BK proudly presents The A-1 jacket

ButteMT61

Well-Known Member
Not my color, but that looks great. Love the grain - it looks like the GW I got from Allen a while back (and moved on).
Very nice jacket.

*Edit. I take it back. The color is really nice, if not (or is it?) historically accurate.
What's the hide?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
the leather is capeskin and the color is russet
not very successfully captured by the camera
I can arrange samples to be sent to you if you care to see it in person
 

ButteMT61

Well-Known Member
PLATON said:
the leather is capeskin and the color is russet
not very successfully captured by the camera
I can arrange samples to be sent to you if you care to see it in person
Very nice. But yeah, it doesn't look russet at all.
Great grain on it. I'm afraid that right now, I can't order any jackets. I'm still reeling from my daughter's wedding and the house re-contstruction from the 2011 storms. That one could be a good replacement for the GW I had to give up. Nice job.
 

sloan1874

New Member
Platon, you should do more of these customer-order pics - particularly on your affiliate thread on the FL. People love, and are more influenced by, 'show' rather than 'tell'.
 

marcvs66

Active Member
Hey, that's my jacket... BK just sent me the tracking info - which hopefully means that this jacket will be in my hands shortly.

I will try to post a full review once I have a chance to take some photographs, etc. I'm not really sure, if this particular jacket really is of interest to the member here, since it doesn't really fall under the category mil. spec jacket (I asked BK to do some custom alterations to their usual (mil. spec) A-1).

My inspiration came from some images of the 'Admiral's A-1' jacket, which I found while doing some research on A-1 jackets via google (there is a thread on the Fedora Lounge that has some nice, larger size photos of the jacket). I assumed, that the Admiral's jacket must have been a private purchase type jacket since it has a good number of details that differ from your basic A-1 jacket (notice: missing tag and no hanger loop, etc.).

The first thing that strangely appealed to me, was the 'varsity' collar. Now - there's nothing wrong w/ the basic A-1 collar, but I owned a GW A-1 jacket before and for some reason, I could never make that collar work for me. The 'varsity' collar is just more simple and dare I say: less fussy?

The other thing that appealed to me was the light color of the Admiral's jacket. It's hard to tell what color the cape-hide started out originally, but, since the snaps on the bottom/waistband are somewhat of a match to the light hide, I concluded that that jacket did not start out dark brown/dark russet (unless the snaps were later painted to match the color of 'bleached-out' hide). Which helped me rationalize having my jacket made in BK's russet cape (I asked them to pick the lightest hide they had in stock).

Maybe I should have gone with the darker brown knits to better match the Admiral's jacket. But I really liked the idea of using the golden brown knits and since the jacket is somewhat of a made-up jacket anyway, I just went with it.

I also asked BK to place the pockets about 1.25" from the seam of the knits. I realize that the pockets on the Admiral's jacket are set MUCH higher, but I chickened out and went w/ a less extreme position. I also went w/ buttons instead of snaps for the waistband - basically just personal preference.

So - while my jacket is a bit of a mongrel, it sure is a nice looking mongrel (Hey, my dog is an Olde English Bulldog - also a bit of a mongrel... but the best damn dog I've ever owned). The cape looks outstanding in the photographs and I am confident that BK did nail the fit on the jacket (just like they did on my BK Arco A-2).
 

ausreenactor

Well-Known Member
marcvs66 said:
Hey, that's my jacket... BK just sent me the tracking info - which hopefully means that this jacket will be in my hands shortly.

I will try to post a full review once I have a chance to take some photographs, etc. I'm not really sure, if this particular jacket really is of interest to the member here, since it doesn't really fall under the category mil. spec jacket (I asked BK to do some custom alterations to their usual (mil. spec) A-1).

My inspiration came from some images of the 'Admiral's A-1' jacket, which I found while doing some research on A-1 jackets via google (there is a thread on the Fedora Lounge that has some nice, larger size photos of the jacket). I assumed, that the Admiral's jacket must have been a private purchase type jacket since it has a good number of details that differ from your basic A-1 jacket (notice: missing tag and no hanger loop, etc.).

The first thing that strangely appealed to me, was the 'varsity' collar. Now - there's nothing wrong w/ the basic A-1 collar, but I owned a GW A-1 jacket before and for some reason, I could never make that collar work for me. The 'varsity' collar is just more simple and dare I say: less fussy?

The other thing that appealed to me was the light color of the Admiral's jacket. It's hard to tell what color the cape-hide started out originally, but, since the snaps on the bottom/waistband are somewhat of a match to the light hide, I concluded that that jacket did not start out dark brown/dark russet (unless the snaps were later painted to match the color of 'bleached-out' hide). Which helped me rationalize having my jacket made in BK's russet cape (I asked them to pick the lightest hide they had in stock).

