things via PM, as I can at least keep the conversations short, but conversations get to be too big and too wide if I stick my head back into open discussions.

4. I'm the guy sewing the jackets. If I don't sew, I don't make money. If I don't make money, we don't eat. (Nope, I'm not getting rich doing this.) I cannot talk with people on a forum and sew at the same time. Yes, I tried hiring two people to help me sew last year, and both of them didn't have the technical ambition that it takes to make jackets the way I want them to, so both were let go. I may get more help at some point, but it's a huge drain on attention and energy to hire someone, and I'm not strong enough for that right now. I'm much better off sewing by myself, and having Vickie be the sales director. It's much different when you are the sales person with a job of promoting your product, but not making it, versus trying to make the product. Vickie doesn't know enough about the history, and I don't have the time to give her all my info for discussions on the forum. We are both sitting on plenty of work.

I was telling Vickie this morning about my desire to post this on the forum, and you know what she said? "You don't have time to do that." I'm a bad person, I know.

If you think any of this is not true, I'd be glad to give you my wife's email address, and you can ask her. Or my friends, whom note that I generally ignore them, at least much more than I want. I wish I was a better friend to people I've known for years.

You may think this forum is a place for GW to fight with Eastman, Bill Kelso, and others, but that is a nieve view of life. I know Platon, and we have both helped each other. And you can ask Mark Fisher or David Howell if I have had any impact on their operations. I want to see many jacket makers do really well. If Eastman had a bad year, do you think I would be a little paranoid, too? If he's doing well, I probably will be OK, too. If Real McCoys went under, don't you think I would be a bit scared, too? I do not moderate on this forum against BK, or any other maker. In fact, I've even PM'ed a few people to help them with others' jackets, not mine.

Couchy, in many ways I will never live up to your expectations, and I'm OK with that. Life is too short and limited to try to make everyone happy. I pick my battles, and there you will find me.

All the best,
John

John,

I appreciate the position you are in and I acknowledge the work you do. There is no question you are a master at your craft. I do not hold the opinion that it is you that criticises the 'opposition'. I am aware of the guidance you have provided to Mark, David and even Platon in the early days. It is a select group of forum members that have not altered their tone or complaints over the years. And I tend to become the 'independent' going against the crowd of barking dogs when the pack mentality sets in. Of 14000 or so members, there are half a dozen that object to Platon's posts. I feel I am only expressing an opinion, and I do not deal in hypotheticals. While it may appear to attract flak. There are just as many that PM with support of my comments. I respectfully leave their support within the inbox; however, it does confirm that my opinions are shared.

Moderators have a job to do, and the Reproduction Manufacturers section was an outcome that should have rectified the matter.

The intent of my post was not to drag you away from the production line. The question referred to what was the preference for the members/customers as to the level of 'hype' they preferred. Like many here I purchased a jacket based on the pics, posts and updates from Platon. If I were to email Bill Kelso direct I would be dragging them away from the production line too. Andy is pretty passionate about the level of questions about orders that never eventuate. I am sure you feel that pain too.

Couchy

A

Anonymous

Of course all what John says is true. I don't think Couchy meant to accuse John of neglecting the forum, just wondering why he is absent. Not in a bad way I am sure. The response is clear but Couchy or others here would not have a way of knowing all those reasons, because if you don't have the problem you don't think about it.

From my side I tried to participate as much as I could to hear the heartbeat of the market so to respond properly. When I joined this forum few years ago, I knew nothing about jackets, but participating in the making together with Andy and the contact with the tanneries and suppliers was an exciting fast track learning course for me. I witnessed there were many misconceptions and thought to share my knowledge to help others but learnt that sometimes this kind of effort can be misunderstood. There can be others who may have different opinion and if not very open minded that could lead to bitterness and a fight. It happened and I regret it. There was also the need for an effective and quick result producing advertisement method. I understand it was annoying for some. So I suppose it's better for makers to be silent.

From now on, only photos of the new products at the repro makers section and a few clarifications. If time permits will talk (because have friends here) but not about BK matters.

Smithy

buzzthetower said:

Thanks and good on you for posting that sentiment John. It would be nice if everybody here (and also over at TFL) took this idea and attitude onboard themselves.

Hope you've got some time coming up away from the sewing machine over Christmas.

Tim

Jeff M

You can't win John.
Either you use the forum and your position as moderator to promote Good Wear, or you don't post enough and therefore are guilty of....not sure what, but something.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are a class act and your jackets speak for themselves.

leper-colony

I do not mind at all that Platon posts here as himself or rep-ing for BK.

Sometimes a few sentences go a little over the top for me, but whatever, I move on, and it does not bother me.

I appreciate the time he has taken with me to answer questions via PM, calm, patient and willing.

There always seems to be some manufacturer to kick around on the forum, as time passes, and I think the level it can go to sucks.

