• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso. Whats happening?

Pilot

I’d also add that WW2 fits were all over the place, to the point where most custom sizes today probably are accurate to some or another.

Not years. Try “months.” And the present 7-10 month wait is in large part due to COVID. Last year it was more like 3-4 months. Personally I don’t see anything strange about paying in full and getting your jacket in 3-4 months. If anything, I appreciate not having a second, larger bill that’s going to come due at some indeterminate time.
well said!

Just to update in a galaxy far, far, away (well, January anyway) I ordered a BK RW23380. It arrived today and it looks to be a nice jacket though I've been busy all day so I haven't done much more than try it for fit and take this pic. It'll be interesting to compare this with my Goodwear RW23380 but that can wait for another day.

It looks really nice. Did you get a dispatch notification when it shipped?

Not years. Try “months.” And the present 7-10 month wait is in large part due to COVID. Last year it was more like 3-4 months. Personally I don’t see anything strange about paying in full and getting your jacket in 3-4 months. If anything, I appreciate not having a second, larger bill that’s going to come due at some indeterminate time.

A couple of weeks ago I was actually considering asking for a partial refund which I'd repay upon delivery. The Covid problem is understandable, but the wait had become more 'indefinitely' rather than 7-10 months.

mulceber

A couple of weeks ago I was actually considering asking for a partial refund which I'd repay upon delivery. The Covid problem is understandable, but the wait had become more 'indefinitely' rather than 7-10 months.

@Lord Flashheart's jacket (just delivered) took 10 months. Mine, which is currently in the mail, took 7. Your overall complaint is fair though. It's a frustrating situation but that's the result of COVID, and there's not much even the manufacturer can do to reduce wait times when there are supply line issues in play.

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

To clarify I’d been in touch with Andy and he’d indicated expected shipping just before the website went down. I queried at that point and got an update. But I don’t think I’ve seen a notification as such. A different experience to that with my Dubow, ordered December and delivered July IIRC followed by an email to say it was shipping. The effect of this Covid pandemic is unlike anything I’ve known and has had very sector specific effects across businesses. I’ve commented elsewhere on the communication aspects and that seems to be all or nothing with one or two makers. Curious business model but great jackets Is the best description.

I will say this though. The wisdom here was that with both Dubow and BK I’d get my jackets. In May, when that looked a very good question I decided to take a punt on a sale GW. And I did that largely on the “Life’s too short to stuff a mushroom” principle when the opportunity presented. The BK and Dubow were way later than I’d hoped but the Forum wisdom was right and I am not too surprised if I’m honest.

Strange year, more A-2’s than maybe I need (though I subscribe to the N+1 principle for cycling and jackets) but I am happy with the result and the choice I now have. You can’t take it with you.

Officer Dibley

Yes, but we aren't in WW2 anymore. There are no quartermasters issuing jackets anymore. Nobody on these forums fought in WW2. Many are not even American.

Bill Kelso and GW both offer high end custom repro jackets. If I'm paying £770 for a jacket, I expect it to fit well. Whether it is a repro jacket or a bikers leather jacket or whatever.

My advice - enjoy your hobby the way you want and don't judge people for wanting a £770 jacket to fit properly. Recognise that we all value different things. You'll live longer that way.

I don't really care anywhere near as much about what you are saying as you appear to care about what i am saying....
But please, suffer the frustrations in silence & don’t bother with these First World problems whilst the world goes to hell over a hoax .....
Just sayin’, whinging is pathetic when it’s about a jacket. Especially a £700 or more one. You are wealthy, be grateful.
My opinion, i’m entitled to it as you are to yours- neither can say the other is wrong and my comment has had enough likes to say that others agree with me.
FFS, people are complaining about how covid is affecting jacket delivery instead of about the effects of covid on people & our economies !!
Happy Sunday All :cool:

@Lord Flashheart's jacket (just delivered) took 10 months. Mine, which is currently in the mail, took 7. Your overall complaint is fair though. It's a frustrating situation but that's the result of COVID, and there's not much even the manufacturer can do to reduce wait times when there are supply line issues in play.

Sure, but you only knew it was 7 months after the 7 months had elapsed. I was told I'd get it two months ago! Wait issues are fine, I know it's not their fault that they had to stop production, but no updates followed by optimistic updates just make it seem like it's never coming. As Flashheart ordered his around the same time as me I'm happy to wait a bit longer though.

To clarify I’d been in touch with Andy and he’d indicated expected shipping just before the website went down. I queried at that point and got an update. But I don’t think I’ve seen a notification as such. A different experience to that with my Dubow, ordered December and delivered July IIRC followed by an email to say it was shipping. The effect of this Covid pandemic is unlike anything I’ve known and has had very sector specific effects across businesses. I’ve commented elsewhere on the communication aspects and that seems to be all or nothing with one or two makers. Curious business model but great jackets Is the best description.