Maybe I should have gone with the darker brown knits to better match the Admiral's jacket. But I really liked the idea of using the golden brown knits and since the jacket is somewhat of a made-up jacket anyway, I just went with it.

I also asked BK to place the pockets about 1.25" from the seam of the knits. I realize that the pockets on the Admiral's jacket are set MUCH higher, but I chickened out and went w/ a less extreme position. I also went w/ buttons instead of snaps for the waistband - basically just personal preference.

So - while my jacket is a bit of a mongrel, it sure is a nice looking mongrel (Hey, my dog is an Olde English Bulldog - also a bit of a mongrel... but the best damn dog I've ever owned). The cape looks outstanding in the photographs and I am confident that BK did nail the fit on the jacket (just like they did on my BK Arco A-2).
Mate! Impressive jacket. As a satisfied customer you may potentially upset some here with pics of your latest acquisition. ;) Just go easy on the more sensitive types. Wishing you a speedy delivery...

Couchy
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Platon, you should do more of these customer-order pics - particularly on your affiliate thread on the FL. People love, and are more influenced by, 'show' rather than 'tell'.
Thanks Sloan, I 'll talk to BK about doing it.
 

Vcruiser

Well-Known Member
I don't think anyone on this forum( or the FL..for that matter)are criticizing customer's of BK.. whatsoever..while reviewing and thrilled with the jackets. However..some don't want to see the VLJ turned into a BK advertising site by BK management who seem to go in and out of disguise of who they are...trying to promote the product. It's as simple as that.
We need more BK 'customer' reviews photos and threads...and those don't need to be contained in only the 'Manufacturer's Section'. That's what everyone has been waiting for all this time rather than just company hype inserted where ever they think they can get away with it.
Van
 

ausreenactor

Well-Known Member
I am sure a few customers have been put off reviewing their jackets. I recall one review where the pics of a similar GW were put up and then the post morphed into a BK bash. Like this one. And the only people screaming for the reviews are the critics? I am sure there are many here with BK jackets that are more than happy to have them, but would not even contemplate a review. Since my posts about my Antique Russet VHH A-2 I appear to have 'sold' two more forum members on BK jackets. Based on facts only, and not even the jacket at the end of it. Hides, interaction and timelines appear to be the key selling points in both instances. All done via PMs where the individuals concerned can gather the info they need without the possibility of having their requests for info overshadowed by the protests of others. First it was Aero that copped it, then ELC, then Aero again and now BK appear to be the whipping boy. There are plenty of posts to read on the forum. You can 'steer' clear of anything you do not want to read? (Pun intended)... Get your parents to set up some internet filters if it is a major concern.

And yes, I am a BK customer as of Oct 14... paid in full...happy already, with the final product still to come this week. And the thoughts of the next one in my mind already. I WELCOME Platon's input and updates. Here, on the Facebook page and anywhere else I can get it. BK interact with their target market, their first time and repeat customers. What more needs to be explained? Are the GW customers/fan club that bored in the interim that they need to deride other makers or customers?

Look over there! Eastman pockets are too high!! ;)
 

ausreenactor

Well-Known Member
And many here would love to see JC posting more regularly. As a walking, talking reference library the value of input to queries from new forum members and old 'veterans' alike would be immeasurable. Sadly it is... Not too many posts over the five years of this iteration of the forum.

What is the preference? To have LOTS of input from a jacket maker keen to attract our business OR to have the bare minimum? I know where my money and preferences go. Every time! Fine for someone just down the road, but for someone paying international shipping on both choices? In ANY line of work. Too much information is better than none at all.
 

Vcruiser

Well-Known Member
Don't see it that way at all...but rather..BK management insisting 'Look over here at BK'..'All other jacket manufacturers are inferior'(and they are fine with those tactics). Slipped into anywhere they can get a hook in...until they are confronted. We're talking BK [not their customers]. Like Tom and others have said.."Very unusual for jacket company 'personnel' ". So obtrusive that they still can barely contain themselves to only a Manufacturing Section for their ads.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
So - while my jacket is a bit of a mongrel, it sure is a nice looking mongrel (Hey, my dog is an Olde English Bulldog - also a bit of a mongrel... but the best damn dog I've ever owned). The cape looks outstanding in the photographs and I am confident that BK did nail the fit on the jacket (just like they did on my BK Arco A-2).[/quote]

And that is the beauty of an A1 isn't it? I mean it was butcherd from day one! Because of the corps not the force... Different collars..cuffs..buttons..pockets..snaps..Hell! you can do what you want with one of these,so long as you don't put a zipper on it, and keep the cut right. That's why I bought a blue from the few. It's a knockout!! I stepped out in it over the weekend and they were queueing up!! Jeez!!! Next up is a Bk in olive with red Knitts,buttons and stitch.And I don't give a damn how long I have to wait for it. Then perhaps a snake skin! So I can run off the Nicholas cage quote "This is a snake skin jacket and for me it is a symbol of my individuality and my belief in...." Well you know the rest!
My point is drop the shackles and live it up....We ain't got much time left.
Regards.
 