Nice A-1, Platon, the color looked to be butterscotch (at first) in the photo and thought it was good looking. I think BK can really have a market in civilian jackets. :mrgreen:

ausreenactor

Smithy said:
buzzthetower said:

Thanks and good on you for posting that sentiment John. It would be nice if everybody here (and also over at TFL) took this idea and attitude onboard themselves.

Tim

My point exactly! Thanks Tim!! ;)

ausreenactor

Jeff M said:
You can't win John.

At NO STAGE was it ever about John. A post was dragged up again as someone had a sore point to raise about Platon not sticking to the Reproduction Manufacturers section or boldly making statements about the quality of his jackets. I asked for clarification on a preference for buyers and potential customers. What is the preferred option? Lots of input or minimal input. And when there was a perceived attack on the GW 'brand' a response came from John. I know he is busy. That is his choice and I have no opinion on that. I have never derided GW or the jackets they produce. I have two. They are great jackets. No disputing that. If John felt compelled to respond, I am flattered. I was only highlighting the fact that people here can click on a post or not. If and when they take it to heart that is a perception matter. Nothing I ever post is a personal attack. If the sarcasm icon was made available my intent would be a bit clearer. If the content/opinon of my posts was confined purely to me, and I did not have other forum members supporting what I believe to be the case I would have pulled my head in years ago. Or I would have been shown the door, like some long dead zealots, well before now.

Everyone has their preferences. I recently elected to go down the Bill Kelso path after going down the used Good Wear path....twice. Why wait and pay retail I say? I have potentially put dollars into the coffers of GW, as reward for John's hard work, with both sellers placing their next orders.

Just to reiterate, not about Good Wear.. Just about getting the good oil and making an informed choice!

Vcruiser

Well you've put out a warning to BK customers posting here. Mightily stressed that you are doing business with BK as if all this is somehow taboo here. All exaggerated and simply just not true. What is true is members started noticing that the VLJ was becoming a BK only advertising site with their management controlling the flow of discussion to everything BK. Members awaited the arrival of customer's reviews and new jackets...even wondered and asked many times why they just weren't forthcoming. Some finally decided that there were many vender problems or delays associated with BK...but then plenty of new BK jackets were coming out in the BK arsenal to further advertise scattered throughout the forum. Where ELC..GW..and other jacket companies where brought up...promoted and discussed by excited 'members'..BK inserted itself into any jacket thread on it's own.
Seems that you and supposedly a few of your disgruntled PMer backers are 'all for' the big few repro makers scattering advertising into any discussion and even going so far as to say 'look here..ours is much better than the jackets you are discussing'..!!
I am sure that there have been many behind the scenes PMs discussing that the VLJ was becoming something quite different than what it had been in the past...as well as what direction VLJ wanted to go for the future. It has always mainly been a place where 'members' could discuss various repros and battle over the finer details. Throw jacket company management into the mix and the battles can turn quickly into wars..as past now defunct forums can attest to. Add management advertising in threads throughout and it can often seem much more insulting than an honest opinion offered up from just a normal member who may actually have his own expertise on the matter.
Van

Smithy

FFS can we quit bitching on about bloody makers and just talk about the bloody jackets?

Christ, one minute we're bitching on about BK, the next minute it's AL, the next Aero, etc, etc.

Yes BK got over excited about how they communicated their message - I think Andy has already expressed this over at TFL. There's probably also a language/culture disconnect there as well.

Without getting all bloody kumbaya, we're all here because we like leather flight/jackets so at least we've got something in common.

A

Anonymous

Well you've put out a warning to BK customers posting here. Mightily stressed that you are doing business with BK as if all this is somehow taboo here. All exaggerated and simply just not true. What is true is members started noticing that the VLJ was becoming a BK only advertising site with their management controlling the flow of discussion to everything BK. Members awaited the arrival of customer's reviews and new jackets...even wondered and asked many times why they just weren't forthcoming. Some finally decided that there were many vender problems or delays associated with BK...but then plenty of new BK jackets were coming out in the BK arsenal to further advertise scattered throughout the forum. Where ELC..GW..and other jacket companies where brought up...promoted and discussed by excited 'members'..BK inserted itself into any jacket thread on it's own.
Seems that you and supposedly a few of your disgruntled PMer backers are 'all for' the big few repro makers scattering advertising into any discussion and even going so far as to say 'look here..ours is much better than the jackets you are discussing'..!!
I am sure that there have been many behind the scenes PMs discussing that the VLJ was becoming something quite different than what it had been in the past...as well as what direction VLJ wanted to go for the future. It has always mainly been a place where 'members' could discuss various repros and battle over the finer details. Throw jacket company management into the mix and the battles can turn quickly into wars..as past now defunct forums can attest to. Add management advertising in threads throughout and it can often seem much more insulting than an honest opinion offered up from just a normal member who may actually have his own expertise on the matter.
Van

OK Van we get it, you hate the maker. What about the jackets? Are they any good? What do you think?