Bill Kelso timeline of leather, with a little wear thrown in...

Discussion in 'Repros' started by Skip, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Dr H

Dr H Well-Known Member

All true, but I could have sworn old Shakey was talking about This Ole House...

2. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Steve
    I will gladly volunteer to "take one for the team" on this one;)

Cobblers161 likes this.
  3. Persimmon

Persimmon Well-Known Member

Japan. India. America.
    Let me get my Wikipedia notes out to check that these are actually real countries.

And leave that pencil alone in Ole‘s rear.
    If it came out I may well want to sharpen it to a very fine point and be ever so tempted to stick it, less than gentle, back in.

Cobblers161 likes this.
  4. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Easily mistaken Dr H, but definitely behind the green door round the back of The Globe ;)

Dr H likes this.
  5. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

On a hot day like this... Is this the sign you were thinking of B-Man2?

[​IMG]

B-Man2, Pilot and Smithy like this.
  6. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Following photos are what BK's Duke looks like when worn. Obviously it aint me in it but aside from a more female cut, the waist is tapered in more, its quite a nice looking jacket. Never really been one for biker jackets but this looks classy, not quite biker or maybe its because its not black.

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

Kennyz, dmar836, Pilot and 3 others like this.
  7. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Not the one but ..it works...........
    This is the one I was referring to......
    I have to give the credit to Roughwear he likes to use it. Actually pretty damn funny:D
    Copyofhijack.jpg

BTW ...That's a killer BK jacket for women... I like !!

Pilot and Skip like this.
  8. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

As Burt said that's a real corker of a jacket Matt, nice one!

9. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Thanks gents, the lady's not too bad either ;):cool:.

I knew the one you meant B-man, just thought some humour was required. I'm getting off topic here myself, but imagine givin' that a go on your skateboard:eek:

B-Man2, Pilot and Smithy like this.
  10. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Makes the Cresta Run look like a kids slide in a park!

11. M3Cavalry

M3Cavalry Member

That jacket the liberty HH in russet? Keep eyeing the ANJ3 in that colour.

Skip likes this.
  12. Dr H

Dr H Well-Known Member

A further thought.

I worked closely with Patton while BK were developing their patterns for their Type A-1 variants and that was an enjoyable process. I no longer have the jacket that I posted (sold during another wardrobe cull), but I was very happy with the way it worked out.

The question was posed earlier why do we not hear more about BK jackets/see them reviewed. This thread exemplifies the issue and possibly offers an explanation. A well meaning post to demonstrate how well the BK hides have aged soon degenerates into an individual taking a pop at other another well respected manufacturer’s hides/business practices.

If you’re an owner of a BK jacket, it removes some of the enjoyment of owning/wearing/reviewing the product if this nonsense happens practically every time the jackets are mentioned whether on VLJF or FL.

13. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Well written...
    Will order my first BK as soon as all sizing etc is cleared with them.

14. Persimmon

Persimmon Well-Known Member

As I recall that was a great jacket to look at.
    One of those jackets we let go sometimes and look back a while later and say why did I do that.

Ian, was that General Patton ?

Pilot, Peter Graham and Dr H like this.
  15. Dr H

Dr H Well-Known Member

It was shortly after he was relieved of his command, Alan. He was at a loose end, gardening and dog walking had lost its appeal, looking for something to do...

Platon was marginally easier to work with, though less formally dressed (no jodhpurs, etc.)

The Type A-1 was very well put together with quality parts, very comfortable design, and a really good looking version of the early design with buttons rather than waistband snaps, single loop fastening to collar and slightly sharper looking collar design that laid flat properly.

Skip likes this.
  16. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Thanks Dr H, Hit the nail right on the head.

Certainly is Cav, although if you read my first post on that jacket it was soon after it was released, the next hide after Victory, so 2015 hide. I haven't been in touch with BK since then, but I'm sure they've been developing Liberty hides further if their logical progression of HH history is anything to go by. Earloffunk I think has a newer Liberty and its a lot less 'loud' according to him, and the one on my wife's Duke is quite stiff, its close to 2mm in thickness and takes a bit to wear in, But buttery smooth and tough as nails.

17. Earloffunk

Earloffunk Active Member

Yep, mine is from 2016 (I think, but I would not bet on it...). It is very nice to break in and comfy to wear. No stiffness whatsoever.

Skip likes this.
  18. M3Cavalry

M3Cavalry Member

Thanks guys. Debating whether an ANJ3 would look odd in russet. Certainly yours in the dark seal looks great.

I may have missed something, so pardon my ignorance. Is this Ole guy related in any way to BK, or just a random poster taking shots at John Chapman?

Skip likes this.
  19. Dr H

Dr H Well-Known Member

I've had several vintage AN-J-3 jackets (three presumably issued examples - lacking the maker's labels as always - in seal goatskin and a civilian one by McGregor Sportswear/Doniger in russet capeskin).

Either looks fine - if you're going for goatskin then I'd certainly aim for darker tones, but the russet capeskin looked good in the lighter/warmer colour (it simply didn't suit me any longer - as I get older I'm gravitating towards darker brown jackets).

As to Ole? Who knows? I have my suspicions as it fits an MO, but nothing more than that.

Good luck with the jacket.

Skip likes this.
  20. D97x7

D97x7 Well-Known Member

Hi all, think this is the first time I've posted here even though I've been a member a while, this is my BK Dubow 1755 at about 3 years of age in Seal Liberty HH. I'm loving the way it's aging, you can see what it was like when new in my avatar
    DSC_0882 (Medium).JPG

Greg Gale, Art, Cocker and 10 others like this.