Vcruiser

Well-Known Member
The preference for many has always been to see forum member 'customers' getting the skinny on and sharing their independent thoughts about a manufacturers jacket after they have it in hand. This means much more than a makers hype. Many 'customers' have forwarded different makers site photos and even new offerings with great success over the years. This leads to other members easily expressing what they think about what they are viewing rather than trying to discuss the details with a member of a jacket company management breathing down their neck with more rah rah in every new thread...and recently even sales desperation that seems to seep in as well.
This thread seems to have been hijacked by a needless customer warning in my view.
Van
 

foster

Well-Known Member
It's a symptom of the Information Age. More info exists, and modern communications make it easy for promotions, etc.

I try very thoughtfully to avoid telling anyone how or where they should spend their own money. All I can do is express my own experiences with the vendors I have dealt with, and hope the information is useful to someone. There's a lot of information out there, but it must still be sifted and filtered. We all have some degree of bias once we part with money for a product.

It's just different marketing efforts as I see it. Some take advantage of the opportunities to broadcast the newest offerings. Others prefer the word-of-mouth marketing as satisfied customers relay their excitement / satisfaction / etc. Buying a jacket is a choice that is costly and longer-lasting than, say, buying lunch which is eaten and forgotten.

It's good to have options. It takes time to research who I want to make a jacket for me, but when balancing the timeframe, the cost, the product, one can also factor the character of the business / company as it is another influence.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Van,
You forget that BK started as a mediocre jacket maker who had only 1 house jacket to show.
Then they decided to invest seriously in repro making and to change category with one big leap.
It took a lot of effort to wipe out the old perception members had about BK (some still think BK don't have Talon).
That's why a little extra "rah rah" was deemed to be required. Now that many jackets appear on BK's website and few jackets came out the door and reviewed by some well respected members, BK is at a whole different level.

Regarding whether the jackets are superior or inferior than others, one will never know until he tries. BK's claims of superiority are based on certain facts (that have nothing to do with taste) whether you like to admit it or not. What I can tell you for sure is that the jackets are far better than what you see in the pictures. Now, one who wants to buy can make up his mind judging from all the info he can get, whether that is customer's reviews or makers' claims.

The preference for many has always been to see forum member 'customers' getting the skinny on and sharing their independent thoughts about a manufacturers jacket after they have it in hand. This means much more than a makers hype.
Reviews are good but they cannot be panacea. If I wear 40 and I order a 44 jacket or give wrong measurements to the maker, I will end up with a jacket that won't fit correctly, so if I post crappy fit pictures everyone will boo the maker. The booing with mislead the newcomers who will subconsciously blacklist the maker.
 

ButteMT61

Well-Known Member
ausreenactor said:
I am sure a few customers have been put off reviewing their jackets. I recall one review where the pics of a similar GW were put up and then the post morphed into a BK bash. Like this one. And the only people screaming for the reviews are the critics? I am sure there are many here with BK jackets that are more than happy to have them, but would not even contemplate a review...

What's worse than the critics are those that saw a bunch of pictures and declared BK the best thing since sliced Steer on an A-2.

Then, guys get these jackets and the shine seems to wear off pretty fast. I see the jackets get flipped with little fanfare. When someone buys a GW, we see the glowing reviews and often a jacket will stay with a happy owner and then make it's way around to other members 'cause nobody here is content for very long.

We see mostly posts from two BK employees so obviously, we want customer reviews, pictures, etc.
We see Jeff waiting and waiting with promises, while BK roll out a new line/hide/name/samples.
We read posts of how stupid "we" are and how bad other makers are.
So yeah Couchy, I'll take the pessimistic side of things if you don't mind. And you are free to cheerlead for them all you like. I read it all 'cause the humor is priceless.
 

ButteMT61

Well-Known Member
Reviews are good but they cannot be panacea. If I wear 40 and I order a 44 jacket or give wrong measurements to the maker, I will end up with a jacket that won't fit correctly, so if I post crappy fit pictures everyone will boo the maker. The booing with mislead the newcomers who will subconsciously blacklist the maker.
And you're different from other makers how???
 
Top