Thanks; I guess it might even be on its way then! :)

Enjoy all of your new jackets and wear the piss out of them . Life is too short to drink cheap wine and wear badly made jackets !;)

Depends how long they take to turn up! :)

Last edited:

Pilot

Oo, I dunno though........;)
I do...a lot!...and if one suspects vintage jackets or WW2 memorabilia is highly priced...
haha ( with all due respect) ... the all Asia markets are crasy... bazzzoooo about high end French wine and liquor...
and for good... no cheapy competitors... nowhere:)
even if OZ and UK have good booze as well:)

mulceber

Sure, but you only knew it was 7 months after the 7 months had elapsed. I was told I'd get it two months ago! Wait issues are fine, I know it's not their fault that they had to stop production, but no updates followed by optimistic updates just make it seem like it's never coming. As Flashheart ordered his around the same time as me I'm happy to wait a bit longer though.

I think that's where the difference lies. I didn't have any expectations about when it would arrive. I knew that my previous jacket had taken 3 months, but the time before that it had taken 4-5 months. I also knew that COVID was wreaking havoc with lead times across the board. I checked in with Andy every month or so, but otherwise focused on other things.

Last edited:
I think that's where the difference lies. I didn't have any expectations about when it would arrive. I knew that my previous jacket had taken 3 months, but the time before that it had taken 4-5 months. I also knew that COVID was wreaking havoc with lead times across the board. I checked in with Andy every month or so, but otherwise focused on other things.

I've left it for a couple of months at a time and put it out of my mind, and I knew when he said it would arrive at the end of August that I'd give him a month beyond that before I considered chasing it up, but I don't think it's unreasonable to have been concerned.
I also didn't have any expectations, but I also was actually aware of how many businesses have been ruined by this pandemic and how my money might have just disappeared.

Lord Flashheart

A fit picture of the BK RW23380 just to prove it exists. I think it fits fine and as I'm my own Quartermaster I'll leave it there. It's different to the GW so I can justify it to myself and my accounts department but that's a very personal opinion. And like Mulceber when I ordered I had no expectation when it would be delivered and any I might've had went with the reality of the pandemic.
IMG_5821.jpeg

Pilot

A fit picture of the BK RW23380 just to prove it exists. I think it fits fine and as I'm my own Quartermaster I'll leave it there. It's different to the GW so I can justify it to myself and my accounts department but that's a very personal opinion. And like Mulceber when I ordered I had no expectation when it would be delivered and any I might've had went with the reality of the pandemic.View attachment 45973
Great jacket!
Thx for sharing!

MrBlue

I don't really care anywhere near as much about what you are saying as you appear to care about what i am saying....
But please, suffer the frustrations in silence & don’t bother with these First World problems whilst the world goes to hell over a hoax .....
Just sayin’, whinging is pathetic when it’s about a jacket. Especially a £700 or more one. You are wealthy, be grateful.
My opinion, i’m entitled to it as you are to yours- neither can say the other is wrong and my comment has had enough likes to say that others agree with me.
FFS, people are complaining about how covid is affecting jacket delivery instead of about the effects of covid on people & our economies !!
Happy Sunday All :cool:

You care enough to respond.

I'm whinging? I hope you never complain about bad service from an estate agent when buying a house, or a car salesman when buying a car. Do you think the mere fact that I'm paying a lot of money means I must shut up and accept bad service? Horrible logic. Bad service is bad service, no matter what you are buying.

And I can dig up plenty of posts from senior members of this forum complaining about the lack of communication from both Bill Kelso and Platon. I don't see you complaining about them.

You're entitled to mind your own business as far as I'm concerned.

Pilot

You care enough to respond.

I'm whinging? I hope you never complain about bad service from an estate agent when buying a house, or a car salesman when buying a car. Do you think the mere fact that I'm paying a lot of money means I must shut up and accept bad service? Horrible logic. Bad service is bad service, no matter what you are buying.

And I can dig up plenty of posts from senior members of this forum complaining about the lack of communication from both Bill Kelso and Platon. I don't see you complaining about them.

You're entitled to mind your own business as far as I'm concerned.
Sorry, but you did not put your $$$$ into Mercedes nor Rolex nor Bentley...
You did believe like a lot of others here in an add for a very well made repro ww2 artifact.... huge legal difference...
The add promised... The generator of the add does not respect nor deliver...( in time..)...with all due respect... you still wonder?
Here since about 4 or more years this „ ambiguity „ has been discussed and debated...
Still many buy and place „commercial contracts „.
Please feel free to read ( and consider if you order) all small prints in the BK and Platoon commercial conditions... and then feel free to come back!
Be it !...Great product... but ... if you dont like what has been discussed here ( for ages) and most probably in a few other places read forums.... cancel and consider others!
Again, great products/jackets ...

Last edited: